Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Messervier Two-Voice!  (Read 3151 times)

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
Messervier Two-Voice!
« on: December 21, 2007, 02:54:47 PM »

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn8j20aO0Tc&NR=1 for a well-played Quebecois reel played on a Messervier two-voice accordeon.  Messervier made a few of these two-voice instruments when he was beginning to build and sell accordeons (most in the 1970's, I think).  Sebastian Dionne has one and it sounds great like this one.  The blue strip on the accordeon body is very typical of Messervier's 1970's accordeons. It's actually a strip of textured plastic glued onto the accordeon body -- it sounds pretty naff (and it is) but those accordeons (two-and four-voice) are great to play and sound beautiful.  Most of the four-voice instruments that he made during that time do not have switches in the stops (i.e. no working stops, all reeds are playing all the time) -- I'm not sure about the two-voice instruments.
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
Re: Messervier Two-Voice!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 01:50:44 AM »

Bruce,
I think that if you listen carefully, this is probably a four voice box with two decorative stops (also used for picking up the accordion!).  I've heard (and played) Sebastien's two-voice, and it sounds totally different, more like a loud Hohner Corona.
-Andy

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
Re: Messervier Two-Voice!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 03:20:50 PM »

Bruce,
I think that if you listen carefully, this is probably a four voice box with two decorative stops (also used for picking up the accordion!).  I've heard (and played) Sebastien's two-voice, and it sounds totally different, more like a loud Hohner Corona.
-Andy 

__.  Yes, of course you're right.  The woodwork on Sebastien's accordeon is completely different, too.  This woodwork is very much like two 1970's Messervier's that Sabin Jacque owns - both of which are 4-voice and have *4* stop knobs which are also only decorative/handles.
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal