Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting out - do's and don'ts?  (Read 2472 times)

eitreach

Starting out - do's and don'ts?
« on: June 27, 2009, 03:55:36 PM »

Hi. :)

As mentioned a couple of times by now, I'm just starting out on the melodeon - and concertina, on the side. I've been playing string instruments for a good five years time now, without a teacher, which has resulted in some bad habits, which I'm hoping I'd be able to avoid when starting out on a different kind of instrument, like the accordeon.

So, I was wondering - are there any certain things I should take notice of at this point? Things that I should try and do, and things that I should avoid doing? General tips on starting out would be greatly appreciated as well.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Starting out - do's and don'ts?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 04:35:34 PM »

I'm sure this question has been asked before. Take the time to scroll through the pages in this forum (Teaching and Learning) - you'll find answers to many beginner questions.

Cheers
Steve

rats

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 11:35:07 PM »

Theo -- I guess it's okay to name him so familiarly, august stranger though he is -- mentioned that in giving lessons he teaches his DG students to play in A first. I wandered away from my computer and tried some stuff in A. My wig levitated to the ceiling -- oh jesus so THAT's how they do it! Now I wish, as a still really crumby and limited player, that I'd started out learning crossrow instead of thinking of my box as basically confined to the key of G, with associated minors and whatnot.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 12:01:59 AM »

Think of your tune in chords.  It's an accordion. The notes matter much less than the rhythm and the underlying riff. Don't worry - the fiddles will carry the tune for you. Yes, starting in A, or even Bm isn't a terrible idea, but might lose some neophytes at the starting gate.

I started my teenage nephew in F# Blues on his loaned D/G - and he's still playing.  D3R
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 07:40:18 AM by chrisryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

rats

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 02:19:04 AM »

F#! [Fainting.]

My understanding of crossharp -- which, while it doubtless sucks, is better and of longer standing than of anything to do with playing the accordion -- has been that the key drops a fourth. I.e., on a DG box you might play in G so as to make the flat seventh (F). To play blues, etc., in C you go out and buy a Marine Band in F; for the low lubricious honk you buy an A harp and play in E. Somehow I think that's not what you're talking about. Not to hijack this topic, but would you kindly clarify about the F#?

As a still prettywell rank beginner, though, I do wish I'd started out playing the DG in A. It's got so much going on. The straightforward push/pull push/pull push/pull pull/push scales are adequately comfortable that I promptly got stuck in them.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 06:58:27 AM »

F#! [Fainting.] would you kindly clarify about the F#?

OK - the following pull only notes are all in the F# 'Blues' scale - and include the whole scale!

Blues =   tonic -  minor 3rd -   4th  - flat 5th -  5th  -  minor 7th -  tonic

You then finger like this ... (on some kit the top 'E' is inner row)

The pattern your fingers then make across the rows goes G.G.D - G.D.D .. repeat pattern)  Suck it and see. If you start on 'A' pull with the same sequence of buttons you get an A 'major' Blues.  8)

All standard boxes have this 'build in'.  The pull Blues scale is a semitone below tonic note of your inner row. So a D/G pulls F# Blues,  G/C pulls B Blues ..  C/F pulls E Blues. My nephew's doing GCSE (yup!) jazz on piano. That's why this 'first attempt' made so much more sense than all that push/pull stuff. Also a nice surprise for any session unfriendly guitarist playing E or E7 chords with his capo on 1st fret to repel boarders :||:    This scale (on a D/G) also works over A myxolydian (much Country and Western stuff)

Apologies to eitreach, but please do have a go too. It really gets your fingers crossing the rows and also saves wear and tear on your poor left arm ;)

D3R

Been advised to try my diagram as an attachment - here goes ...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 10:43:46 AM by chrisryall »
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal