Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does this model have a name?  (Read 5982 times)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Does this model have a name?
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 05:37:35 PM »

That's what my grandchildren think I am!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

triskel

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 06:35:47 PM »

That's what my grandchildren think I am!

I was tempted to put "daddy-o" after it!  ;)

But I hope you followed my link to the Google Images search, to see the fully-streamlined ones there.

But looking at your photo, I'd wonder if your Club II isn't pre-war anyway, with that dark brown varnished finish (you hadn't mentioned that). Post-war ones were celluloid in the catalogues, whilst (not being very familiar with them in this country) I don't know that even any of the smaller Club Models ever employed those swivelling catches - the larger ones and the 3-rows certainly didn't anyway...

triskel

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 06:44:23 PM »

... I don't know that even any of the smaller Club Models ever employed those swivelling catches - the larger ones and the 3-rows certainly didn't anyway...

Ah, yes - I've a catalogue photo of a Club IB that shows it with the swivelling catches! (But not the other models.)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 06:55:10 PM »

Stephen, thank you for the correction on the date, I was going on memory, which was never completely reliable, and is now heading for completely unreliable. ;-)

I wasn't meaning you're wrong Theo - your copy could be a reprint or a later edition, I don't know. But I bought mine (in Germany) when it first came out.

It was a genuine thank you with no irony intended.   I too bought my copy when it first came out.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2016, 07:09:17 PM »

Thank you for adding to my confusion!!!!!!! To coin a phrase, I think I'm now back as far as the new Hohner manufacturers (Chinese?).
Dear Stephen, it seems to me that you're competing with Psugmogg Volbenz for the member with the most enviable resources, even though they're obviously very different.
I think I'll offer this one for sale, before it melts my brain altogether!

triskel

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 07:13:22 PM »

Post-war ones were celluloid in the catalogues ...

In fact a rare wartime French Hohner catalogue from September 1941 reveals the Club II was already celluloid-covered by then so, with that "Christmas tree" grille and the varnished finish, I'd suspect yours is most likely from 1938-9 Edward.  :Ph

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2016, 07:41:13 PM »

Well, well, well! You see? I probably couldn't have found that out in a month of Sundays.
Many many thanks for your efforts; a result! (And from the authoritative source!)

I'll just add that I don't like the look of the "streamlined" things. Judging by the design of almost all of the popular, expensive, boxes (Casta and the other Costallotis) it would seem that I'm not alone in that. Give me the old square things, any day. (Daddy-oh!)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 08:03:05 PM by Edward Jennings »

Microbot

• Respected Sage
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2016, 09:32:43 PM »

Hi Ed, Steve and all,

... reverting back to an earlier question + picture from Ed, below is the model I've tended to call a 'pre-Erica' ... and I think it warrants the description.

I know the term 'pre-Erica' can be confusing when it is spoken, because of the 1930s Club Model Erika ...But the distinctive thing about the model in the photo below - where it differs from Ed's and where it is similar to the modern Erica - is the curved shape of the grill & the fact that the treble end isn't 'boxed around' with wood ... the treble soundboard is more exposed and you can actually see the edge of the treble pallets in the photo below. Like the modern Erica ... these can really deliver!

and just underlining Steve and Theo's point about to the list of Hohner ommited models ... this is a 12-bass version.

cheers

Mike R

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2016, 09:53:58 PM »

I have an eight bass version of this, post war according to the feet, a really nice box. In that gorgeous red.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2016, 11:08:16 PM »

That 12 bass one is startlingly pretty! I've often fancied trying to link a 12 bass left hand end to my 1140. As a long-time bass singer (not all that good, nor all that bass, to be perfectly honest) I really feel that I could (eventually) manage to knock out a proper bass line to run alongside a melody. All I would need to do then, is to get my hands working independently!

SHTUM

• Regular debater
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2016, 02:24:15 PM »

"... this is a 12-bass version."

Mike, is the clear perspex at the top of the grill effective at equalising the sound, or is it for something else?
 I,m thinking of trying some kind of baffle on the trichord at for the outside row which in noticably sharper in tone than the rest.
Any info on evening out the sound would be appreciated.
                                    Cheers,JNM SY

PS, sorry for drifting off topic, I,m new to posting stuff.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 02:27:15 PM by JNM SY »

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »

Well it's arrived, and it's not in bad nick, (bit of bellows wear) but having been led to believe it might be Bb Eb Ab, (the vendor wasn't sure, so I took a chance) it turns out to be G C F.
It plays with the usual clack one expects from a Hohner. The tuning needs refining, and something inside rattles, but all in all not a bad wee box.
So it's going up on sale again. £250 incl UK postage would give me my money back. So if anybody's interested?
Will put it in the proper section, once I have taken some photo's.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2016, 09:02:48 PM »

Is it OK to jump into this thread to catch the knowledgeable unawares and ask which model this is, too? Any help appreciated, thanks.

No. 1600, of similar vintage to the 3-row in the original post.

Some people these days might refer to it as a "pre-Erica" - but that gets especially confusing in this context because Erika/Erica had already been used, as a name for a small Club Model, only a few years earlier...

Here is a picture of a two voice club box with the name Erica with an "c".  Never sen for the first time today.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:15:00 AM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

triskel

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2016, 04:16:45 AM »

No. 1600 ...

Some people these days might refer to it as a "pre-Erica" - but that gets especially confusing in this context because Erika/Erica had already been used, as a name for a small Club Model, only a few years earlier...

Here is a picture of a two voice club box with the name Erica with an "a".  Never sen for the first time today.

That one (with its wooden grille) looks like an early version Theo, but I have two different German Hohner catalogues (both from as late as 1938) that show the same 214 model with the metal grille, but one has the "Erica" spelling on it, and the other says "Erika"...  :o

I've more to say, but I'll have to come back to this thread when I have more time.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »

As with many of your postings, we'll be waiting with bated breath!

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2017, 01:33:13 AM »

I thought this only cane in 2 voice but a three voice I wonder if those reedblocks would be interchanchable with the Corona 3?

Thanks

Also who plays CFB? I’m searching for that key and I get a lot
Of Russian /Slovakian / folks playing some honky funky boxes :)
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal