Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air valve problem on a Hohner 114.  (Read 2174 times)

TonyRussellDavis

• Tony Russell Davis (Black Sheep Tone/BLT)
  • Regular debater
  • Mandos'n'guitars'n'boxes'n'pipes'n'stuff.
Air valve problem on a Hohner 114.
« on: July 03, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »

I've been encouraged back to my 1 row 4 stop since reading this forum, but I now have a sore left thumb trying to play basses and work the airvalve. It's not a co-ordination thing, I just can't find a comfortable way to hold it because, with fingers poised over the basses, the edge of the spoon "handle" sticks into and rubs on the side of my thumb. I can just about manage if the top end is tipped away so the keyboard is facing downwards - not ideal! Does anybody else have a problem here? Elastoplast on the valve lever? Make a new one with a different bend in it? Get bigger hands? Forget about 4 stop and get a 2 voice? I had no probs with a 1140 (1 row in G; 4 button basses) but sold it!
There was no problem in the cajun band, working the air valve alone is OK (by holding the bass block a bit lower down) and the band played the bass notes anyway!
Help me? Tony.

Later that day - I have had another look at this and find that the position of the hand-strap affects it. If the strap was over the wrist rather than the fingers it would free up the left hand from holding such an awkward shape to pull the bellows. While waiting for advice I'll try an additional strap/cord or whatever. T.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 02:18:42 PM by TonyRussell »
Call if you're ever in North Yorkshire.

Hello

• Regular debater
  • mmm
Re: Air valve problem on a Hohner 114.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:59:41 PM »

I find it works best if the strap is just behind the knuckles, the bass spoons are operated with index and little fingers and the air spoon operated with the fleshy part of the thumb near the wrist with a sort of squeezing action.
Trying to operate the air spoon with your thumb tip doesn't really work due to it's location and is perhaps why other 1-row boxes with buttons instead of spoons have them located further up.
Trying is the first step towards failing

TonyRussellDavis

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »

I can use any fingers for the basses so I think it's the strap thing - it slips across my fingers between the knuckle and next joint.
I'll stick my hand further through and try keeping it there, thanks, T. (Let you know?)

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 08:38:58 PM »

I find it works best if the strap is just behind the knuckles, the bass spoons are operated with index and little fingers and the air spoon operated with the fleshy part of the thumb near the wrist with a sort of squeezing action.

I tend to use a slight variant with index and ring finger for the basses, but defintiely use a squeezing action for the air spoon with the thumb laying on top of the spoon, rather than trying to press with the thumb.

However it does make a difference how you are trying to play - standing up, sitting, comatose etc. Single shoulder strap and sitting I found most comfortable - standing I seemto end up with the melodeon at somewhere between 45 degrees and horizontal!

Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 06:50:23 AM »

I'm experiencing air valve issues too. My Oakwood has a valve that requires a thumb 'abduction'* (moving away from my palm at right angles) On the instrument that means the button is pushed into the box.

My Gaillard has a very different, and I think clever valve that slides down the left hand end toward my feet (I suspect it moves on a lever deep within). Anatomically my thumb needs to 'flex' viz move toward my index finger. The Gaillard's movement is far more comfortable for my pre-arthritic digit, but is presently rubbing the skin somewhat. It would seem you just can't win once you are past 50.

Reason I post all this is that sore thumbs ain't good, but the solution will depend on many factors. If it's a joint issue (mine is) you could be triggering an arthritis. Well, I'm on brufen at the moment (not helping) and lots of cod liver oil (which seems to work).  The skin on my 'Gaillard movement' thumb aspect is naturally thickening and will sort itself out.

Sounds like Tony has an 'edge of lever' issue. If so I suspect something like bending the edge of the spoon over with pliers might help. But thumbs are complex things and any modification to the digit itself :o might be counterproductive.

Ref to anatomy of thumb movements for the true anorak. Slightly more interestingly, arthritis at the base of thumb is very common and known as "Gamekeeper's thumb" because 1. It was thought to be caused by throttling pheasants; and 2. Melodeons weren't invented when it was described. ;) D3R
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 06:55:11 AM by chrisryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

TonyRussellDavis

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:55:54 AM »

Chris - I bent the lever a little and this did help - I might try making a new one to a different pattern. Your obsevation is right, though, the lever works in the "wrong" plane to be comfortable  and my knobbly thumb feels like it's been "abducted" by aliens. The work progresses (on a diet of cod liver & evening primrose oil, multi-vits and chewable vit-C).
Ideas very much appreciated, Tony.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal