Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Serafini retro work, and new instrument wanted  (Read 5448 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Serafini retro work, and new instrument wanted
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:28:29 PM »

Bear with me. while I ramble.
I've been waiting for the mondiato.com website to be brought up to date - they've had a lengthy layoff with the intent to bring new models in etc.
I've also sold a couple of instruments that I wasn't using any longer and have some cash that needs to be spent on an instrument before my new part time status just eats the cash away.
With some of the new tunes I've been writing I can't get away from the tonal difference in the top end of the Serafini R2D2, and have been thinking that instead of the D/G box I've been looking for, I should replace the G/C box, but I've managed to get in touch with Marc Serafini who said he's happy to apply some retro adjustments that he's discovered over the last year or so for making the high notes fuller - which is great (dealing direct with the maker is a warm feeling - I've just made contact with the doctor who delivered our kids nearly 18 years ago, to let her know how nicely the kids have grown up - so maybe it says more about me and my time of life that I want to get in touch with important people from my past).
Anyway, I don't know what the exact cost of the postage and corrective work will be, but I will still have cash for another instrument. If you have something nice for in the region of £1400-1500 (possibly a tiny bit more, but it could be much less!) that I can try, I'd be delighted. I did consider the G/C Dony recently brought to notice here, but missed it while considering other cheaper options.
I don't mind if it is A/D, 2 voice, G/C or D/G (2 or 3 voice) just as long as it is very nice and different in some way from my Serafini 2+2 and my Hohner Bb/Eb Erika (which has NO balance issues with the high notes, despite being a minor 3rd higher overall!!). I'm not after a 1 row or a full 3 row. I'd need to try because of my allergies.
As usual, thanks for the forum, to all those who contribute - it's a rare thing.

Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Serafini retro work, and new instrument wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 11:12:35 PM »

You should consider this one:
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,19335.0/nowap.html
Aaro Luukinen has made some very nice playing boxes.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

playandteach

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:53:51 PM »

I thought I'd registered my interest already but have sent an email too now.  Marc Serafini has kindly offered to tweak his box free of charge.

playandteach

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 01:31:01 PM »

Just in case it's not clear - I'm looking to buy a melodeon and am open to key and voices.

Just want a good quality box. Could be D/G, A/D, of G/C. Low boxes need only have 2 voices, D/G could have 2 or 3. Could be 2 row, or 2+2 or 2 and a half. Could have 8 basses or 12.
Only thing that matters is quality reeds. Without wishing to offend anyone, I have ruled out Saltarelles for my taste, because I've found that the reeds needed more air to speak and I have found that my cross row style of playing can run out of bellows with the ones I've tried.
PM me if you have anything you think I might be interested in.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 02:00:42 PM »

Just in case it's not clear - I'm looking to buy a melodeon and am open to key and voices.

Just want a good quality box. Could be D/G, A/D, of G/C. Low boxes need only have 2 voices, D/G could have 2 or 3. Could be 2 row, or 2+2 or 2 and a half. Could have 8 basses or 12.
Only thing that matters is quality reeds. Without wishing to offend anyone, I have ruled out Saltarelles for my taste, because I've found that the reeds needed more air to speak and I have found that my cross row style of playing can run out of bellows with the ones I've tried.
PM me if you have anything you think I might be interested in.

Don't necessarily rule out Saltarelles completely, as there are some good ones out there and many people swear by them (other people swear at them ;) ). I think part of the response problem which you may have encountered with them is due to the reeds not having been correctly set in the first place. With some careful adjustment of the set (gap of the reed tongue) the response of a poorly set-up box can be dramatically improved.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 02:32:33 PM »

There are three good, reasonably priced, secondhand D/G boxes on my website at www.melodeons.com

A Giustozzi 3 voice, a Verde 2.5 row, 2 voice and a Castagnari Nik 2 voice.
Also a G/C Lilly to be added soon.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

playandteach

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 02:45:56 PM »

Thanks, both.
I'll email you with some questions, Rees.

playandteach

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 12:05:32 AM »

With permission from Rees and Theo, I've recorded some rough takes on different instruments I'm trying. The recordings don't really do the instruments justice - especially as I'm playing French music on D/G boxes - using the cross row style. Also the button layout is slightly different on each one, and none of them have the reversals I'm used to.
They are 3 very different boxes - a Verde 2 voice with extra buttons I'm not even trying to get to, an early Castagnari - very small and very sweet, with surprising depth in the left hand, and a 3 voice Giustozzi.
Errors in playing are partly due to the factors mentioned, and partly due to rapid changes between instruments, without really sorting out straps etc.
I want to emphasise that I am delighted to play all 3 - each one makes me forget the others. There is a price band difference of £350 between the cheapest and most expensive - not enough to make a judgement on price.
Here's a link to 3 tunes
Feel free to comment, but remember these instruments are all good, and all belong so far, to someone else, so opinions are welcome, but not assassinations (I only say this out of respect to the owners, and to the instruments I've been loaned).

Graham Collicutt

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 03:10:15 AM »

Don't forget the thirds switch on the Giustozzi.

arty

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 08:01:32 AM »

I wouldn't comment on any of the boxes, from a recording such as this. They all sound nice in different ways. But I am asking, as I know your love for French music, why are you going down the D/G route?
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

playandteach

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 10:25:09 AM »

2 main reasons. Primarily my son plays some English folk and l'd like to encourage him and enjoy his company. But I also sold my accordion recently. Having sold my sax and watched the money get absorbed into decorating costs I have a small window to spend it on another instrument. I also fancy something different to the Serafini. If a really nice G/C had come up I might have gone for that.  was tempted to order a Clement Guais but there's the whole allergy thing.

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 03:00:52 PM »

Thanks for posting those excellent videos of the Giustozzi.

I'm not sure how many of these Giustozzi D/G 'specials' were made for and imported by Rees - two? three? certainly less than five I think, so a rare box.
I purchased an almost identical box from him (mine is 3rd button start) a couple of years ago, but have had no real opportunities to listen to someone else playing one 'from afar'.

Certainly makes me want to try playing some french tunes on mine - I'm just starting to dip into French music!

If you've borrowed the three boxes for a few days, you'll probably begin to get a feel for which one is right for you - you'll start spending more time with one, and begin comparing the other two to it.

Enjoy the journey :)

Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

playandteach

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 03:15:02 PM »

At the moment the box I have in my hands at any one time is the one I prefer. Not a bad position to be in.

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 03:44:02 PM »

At the moment the box I have in my hands at any one time is the one I prefer. Not a bad position to be in.......
....until you have to make a decision and give the rest back!

Have fun  :||: :||: :||: 8)
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Grape Ape

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 08:43:02 PM »

I have to say that all three boxes sound great as does your playing.  I guess if it  was me, I would lean towards the castagnari or verde, as the guistozzi, which has a lovely rich tone, just sounds less responsive or maybe not responsive so much as 'snappy' to my ear.  I also like the extra basses on the Verde as well.

By the way, what is the second song you play- sounds like delicq but i do not recognize it?

Surprising how well these tunes sit on a DG.  That high end isn't as squeeky as I have been led to believe...

playandteach

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 08:56:54 PM »

You're right it is Delicq, although I do fumble it a bit. It's called Pirouette. There are things I like about all 3 - on the Giustozzi it's the left hand and the fullness of the 3 voice when pushed harder than I normally do. I can't imagine using the extra basses on the Verde, and the box is quite heavy, but the punch of the 2 voices is really strong.

fc diato

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 02:51:37 PM »

Delightful conundrum.
I may be mistaken, but it seems you linger a bit longer longer with the Giustozzi? Is that a sign? 
It is wonderfully full and round. The Castagnari surprised me … sounds ‘buzzy’ (if that makes sense - I don’t know how to describe these sounds). 

fc diato

playandteach

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 06:20:44 PM »

Could be the smaller sound doesn't get picked up as well as I didn't change settings on the Mic. There is also a very easily fixed air valve leak which I didn't spot until later. It is also not quite so dry as the other two. Giustozzi lingering is to record it on 2 and 3 voices. I might do the tune of the month on them. I suspect I need to decide whether I want it for accompanying or for playing tunes at home.

playandteach

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 09:45:22 PM »

Brick wall has been hit, as my throat has become inflamed - the first sign of the mysterious reaction. Of course I've been playing far more than usual, so it could just be that. But I can't begin to say how depressing it is. On the verge of making a choice which my family all agreed with. But as I can't be sure which one (or if indeed it is one rather than the volume of playing) is causing it, I don't know what else to do but to send the boxes back.
Theo, Rees and Graham - I'll be in touch directly by email, with a view to returning boxes on my day off (Friday). I really am sorry for the hassle, and for myself. Serafini is also out of action as the treble reed blocks have gone back to France for a tweak.

Grape Ape

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 10:05:52 PM »

P&T, it breaks my heart every time you run into this.  What an absolute DRAG.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal