Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Weltmeister in D - basses query  (Read 878 times)

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Old Weltmeister in D - basses query
« on: July 26, 2016, 11:24:10 PM »

I've been playing with an old Weltmeister one row in D, age uncertain. The basses didn't work, the A and D main bass reeds were both fouling the reed plate near the tip and sounded dreadful. The reeds were square, it was necessary to gently relieve a small lip on the edge of the cutout to get them to sound. Once sounding, they do sound rather majestic.

The other two are a pull B and a push F#, coaxed into life with a gentle ping or two (and the valves falling off, perhaps). Was a little confused by these at first, but they seem logical (not being a one-row player). A is 445, again unexpected, but most reeds in the bass end seem fairly close. I was a bit concerned, as many of the reeds seem to have rather a lot of filing.

Just pondering about the tuning, mostly, for those who might have a clue - would this have been a standard tuning, or a special for someone?
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
Re: Old Weltmeister in D - basses query
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 05:33:52 AM »

I have no idea what the story of this instrument is, but lots of filing may be from just being played a lot, as brass reeds don't hold a tuning as well. I found that low reeds will tend to go sharp and the high reeds go flat.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal