Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Club X  (Read 2512 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Hohner Club X
« on: September 27, 2016, 02:15:58 PM »

I've just seen my first Hohner Club X. Didn't even know they existed. An interesting box.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

triskel

Re: Hohner Club X
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:34:16 PM »

A good model Sir John, and they cost the price of six-and-a-half Model 2815 Pokerworks in 1937!

But the Club 235 and 255 were substantially more expensive again...  :o

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 02:37:47 PM »

Interesting Stephen. The list of models I have, give the years of manufacture as 38/39, and the number of bass keys as 8. This one has 10. Is the list wrong?

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 02:58:50 PM »

Is the list wrong?

Yes as has been discussed here a few times before the list is very incomplete.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 04:06:56 PM »

Every Club X I've seen (on ebay) has had ten basses - with an extra pair outside the usual eight and I'm told these are dominant seventh chords.  They do tend to be special, bespoke builds by the look of them with added bling like rheinstones set with the owners name.  I always fancied one - before the prices rose to their present levels.  They used to be on ebay.de at a wide variety of prices but all at premium pices now...

Rob.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 04:16:44 PM »

I have a 8 button bass Model X in the workshop as we speak.

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 12:13:40 AM »

A good model Sir John, and they cost the price of six-and-a-half Model 2815 Pokerworks in 1937!

Thank you for that reference! I think it is a very good point in appreciating these accordions, which I should like to draw attention to.

6.5 (Pokerworks) = 1 (Club X).

We find them on the auction sites, classifieds, and yard sales for low prices. They are dusty, moth eaten, broken. Much of our generation has forgotten their value. It's almost absurd to pick one up and play the Mason's Apron. Imagine picking up your groceries in a 1937 SS Jaguar 100! I should like to! Boxes like the Club X or Club IX, Model 235, etc., were prestige instruments that commanded considerable respect. As triskel noted, many were commissioned. Also a guitarist, I can't touch the Club X's counterpart in the six-string world for less than several thousands of dollars. And on, and on. It's the fall of the accordion, I think, which has put these instruments into such a fix.

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 04:41:14 AM »

Here are 2 with 10 bass. Maybe the first one is a different model. Anyone here know for sure?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:51:43 AM by hickory-wind »
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 04:44:14 AM »

Here is an 8 bass instrument. All three have 2 behind the keyboard switches allowing M,LM,MM,LMM. All also have the slick internal bellows lock (small lever near switches) giving the box exterior a clean look sans bellows straps.

BTW these sound fantastic and have super rich basses & chords but they are larger and heavier (11.4 lbs) than many boxes.

Scott

BellingersButtonBoxes.com
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:00:58 AM by hickory-wind »
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

Mike-T

• Good talker
  • 1930s Hohner B C C#, D/GAcc Benny, 2.5 Beltuna
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 01:01:41 PM »

The club X I have also has a slide by the air button to remove thirds.

Mike.

triskel

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 09:47:37 PM »

Here is an 8 bass instrument. All three have 2 behind the keyboard switches allowing M,LM,MM,LMM.

And, with its metal grille, clearly an earlier version of the Club X. It would be typical for later versions to have a celluloid grille and ten basses.

I don't have personal experience with these models, most of which probably got sold in Germany originally, but I do have catalogue entries for them, and it would seem the Club VIII, Club IX and Club X all shared basically the same 310 x 185 mm body, and were differentiated only by reed configuration/number of switches - the Club VIII being tuned musette MMM, with no switches, the Club IX and X both having a low octave reed and one, or two switches respectively.

triskel

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 09:56:01 PM »

Thank you for that reference! I think it is a very good point in appreciating these accordions, which I should like to draw attention to.

6.5 (Pokerworks) = 1 (Club X).

And the difference gets even more astonishing when you allow for the Club 235 and 255 Models :o :

10.5 (Pokerworks) = 1 (Club 235)

11.75 (Pokerworks) = 1 (Club 255)

Grape Ape

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 11:45:21 PM »

I can confirm the IX has 3 reeds tuned LMM, and has one (disappointingly) switch to go between MM and LMM.  The internal bellows lock is a great feature.  It also seemed to me that the button travel is limited.  Unfortunately, my example, while pretty on the eyes, could really benefit from some tuning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal