Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elderflower cordial......mmmmm.  (Read 4221 times)

Keithypete.

Elderflower cordial......mmmmm.
« on: June 28, 2009, 09:45:53 PM »

Whilst pointing the gable end of an old out building on saturday, I took advantage of the dappled shade provided by a rather large Elderberry tree. The creamy yellow flowers so fresh and strongly scented were screaming out to be picked. Pick them I did. Mrs.Slasher has since converted them into a variety of old-fashioned delicacies - cordial, sorbet and even champagne! Which brings me to my point (such as it is): anyone going to B/C/C# workshops in Aviemore should seek out a beer brewed by the Cairngorm brewery by the name of "Trade winds". Very dry and crisp and oh so refreshing - and yes you've guessed - delicately flavoured with elderflower. Well worth a look if you can tear yourself away from expensive single malts. Just to keep things melodeonish I still really enjoy playing the Beltuna Sara II B/C I recently acquired and the advice offered through this site has all been really useful. P.S How cute is that Rucksack Steireische in A/D/G?????
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
Re: Elderflower cordial......mmmmm.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »

The images of bucolic charm conjured up by this thread have led me to sit in my rustic retreat clutching a glass of old peculiar musing as to which pubs sell this elderflower delight?
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 12:38:36 AM »

Charming, indeed.  I have been spending a lot of time in my garden amongst my flowers.  Is there any better pursuit than music and flowers?  I've spent the past year playing a lot of bass, fiddle and mandolin and very little melodeon; only recently picking back up my boxes and concertinas.  I'm falling in love with them all over again.

Keithypete.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 08:28:52 AM »

The images of bucolic charm conjured up by this thread have led me to sit in my rustic retreat clutching a glass of old peculiar musing as to which pubs sell this elderflower delight?
Alas and alack, I haven't encountered this fine brew outside Aviemore. No doubt it is available somewhere else - but certainly not in the County of Lincoln.
Charming, indeed.  I have been spending a lot of time in my garden amongst my flowers.  Is there any better pursuit than music and flowers?  I've spent the past year playing a lot of bass, fiddle and mandolin and very little melodeon; only recently picking back up my boxes and concertinas.  I'm falling in love with them all over again.
Fantastic!!!
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »

Alas and alack, I haven't encountered this fine brew outside Aviemore. No doubt it is available somewhere else - but certainly not in the County of Lincoln.
Charming, indeed.  I have been spending a lot of time in my garden amongst my flowers.  Is there any better pursuit than music and flowers?  I've spent the past year playing a lot of bass, fiddle and mandolin and very little melodeon; only recently picking back up my boxes and concertinas.  I'm falling in love with them all over again.
I have come across Cairngorm brews in the urban sprawl that is Greater Manchester. My favourite being Wildcat, which I haven't seen for a while. Hmm, perhaps that's where the name came from.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:02:50 PM »

I've never been able to make "Elderberry Champagne" (as my Granny called it) satisfactorily. Is there a particular trick to it? Elderberry Wine - now that takes the top of your head right off (and makes me think I play the melodeon well too)!
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 12:45:40 PM »

Elderflower Champagne is quite easy to make but you either need very strong glass bottles with tops like the grolsch ones  or plastic bottles where you can ease off the pressure now and then. Either way, don't leave them anywhere near your melodeon. I have heard many a story of elderflower explosions.  (:)

cheers

Sandy

Keithypete.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 10:38:53 AM »

I've never been able to make "Elderberry Champagne" (as my Granny called it) satisfactorily. Is there a particular trick to it? Elderberry Wine - now that takes the top of your head right off (and makes me think I play the melodeon well too)!
I don't yet know if Mrs.Slasher's champagne is satisfactory. I will report back after extensive testing!!!
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 11:05:49 AM »

I don't yet know if Mrs.Slasher's champagne is satisfactory. I will report back after extensive testing!!!

Why don't we organise a session in which an opinion could be formed? For the sake of sampling Mrs S' elderflower champagne I'd be prepared to travel quite some distance!
AL ;D

Keithypete.

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 11:59:57 AM »

Mrs.Slasher has just pointed out the advice we give to the slashettes when responding to strangers in chat-rooms. What with all the talk of Box driven sessions and all it could end up being a dreadful dog-hanging. I don't know how well it travels, but some might possibly end at morris wekends throughout the summer. A pint of bitter can be given a very summery lift by glugging in some cordial like you would with a 'lemonade top'. Mmmmm.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Keithypete.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 01:23:37 AM »

Hi 'Al. I don't know where you're based, but having sampled the elderflower champagne I would only be prepared to travel to my fridge - if  I was already in my own living room. It's nice, but not as champagne-like as I was expecting. We'll have another go next year. Are you doing any morris stuff august bank hol.?
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »

Are you doing any morris stuff august bank hol.?

Sadly no, shall be visiting my revered mother in Pontarddulais that week - who also makes excellent Elderflower sherbert!
AL

Keithypete.

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 12:28:50 AM »

Having just toasted the new year with some of our own bubbly, I can confirm that the elderflower champagne is now vastly superior to the when we first tasted it. How much longer it will keep/last is anyone's guess.

HAPPY NEW YEAR. :|glug
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 12:32:41 AM »

Dappled shade, creamy yellow flowers - isn't it supposed to be mid winter over there, snow and all that?
I don't get 'jigs'

Keithypete.

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 05:29:27 PM »

Dappled shade, creamy yellow flowers - isn't it supposed to be mid winter over there, snow and all that?

It is indeed 'the bleak midwinter' - christmas theme & all that
Plenty of snow - lot of weather generally. The elderflower champagne has been fermenting this last 6 months since the original post. Quite dry but not particularly potent. Cheers. :|glug
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 04:21:45 AM »

Oh right, I didn't look at the date of the original post. I must admit I wondered about making champagne and drinking it the next day!  ;D
I don't get 'jigs'
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal