Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you identify the boxes?  (Read 5548 times)

Andrius

• Regular debater
Re: Can you identify the boxes?
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 10:37:33 PM »

Oh, now I understand.
I don't know why it is so.
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

tirpous

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 01:09:17 AM »

Andrius, I'm intrigued by the half-moon shaped filed (?) bit on the valve side of the reed slot! What's its purpose, anyone?

Good question, they don't look equal some look like more material is gone and it makes me wonder if maybe something was rubbing it during tuning or filing of the inner reed.

I rather think it's part of the manufacturing process.  I have a few old boxes where all the reed plates are like that.

tirpous

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 01:34:01 AM »

Couple of pictures...  Note there is a half-moon at both ends of the slot on the bass reedplate.  The other plates also have a half-moon at the rivet end of the slot (hidden by valves).

triskel

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2018, 05:10:11 AM »

May be you can scan or take picture of this page in Koch catalog?

I'll see what I can do when I'm not as tired, but my scanner is getting old and creaky, as is my computer, and also myself, whilst my internet connection is pretty awful too...  :(

I noticed the other day that I'd never got around to doing this for you Andrius, but tonight I managed to get the computer, scanner and myself in synch (it takes re-booting all three! ;))

So here's the Polish model (top) from the Koch catalogue:

And also two Russian models:

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 07:03:17 AM »

Thank you very much.
I wish good health for all three (You, PC and scanner) to scan complete catalog someday.
No special needs but very interesting...
Both accordions, first in topic and second I bought from Scott are No. 3182 S
I was asking for scan because first accordion was without grill and few parts missing from bass site.
Then I bought second from Scott, complete and in perfect condition for it's age.
Only difference - sign "M. Hohner" attached. Interesting - it's old, made by Koch, only with new name after overtake, or Hohner made more...
And - no "genuine Russian tuning". Russian tuning it's like all reed plates are reversed. Both accordions are in standard tuning.

Also it was nice to find model 17¾ - I own one in A/D and second in C/F, but this is 12 bass model.

Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

Doug Eisemann

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 01:52:25 AM »

My apologies for barging into a thread like this,  as a person of little experience and not much to say for the past few months, but I have been quite interested in people's takes on these Koch and Hohner "Polish or Russian Style" boxes. 
I say this because I took a slight departure from my interest in early American diatonic accordions and purchased 2 Polish made boxes,  both in C/F,  one from Scott Bellinger and another on Ebay.

In my research into their peculiarities,  I was attempting to figure out how the German made equivalents from Koch or Hohner fit in.
It seems that Koch made a clear differentiation between their so called "Polish" models,  and their "Russian" models.  It would appear however, that Hohner simplified things by simply calling the 3182 "Polish or Russian" 

What I am still not sure of is if the "Genuine Russian Tuning"  as advertised by Koch was simply a reversal of the scale push vs. draw (this is where my lack of music terminology knowlege gets me in trouble.) as in many Russian diatonic boxes,  or an actual difference in tuning.    Listening recordings of old Polish and Russian accordions does make me think there were some specific tuning peculiarities,  but whether or not that is what Koch and/or Hohner meant,  I am not sure.

One other point of interest,  both of my Polish boxes are 2 voice with the treble reeds on long brass plates,  something I have noticed seems most common on older Polish or Russian instruments (as well as Bandoneons and Chemnitzers)   I believe it was mentioned somewhere,  but I would imagine Koch and Hohner used more typical individual reed plates. 

Again,  my apologies for the intrusion,  but my interest in this somewhat less discussed style of melodeon has been greatly piqued.

Thank you and best regards,
Doug Eisemann
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal