Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rivera accordion info  (Read 1917 times)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Rivera accordion info
« on: August 21, 2016, 12:43:34 AM »

I just return from a trip to PEI, while roaming though a museum in Montaque
I spotted this accordion sitting on a shelf (not really being displayed and no info with it).
The case was solid and heavy maybe bakelite? It looked nice the rest of it needed work. I press buttons and it made noise, I forgot to check the key.
Any one have info on these?

Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
Re: Rivera accordion info
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 11:00:25 AM »

I would venture to suggest, maybe a Hohner or possibly Koch made instrument made for sale by a third party. ??
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:02:40 AM by Henry Piper »
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 07:42:24 PM »

Thanks Henry, I notice that the top of corners seemed different than hohners I've seen and I keyboard ends were different than my 1040.
also the case was thicker than others I've seen.
Could very well be a Hohner ?
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

triskel

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 01:23:32 AM »

It doesn't look like a Trossingen product to me, more like a Klingenthal one, but I couldn't tell you which of the many firms there made it.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 01:31:16 AM »

Thanks Stephen!
So German made then.
Did some makers use Bakelite for the case? as I said very heavy feel.

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 12:00:44 PM »

Thanks Stephen!
So German made then.
Did some makers use Bakelite for the case? as I said very heavy feel.

I have seen a Baekalite cased instrument some years ago, I seem to remember it was a Brown mottled colour, with what looked like an impressed "A" in a circle  rather like an Anarchist Symbol !! on it, I think it was in A/D
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 10:38:04 PM »

The A in a circle would be Kay Albrecht, and his boxes are very nicely veneered wood, not Bakelite.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 10:45:51 PM »

The A in a circle would be Kay Albrecht, and his boxes are very nicely veneered wood, not Bakelite.
It would be fair to add that the exquisite finish on his boxes is so far away from the typical wood finish on a melodeon that one could easily think it was something else.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 09:38:08 AM »

No, definitely not Albrecht !!  this was 15, maybe twenty years ago, and the melodeon was  very definitely some sort of plastic, with  mottled/marbled casework in various shades of brown I definitely remember the interior was rough and  appeared to have casting or moulding marks on it, in style it reminded me of some of the streamlined art deco  style Hohners from , presumably, the 30's 40's period. I wish I'd taken more notice of it at the time, but the owner ( A neighbour)brought it to me to find out if it was worth anything. I seem to remember telling her to take it to  Bruno Allodi's in Lewisham as I couldn't tell her anything more about other than that it was in A/D, and was perfectly playable. I,m not absolutely certain about the trade mark being an "A", but that's how I remember it, I could be wrong, it was a long time ago !!!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 11:35:28 AM »

OK, certainly not Albrecht if it was that long ago.
It does seem like the same art deco style that Kay has been imitating with those highly polished walnut veneers.

(Is anything made of bakelite nowadays?)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 03:47:29 PM »

(Is anything made of bakelite nowadays?)

I don't think so.....Bakelite ( or Baekalite Named for its inventor, a Dutch or Belgian scientist called Baekeland,) was a Phenol based product that used Asbestos as a Filler, and tends to break down over a long period of time when exposed to sunlight releasing the Asbestos, I think it can also become a fire hazard after long ageing in adverse conditions  although one of the properties that made it popular originally was its heat resistance !    the last thing I'd want is my melodeon bursting into flames at the climax of a particularly vigorous Sicilian Tarantella............ although that might be a good party trick. !!!!!!

P.S.....Not that I play Sicilian Tarantella's .....vigorous or otherwise !!

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:11:56 PM by Henry Piper »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal