Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conversion?  (Read 2144 times)

911377brian

Conversion?
« on: August 15, 2016, 05:54:22 PM »

Any one converted a two button bass end to spoons a la Hohner 112 and did it work?

mory

Re: Conversion?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 06:59:41 PM »

Don't do it you'll kill it. It is a completely different playing position to a 114 it's more akin to to your first one rows. Please just play it you'll soon get used to it. This would be a real shame mate.  All the Best mory

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 07:12:14 PM »

I haven't, sorry. But I'm left wondering why you'd want to do this? I have boxes with both and, while I've yet to really come to terms with the bass end, so far I've noticed no difference whatsoever in the ease (or not) of playing either.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

911377brian

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 08:01:12 PM »

I don't want to do it but was asked by a friend of a friend who had briefly played a 112 if it was possible. He has an old 1040 from what I gathered from his description and didn't get on with the buttons. He's 90 by the way.... Moray, don't sweat mate, it's not the Albrecht! My enquiries yesterday for Kay's eMail address was to do with something else...

911377brian

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 08:20:39 PM »

I did enquire about having the whole base end changed on the Albrecht after the friend of a friend's enquiry, but it was of passing interest....

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 09:34:08 PM »

I get all sorts of enquirers for odd conversions.  Usually the owner of the instrument just needs to get stuck in and do some more practice. :-). The most extreme was a DG conversion of a club box where they wanted a pull C# on the half row because they couldn't find the one on the D row!  I had to advise that I would not do it.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 09:45:43 AM »

The most extreme was a DG conversion of a club box where they wanted a pull C# on the half row because they couldn't find the one on the D row!
Whilst that might be odd it doesn't sound extreme to me. Especially when I think of the changes I have requested. I had 2mm cut off a high end clarinet once. The technician had a sit-down chat with me first. Best change I ever made.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

george garside

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 11:11:40 AM »

I think a lot of 'conversions/alterations' are  made in the hope  the the playing of the box will be easier.  This may sometimes be ok with the proviso that whilst some tunes/types of music may be easier it may make others more difficult!

Standard setups generally provide a good  overall balance on the assumption that the player will become proficient on the instrument aand by definition a  1 row2 row will be more limited than a 2 row  which in turn will be more limited by a 2.5 or 3 row . similarly  a19 or 21 button will be more limited than a 23 etc etc

Whilst a great deal can be achieved and much fun  had by finding ways round the limitations of  a small (ish) diatonic box ,and  fully developing the noble art of faking, there may be a point when some  individuals may be better off considering a British Chromatic, Continental Chromatic or even a piano box as  a companion for the " wee melodeon"

george >:E ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 01:53:38 PM »

I there may be a point when some  individuals may be better off considering a British Chromatic, Continental Chromatic or even a piano box as  a companion for the " wee melodeon"

george >:E ;)
I'm committed to moving in the other direction. Having hankered after a 3 row, I realise that I only really use one of the helper buttons regularly on the 2+2 - and that is mainly in one direction too. And the PA is definitely being sold to fund another melodeon.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal