Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone know what brand this accordion is?  (Read 1322 times)

Ribs

Does anyone know what brand this accordion is?
« on: September 01, 2018, 03:50:31 PM »

Hello everyone. I picked up a keyboard accordion yesterday as a project, but for the life of me I can't figure out what brand it is. If it ever had a nameplate, it fell off before I got ahold of it. I'll link to a picture of the accordion and the little badge that fell off of it almost immediately after I bought it. Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/F9uOGse

Edit: I forgot to mention, it says "made in Italy" on the back, and right next to that, the number "969/69" was scratched in lightly. I'm not sure if the number was from the manufacturer or not, but it looks like it was. Also, I'm assuming that the accordion is rather old, because the valves are leather.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 04:14:46 PM by Ribs »

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
Re: Does anyone know what brand this accordion is?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:44:22 PM »

It would be a mistake to use Leather valves as an indicator of age, many modern manufacturers and restorers still use Leather valves. here at Melnet, we are probably better at identifying Melodeons as opposed to Piano Accordians, but it Looks '60's and rather cheaply made judging from the plasticcy looking front grille. I would hazard a guess that the "69" in your scratched number refers to 1969 as the date of manufacture.

Have you tried contacting one of the Piano accordion sites for advice ??

From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Ribs

Re: Does anyone know what brand this accordion is?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 03:25:05 PM »

It would be a mistake to use Leather valves as an indicator of age, many modern manufacturers and restorers still use Leather valves. here at Melnet, we are probably better at identifying Melodeons as opposed to Piano Accordians, but it Looks '60's and rather cheaply made judging from the plasticcy looking front grille. I would hazard a guess that the "69" in your scratched number refers to 1969 as the date of manufacture.

Have you tried contacting one of the Piano accordion sites for advice ??

That's true, I probably shouldn't use leather valves as a good indicator of age generally speaking. In this particular case, though, the leathers look like they're probably original to the instrument as they're badly curled. To my untrained eye, it looks unlikely that the instrument has ever been serviced, or if it has, it's been decades. I'm almost certain that it was built as a low-end child/student model, because it's only got 12 basses and no buttons to change the voice. I was surprised to find that the grille is actually metal; when I first got it, it had a horrendously ugly and damaged plastic "mother-of-pearl" coating on it, but I removed that layer before I took the picture. I've attempted to make an account on accordionists.co.uk, but I'm waiting to have my account approved. I already had an account here, so I thought posting it here was worth a shot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal