- 5 (12.2%)
Dashing White Sergeant
- 7 (17.1%)
The Sweetness of Mary
- 19 (46.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: November 01, 2016, 12:15:02 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Tune of the Month for November 2016  (Read 3776 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Poll: Tune of the Month for November 2016
« on: October 24, 2016, 01:15:02 AM »

Hi all - this month's selection:

Valse des Jouets - editor's choice here! This waltz by Michel Faubert plays beautifully on a 2 row quint box, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTOuMArlqGM  . Also comes with this slowed down version (in A/D unfortunately, but you get the idea) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9WCDEmiQHI

Jimmy Allen - a classic barndance/session tune; here we go, courtesy of Lester: http://lesters-tune-a-day.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tune-227-jimmy-allen.html

Dashing White Sergeant - great tune for the scottish dance of the same name, here demonstrated by Hector https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd7TaUBoAuY ; this is quite quick, as indeed the dance is, but you don't have to play it as fast as Hector!

The Sweetness of Mary - here played by Martin Ellison, this was written by Joan MacDonald Boes

There you are folks; happy voting :-)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Poll: Tune of the Month for November 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 03:29:35 AM »

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 11:32:12 PM »

I've voted out of my comfort zone this time (Delicq was a good fit last month). It's time for me to learn D/G with some push and pull. Bet I find a way to make it more pull than push, though.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 01:20:58 AM »

Sweetness of Mary is an odd one. It was written in A, for the fiddle, but that high C# in third position usually sounds anything but sweet - scrawny and out of tune. It's reasonable on a flute, but on the fiddle it sounds better in G.  And there is a melodeon version of it on YouTube (Anahata?) in F which sounds so good you'd think it was meant to be done that way (though fiddlers never play it like that).

I usually play it on a C recorder, for which that C# is tricky. G is much better and F is by far the best key to use.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 07:48:45 AM »

And there is a melodeon version of it on YouTube (Anahata?) in F which sounds so good you'd think it was meant to be done that way (though fiddlers never play it like that).

If it is my video you're talking about, that one's in D. Very low pitched but that Oakwood sounds good in that register.
Most melodeon players play it in G, of course, just a tone lower than the original.
If the tune wins the poll, I might try another one in F on my Hohner C/F club, which should make a glorious sound on a tune like that.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

arty

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 07:59:25 AM »

And there is a melodeon version of it on YouTube (Anahata?) in F which sounds so good you'd think it was meant to be done that way (though fiddlers never play it like that).

I think you will find that it is Martin Ellison playing it on a C/F Pokerwork. And yes, it is very beautiful and sounds very comfortable in that key.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Roger Howard

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 11:27:40 AM »

If it is my video you're talking about, that one's in D. Very low pitched but that Oakwood sounds good in that register.

A beautiful version, inspiring and daunting in equal measure, I find.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgY7x75hRic.

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 04:11:13 PM »

Irrespective of the result, is there any chance of abc's for both Valse des Jouets and Dashing White Sergeant?
Not heard the Valse before, it is lovely, and Dashing needs to be learnt too.
With the dark evenings starting tonight, these will help keep me warm during hibernation!!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 04:51:19 PM »

Most melodeon players play it in G, of course, just a tone lower than the original.
If the tune wins the poll, I might try another one in F on my Hohner C/F club, which should make a glorious sound on a tune like that.

I've posted one in D/G, but  :|glugnow you've put that idea in my head might have to pick up the C/F pressed wood, recently back from a holiday in St. Ives...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 11:18:14 AM »

Whilst I confess I didn't vote for it, noodling around Sweetness of Mary and listening to the versions posted makes me want to change my vote. Interesting chord progressions available...
A tune already somewhere on the cranial hard drive - but I didn't know the name or origin. Thanks for proposing it !
Old Bones Dance Band

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 12:59:37 PM »

Not that I believe in coincidence but... one of the suggestions for November is Jimmy Allen. I recently mentioned that I acquired a HA-114D. The thing I did not mention is that it was from an estate sale from a gentleman in South Carolina with the name of Jim Allen (I inquired as I like to know the provenance of a box when I get it). It is very close to being in tune and he looked after it. The tune, although mostly found in the key of G sounds very sweet on it. I will place a label on the inside to show ownership!

Stephen
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:06:13 PM by Clive Williams »
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal