Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: mini melodeons  (Read 7879 times)

tiny

mini melodeons
« on: June 28, 2009, 08:42:52 AM »

Would anyone be able to advise me whether it is worth buying the mini child melodeon for a school morris side ages between 7 and 11.
I play melodeon for the side and we have had a harmonica workshop and some children are keen to move on to melodeon. I'm just wondering if the restrictions would be too great as in limited notes, I need to justify the expense! looking to buy maybe 10. Hope this makes sense and its posted in the correct place.
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: mini melodeons
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 09:03:05 AM »

If you mean the standard Chinese mini melodeon they have a number of down sides

• Only ever seen by me on in the key of C
  • The chinmost* button is the key note so restrict the tunes that can be played
  • The air button is in a really odd place

But as a starter melodoen they have a certain charm

*(c) Lester Bailey - Neologism to describe the button nearest your chin

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 09:34:01 AM »

Might be worth asking somewhere like Hobgoblin for a demo box with the potential to negotiate a good price for 10

their prices are on the high side ...

...anyone here have contact with the importer?
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

tiny

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:39:16 PM »

tiny

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 12:49:29 PM »

Might be worth asking somewhere like Hobgoblin for a demo box with the potential to negotiate a good price for 10

their prices are on the high side

good idea I'll try that thanks javascript:void(0);

tiny

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 12:50:11 PM »

opps not sure how to put the smiley face up!

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 08:32:19 PM »

My experience with the Chinese mini boxes is that they are rarely really playable fresh out of the box. I think the most that kids can usually do is get a back and forth 'hee-haw' out of them..... :||:
   A simple tune is difficult, mainly because of lack of air due to leaky pallets, valves and bellows corners. They can be greatly improved, however, but takes a bit of hands-on.

tiny

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 09:16:49 PM »

My experience with the Chinese mini boxes is that they are rarely really playable fresh out of the box. I think the most that kids can usually do is get a back and forth 'hee-haw' out of them..... mel2
   A simple tune is difficult, mainly because of lack of air due to leaky pallets, valves and bellows corners. They can be greatly improved, however, but takes a bit of hands-on.

Hmm doesn't sound good. Has anyone any other suggestions that would help these lovely primary children?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 08:23:08 PM »

Hmm doesn't sound good. Has anyone any other suggestions that would help these lovely primary children?

Yes - harmonicas,  even cheaper than mini-melodeon, and fewer parts to go wrong.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 07:21:03 PM »

Certainly they do need a fair bit of tweaking to make them properlley playable though I was amazed to find out that they are wooden with a "pearloid" type outer covering and fitted with removable reed blocks just like a little Erika! I have one in pink, my wife bought it for me.

I think Theo has a good point about the harmonicas.

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

tiny

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »

I like the sound of the wooden base..  and the colour pink..........      The cute factor would be immense if we had 10 mini melodeon players and some eight year olds dancing a jig to shep hey.  We have had a harmonica workshop and every child has their own harmonica, this is for those who want to move on to melodeon. I really appreciate the help. (:)   

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 09:24:17 PM »

Sounds like a fun project, tiny. If you go through with it, please make sure that you have a video cam present!
      Keep in mind that most of these little Chinese boxes seem to be in the key of C. To add a bit of backbone to the performance, it might be a good thing for an experienced player, yourself perhaps, playing along on a robust Hohner or such, to fill in the spaces. Best of luck!!..................jwf

:||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :||:

tiny

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 09:46:20 PM »

Thanks it does sound fun. The side are dancing at Bromyard Folk Festival in September, not with mini melodeons this year but who knows maybe next year.  Good idea to play along I have a C/F Erica I will dig it out and have a go.  Even if the tune is not possible for the children maybe the chord sequence would be acceptable.  We do a Mummers play at Christmas that will be the time to try it and I will definitely record it. 

Are there any other mini morris/mumming sides? maybe we could do a mini tour!  Or maybe I'm getting to excited now!!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 11:20:18 PM »

Thanks it does sound fun. The side are dancing at Bromyard Folk Festival in September, not with mini melodeons this year but who knows maybe next year.  Good idea to play along I have a C/F Erica I will dig it out and have a go.  Even if the tune is not possible for the children maybe the chord sequence would be acceptable.  We do a Mummers play at Christmas that will be the time to try it and I will definitely record it. 

Are there any other mini morris/mumming sides? maybe we could do a mini tour!  Or maybe I'm getting to excited now!!

Liam Robinson does Morris work with schools
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

tiny

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 11:28:08 PM »

Liam Robinson does Morris work with schools

Thank you. An interesting and useful  site.

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 12:41:18 AM »

Liam ran the workshop (at Crawley FF) that was the first time I ever actually got to play a melodeon, and also the all-time, no question, best kids' workshop we ever went to at a festival, where we made really plausible and sturdy (as kids crafts go) hobby horses:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bohemiancoast/22628234/

tiny

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 03:17:57 PM »

Hi ,   
just to say that the Primary School that I help in did buy 10 mini melodeons in the autumn term, and at Christmas the children played Shep Hey for the School Morris side. Actually they took part in three concerts in the final week of term, playing as I said Shep Hey alongside me for the Morris/Mummers play, and alongside the  violin section for a concert style evening.
They played and processed into the school hall and although we were not all playing exactly the same thing! the visual effect was tremendous.
Unfortunately we could not video this due to regulations, but maybe at another event this would be possible.

I say we played Shep Hey, the children did the chords and I played the tune.  We are moving on to tunes this term.  Some youngsters can get a tune out on the melody side but the melodeons are greedy on the air, so I shall have to choose very carefully what we learn.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Kautilya

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 06:33:39 PM »

Hi ,  
just to say that the Primary School that I help in did buy 10 mini melodeons in the autumn term, and at Christmas  Any suggestions gratefully received.

REED ORCHESTRA??
Dear Tiny - congratulations on the progress you have made!

Might I suggest that you expand your melodeon band by picking up Theo's earlier tip.  Reinforce them (as there only 10 players at one time) by buying in a bulk batch of chromatic harmonicas. Every child can have their own, (maybe parents pay a little towards the ownership cost). They remain in school bags for a quick blast at any time, any place not just school assembly or story telling time.  

Many people say harmonica is a good introduction to the melodeon or concertina, far more will participate in the music and the melodeons you have bought can do the rounds.

I would recommend the Tower (Shanghai) Chromatic (see photo with button half way down) at  
http://web.mac.com/chaitanya.bhandare/Chaitanya_Bhandare/Blog/Entries/2009/10/25_FREE_HARMONICA_LESSONS.html

In fact I keep half a dozen new Tower Chromatics in my bag; in case I am at a bash and want to form an instant orchestra of non-players playing a  tune with just a few notes.

They are made in Shanghai and can do anything one might want. The model ranges in price from three  quid to about six quid depending which way you buy, but massively cheaper than anything else in UK like this.  The sound is sweet and they are easy to play (and clean and repair). Importers here may not have them and when they do they may zap up the price anyway.

The trick is to buy direct from China. Perhaps there are HK or Mainland Chinese with kids in a school. They can get someone to buy locally and then have them hand carried to the UK.  The same model is very popular in India so the same buy local bring home procedure could work.

Or I see someone in India is selling on line at about 4 pounds at the current exchange rate but I cannot vouch for that company, and the delivery of about 8 quid has to be added. Plus, I am not sure if that is for 10 units or whatever.  ALSO, the picture they show is squashed up so it is not square but long as in the earlier URL.

http://www.indiamusicalinstruments.com/Products/Musical-Instruments-Harmonicas/Tower/Harmonica-Mouth-Organ-Tower-Brand-Scale-Changer-Model/pid-3908.aspxhttp://www.bassmaker.co.uk/ and you might talk to the creator Lee about diy school build (he also has a guitar offering) with the IT department and whatever they call woodwork, arts and crafts department nowadays.  Likewise, there are a lot of kids out there with phones (or parents' phones) that would take the iPod concertina application, which u can see on concertina.net  The download is 99 pence or cents.
http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10504&st=36&p=106175&hl=ipod%20app&fromsearch=1&#entry106175

All this can go into the musical pot for a simple feast and each will generate activity through the other.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:41:21 PM by Kautilya »

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 09:13:41 PM »

Hi ,   
just to say that the Primary School that I help in did buy 10 mini melodeons in the autumn term, and at Christmas the children played Shep Hey for the School Morris side. Actually they took part in three concerts in the final week of term, playing as I said Shep Hey alongside me for the Morris/Mummers play, and alongside the  violin section for a concert style evening.
They played and processed into the school hall and although we were not all playing exactly the same thing! the visual effect was tremendous.
Unfortunately we could not video this due to regulations, but maybe at another event this would be possible.

I say we played Shep Hey, the children did the chords and I played the tune.  We are moving on to tunes this term.  Some youngsters can get a tune out on the melody side but the melodeons are greedy on the air, so I shall have to choose very carefully what we learn.

I don't get 'jigs'

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 09:16:29 PM »

Hi ,   

Fantastic Tiny - well done! As a teacher myself I a most impressed. I can see why mini melodeons would be better than harmonicas. In my jurisdiction if one wants to teach students a mouth blown instrument they have to be bought new and used only for one child - not usable for another group or another year's class.
I don't get 'jigs'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal