Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: strengths & weaknesses  (Read 8693 times)

tiny

Re: strengths & weaknesses
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 01:04:07 PM »

weaknesses  playing the G on the g row to get the push g base when most of the tune is on the d row.Same for the top A  changing row to get the pull A base
strengths  patience and practise not always is that order!
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

emrock

• Regular debater
  • Busker, based in Southern Germany
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 01:19:53 PM »

Strengths- I can play 99% of tunes with a simple oom pah base, I can play jiggery pokerwork (all be it a little roughly) with bases (though not the same as squeezy due to lack of notes)

Weaknesses- I am getting bored of what sounds like the same base for everything i.e. oom pah, also I have weird purple stretch marks on my upper left arm, presumably from playing the melodeon
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 01:45:36 PM by emrock »

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 01:00:59 PM »

My greatest weakness is to manage the bass rhythm while doing other things with the right hand..
My strength is that I have a great passion for the squeezebox....

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 06:08:45 PM »

My strength is that I have a great passion for the squeezebox....

Me too! It is such a fun and lovely instrument.
I don't get 'jigs'

Folkiekay

• Good talker
  • Hyde Texas Rose
    • Street Squeeze
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 06:50:33 PM »

This is an interesting thread -

My strengths - I love to play.
                     I play fairly decently.
                     I practice everyday for no less than one hour - some days for 4 to 6 hours.
                     I compose my own tunes.
                     I can play any tune I hear by ear.
                     I love to share what I know with people and get them started playing.

My weaknesses -
                     Tempo - sometimes it's difficult to slow a tune down and I play it far too fast. 
                     I have absolutely no idea what keys I play in.  I don't even know what keys each accordion
                     can play in.  I have no idea what the notes are.  (This makes no sense because I play piano
                     and used to play violin, and I can read music.  I think it's just pure laziness on my part.   
                     Can't play stoned - only if mildly stoned.  Makes me wonder how all these musicians who composed
                     were able to do so on herbs. 
                     Sometimes I am playing accordion when I should be doing other things.
                     I think about the accordion (melodeon) when I am at work as a systems analyst.  I don't want to work.
                     I just want to play music.  It has taken over my brain.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 02:12:02 AM »

Strengths - Um... I have fairly high finger agility, meaning that I can play reasonably fast if necessary. I'm good at picking up instruments and getting the basics very quickly, the rest takes more effort. Unfortunately I don't have the cash to be able to play with other fingering systems. I'm competent enough at playing interesting tunes in G, D, A, Em, Am, Bm and so on. I can tell what key a tune is in by listening to it.

Weaknesses - Bass end needs a bit of work still, especially when playing in A. I can't pick up tunes that quickly, annoyingly. Trying to finger harmony parts or even chords alongside a melody does my head in. I tend to start faster than is necessary, especially in sessions.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

HallelujahAl

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 11:39:17 AM »

I think about the accordion (melodeon) when I am at work as a systems analyst.  I don't want to work.
I just want to play music.  It has taken over my brain.

Kay - this is not a weakness but a strength. It is one of the best defences known to the human mind in order to prevent itself going completely bananas from processing all the complete and utter useless junk that life throws at us. Fortunately I'm in a job where I'm able to incorporate my music making into my work-life. All I know is that without my music I would be insane or very drunk ... all of the time!
Blessings, AL

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 04:10:26 PM »

It is one of the best defences known to the human mind in order to prevent itself going completely bananas from processing all the complete and utter useless junk that life throws at us.

Well said  :P It is my principle form of escape, when sailing and walking aren't options.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 12:06:47 PM »

Oh I just love this forum   
I read all the weaknesses and could say to almost all of them " That's me too". It made me feel really good to know I'm not alone with my weaknesses and bad habits.
Thanks

I didn't bother going through the strengths as I don't want to put myself under any pressure!

Louise

Howard Jones

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 04:51:13 PM »

weaknesses  playing the G on the g row to get the push g base when most of the tune is on the d row.Same for the top A  changing row to get the pull A base

I'm puzzled why you regard that as a weakness. I would regard being able to choose the chord you want and fitting way you the melody around that as a strength.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 04:51:54 PM »

Oh I just love this forum   
I read all the weaknesses and could say to almost all of them " That's me too". It made me feel really good to know I'm not alone with my weaknesses and bad habits.
Thanks
that's exactly why i asked the question....I was in a bit of a down mood and to see that I'm not the only one struggling makes me feel better.

I know I'm wierd..I'm the kinda person who listens to depressing music to cheer myself up.

Folkiekay

• Good talker
  • Hyde Texas Rose
    • Street Squeeze
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 07:04:05 PM »

Kay - this is not a weakness but a strength. It is one of the best defences known to the human mind in order to prevent itself going completely bananas from processing all the complete and utter useless junk that life throws at us. Fortunately I'm in a job where I'm able to incorporate my music making into my work-life. All I know is that without my music I would be insane or very drunk ... all of the time!
Blessings, AL

Al,
You might be right about that.  If I had to think about software problems all day long while I work 50 hours a week, I'd be ready for the insane asylum.  Fortunately I'm able to do a top job for the agency while I think about music and accordions.  You are one of the lucky ones with the job you have!

Kay

HallelujahAl

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 09:05:59 PM »

You are one of the lucky ones with the job you have!
Amen!

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 09:10:56 PM »

You are one of the lucky ones with the job you have!

This has very little to do with this forum and it is probably a bit rude to ask, but, how much playing do you manage to do in a day, for um ah work?
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

HallelujahAl

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 10:17:34 PM »

This has very little to do with this forum and it is probably a bit rude to ask, but, how much playing do you manage to do in a day, for um ah work?

Oh loads ;) I mean there's all that practising to do for one thing (in between running a food programme; night shelter; soup kitchen; bluelight support;admin-hell and all my other church-based activities) - I tend to play at least one of the boxes for a midweek friendship group we run(old time happy clappy gospel stuff in the main). When up at the hostel I usually take at least one instrument along and get them singing (anything raucous and funny goes down well). Then I have a round of old peoples homes, nursing homes etc where I usually conduct a brief service which includes a bit of singing (traditional hymns etc)- so a box is my usual accompaniment there too. Then there's our Christmas carolling, which is tricky because I'm not blessed with much of brass band in the current appointment, so the box comes in useful there. Finally there's my regular Sunday ministry (traditional and contemorary christian songs)- and since my church folk are musically challenged I'm able to lead worship either with my box, uke, or guitar or sometimes all three but not at the same time because I leave the miracles and stuff to my boss ;D

So an average week gives me plenty opportunity to play about 3 or 4 times a week in my 'professional' capacity. I'm still not very good -but that's never stopped me yet. The good thing about my kind of role is that I get to include whatever I want as part of it - the work is not prescriptive...except it's ultimate aim that is, which is pretty hard in the current climate. So I try and use any means at my disposal to try and get the message across - that as well as all the practical stuff that I'm involved with.

I am also based from home - which means that I probably play my boxes a lot more than I would if I were to have to travel to an office say. So yes, I'm extremely fortunate! I almost certainly play more than I pray - though I hope there's some truth in the notion as Pope St. Gregory is credited with saying "he who sings, prays twice".
AL

btw I also do weddings, christening and funerals (aka hatching, matching and despatching!) but I'm usually the officiant - not the entertainment :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 08:44:44 AM by HallelujahAl »

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2009, 06:21:38 PM »

I mean there's all that practising to do for one thing (in between running a food programme; night shelter; soup kitchen; bluelight support;admin-hell and all my other church-based activities) - I tend to play at least one of the boxes for a midweek friendship group

Phew!!!!  Makes me feel exhausted just looking at the list.
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

HallelujahAl

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »

Phew!!!!  Makes me feel exhausted just looking at the list.
Not half as tired as I am doing it - although to be fair it doesn't all happen at once. The night shelter just runs through the winter months; the bluelight support is an emergency services support (yes, we were in Toll Bar during the floods running a mobile support canteen 24/7!) - so thankfully doesn't happen all the time; the admin-hell is of course continual which I why I get to spend so much time on this blessed computer! The rest of the time's my own ;)
Blessings
AL

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2009, 08:17:48 PM »

I'm the kinda person who listens to depressing music to cheer myself up.

Ah, Leonard Cohen. Don't you just love it?

Like a bird on a wire
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried, in my way, to be free. >:E
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

flipper

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 02:41:50 AM »

Al I think you are a very lucky man to be doing a job which you so obviously enjoy and can play so much as well. that has to be the icing on the cake.

My Strengths: I can get the RH and LH playing at the same time and I can play a waltz base although I have always felt it was the hardest to fit in.
I can generally play a tune which I have not heard before in a session especially when being played by a really strong player.
I have now been playing a D/G box for about 20 years and haven't tired of it yet.

Weaknesses: I worry that people are thinking that the bases I am playing are not the right ones. ( I flatly refuse to change rows and bellows direction to put in one Em base because someone who plays an accordian and doesn't have to worry about bellows direction or row thought that it sounded quite nice)
I cannot stand people who have been playing for 6 weeks and tell you you are playing in the wrong key because they have that tune in a book. (me grumpy old woman !!! well maybe just a bit!!)
I cheat when playing fast Irish stuff and don't play base at all unless it is a tune which i have had time to sit down and think about and maybe have had the music and will probably never play a base line for a slide.
Chocolate

sue
Sue,
Dino Baffetti D/G, Weltmiester B/C

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 09:13:07 AM »

I'm the kinda person who listens to depressing music to cheer myself up.

Ah, Leonard Cohen. Don't you just love it?
I'm not that hardcore.... ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal