Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for October 2016: Tunes from the British Isles  (Read 14861 times)

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
Re: Theme of the Month for October 2016: Tunes from the British Isles
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 07:27:36 PM »

This is one of the first tunes I learned to play.
A Welsh waltz called Sweet Jenny Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzlQaZ4tGK0

GinDiaTonic

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 09:49:18 PM »

Sadly, Arty is right. Due to Calvinist and Methodist influences, music for dance and song was suppressed in the Channel Islands over a long period of time. Some simple tunes were borrowed mainly from Normandy and used for dance and to sing songs in local patois which often displayed a wry sense of humour. Even more sad is that the melodeon did not appear until after the importation of Morris sides into Jersey in the mid 1970’s and Guernsey in 1984, although the accordion was played as well as fiddle, and in the 19th century la chifournie(hurdy gurdy).
Not to be defeated, and since today is the 950th Anniversary of the Battle of Hastings – to which Channel Islanders can, uniquely in the British Isles, claim to be on the victorious side, as they are the part of the Duchy of Normandy still retained directly by the British monarch - I present a medley of a couple of verses from locally well-known tunes: two songs J’ai Perdu ma Faume and Jean Gros Jean, and a dance called La Bébé(Polka). As the coup de gras, the final tune Eiouque t'etais? (Where were you?) was written by a friend - James Dumbleton - in Guernsey, to go with a song he co-authored in patois as part of a Guernsey song project a couple of years ago. James sings it in GDor but I have moved up to ADor as it is more melodeon friendly.
https://youtu.be/pt1FBM3guuw

arty

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 10:20:05 PM »

It is sad, isn't it Jean...unbelievable really. But it is not sad to meet you here, a near neighbour in Guernsey I presume! And that looks like a melodeon built on an Emmanuel Pariselle course... did you build it? A friend of mine here in Jersey has built one and it's a nice instrument to play. 😊
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

GinDiaTonic

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2016, 11:26:37 PM »

Yes Arty -  I was very lucky last year to chat with Richard whilst at Sark Folk Festival, who put me in touch with Many, as he thought there was a space on the course in France due to a cancellation. So 6 weeks later I was having a fantastic time building my own melodeon, and came home with an instrument that has a great sound and is a joy to play.I shall look forward to meeting you if we ever happen to be in the same island at the same time!

Grape Ape

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 11:44:27 PM »

Helg yn Dreain (Hunt the Wren) and The Fatherby Jig

Ooh, they're crackers! Gotta learn those!

Here's my contribution for this month, and if you've been wondering where that rather amazing Hohner Liliput conversion Kay Albrecht's been sharing pictures of on facebook recently went, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHokYQmLeLk

It's the Leitrim Thrush, in C, inspired by the Old Hat Dance Band's version as much as anything. This box just flies along in C, it really does - fantastic work by Kay!

Cheers,

Clive

Simply wow!
What a beautiful job he has done on that Lilliput- it sounds and looks great! As does the playing!  What key is it in?

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 09:02:49 AM »

What a beautiful job he has done on that Lilliput- it sounds and looks great! As does the playing!  What key is it in?

Great, isn't it? It really is like a new box. It's in G/C; I think I read that Kay got the reeds from another box - it's a complete re-reed job. The bellows seem new, but there is a faint smell of smoke, so I suspect not; I think they've just been refurbed to a very, very, high standard. The grille seems to be the original, but brass plated like all the fittings. There's a lot of thought and love gone into the details.

John Welford

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 11:36:58 AM »

Clive, Thank you for the lovely version of :-
It's the Leitrim Thrush, in C, inspired by the Old Hat Dance Band's version as much as anything

I have searched for the score (or abc's) on the Session and more generally but the resulting melodies are nowhere near as attractive as that version.
Regrettably, even after years of playing the accordion, I remain unable to learn by listening so I wondered whether the score of your interpretation might be available?

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 01:33:15 PM »

It's the Leitrim Thrush, in C, inspired by the Old Hat Dance Band's version as much as anything

I have searched for the score (or abc's) on the Session and more generally but the resulting melodies are nowhere near as attractive as that version.
Regrettably, even after years of playing the accordion, I remain unable to learn by listening so I wondered whether the score of your interpretation might be available?

Thank you! I'll see what I can knock up in ABC. I'm no expert so may take me a little while though! [[[ If anyone else wants to try annotating this be my guest; it would seem annotating hornpipes isn't my strong point! ]]]

robotmay

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 05:25:28 PM »

Here's one of my favourite Welsh tunes, which nobody seems to have heard of. I'm sure I have the ABC notation for it somewhere but I have absolutely no idea where. It's a simple little tune called Jig y Pentref (Jig of the Village or The Village Jig, I believe). I have bugger all other information about it ;D

https://soundcloud.com/robotmay/jig-y-pentref

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 08:23:21 PM »

Here's one of my favourite Welsh tunes, which nobody seems to have heard of. I'm sure I have the ABC notation for it somewhere but I have absolutely no idea where. It's a simple little tune called Jig y Pentref (Jig of the Village or The Village Jig, I believe). I have bugger all other information about it ;D

Really nice tune and beautifully played, thank you!  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

robotmay

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 12:12:34 AM »

Thanks Steve! I've spent half the evening trying to remember where I found it now, and my search has so far been completely fruitless :o

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 01:12:07 AM »

... so I wondered whether the score of your interpretation might be available?

Here you go - the bar lines aren't in the right place, but this plays correctly on ABC Explorer at a tempo of about 96:

First, in G:

Code: [Select]
X: 1
T: Leitrim Thrush
R: hornpipe
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
K: Gmaj
D|:G3/2 Bd/2 g2| a/2b/2b/2b/2bb/2 ag1/2 e/2f/2g/2|d3/2dd/2 ed/2 ce/2|dc/2 Bd/2 A3/2 BA/2|
G3/2 Bd/2 g2| a/2b/2b/2b/2bb/2 ag1/2 e/2f/2g/2|d3/2dd/2 ed/2 ce/2|dc/2 Bd/2 A3/2 BA/2:|
|:GA/2 Bc/2 d3/2 B3/2 |c3/2 B3/2 A D/2EF/2|GA/2 Bc/2 d3/2 B3/2 |c3/2 B3/2 A3|
GA/2 Bc/2 d3/2 B3/2 |c3/2 B3/2 A d/2ef/2|g/2g/2g/2g d/2e f/2g| e/2d c/2B G/2 A3:|

and now in C:

X:1
T:Leitrim Thrush
R:hornpipe
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:Cmaj
G,|:C3/2 EG/2 c2| d/2e/2e/2e/2ee/2 dc/2 A/2B/2c/2|G3/2GG/2 AG/2 FA/2|GF/2 EG/2 D3/2 ED/2|
C3/2 EG/2 c2| d/2e/2e/2e/2ee/2 dc/2 A/2B/2c/2|G3/2GG/2 AG/2 FA/2|GF/2 EG/2 D3/2 ED/2:|
|:CD/2 EF/2 G3/2 E3/2 |F3/2 E3/2 D G,/2A,B,/2|CD/2 EF/2 G3/2 E3/2 |F3/2 E3/2 D3|
CD/2 EF/2 G3/2 E3/2 |F3/2 E3/2 D G/2AB/2|c/2c/2c/2c G/2A B/2c| A/2G F/2E C/2 D3:|

Cheers,

Clive

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2016, 06:42:26 AM »

That was marvellous.  Lovely tune, really nicely played.  I like the bounce that you have in your playing and the careful placement of basses. 

robotmay

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 09:21:19 AM »

Thanks Pete! The basses have always confused me on this tune until I spent some time this week trying things out.

And...success! I figured out where I learnt it from: https://johntose.bandcamp.com/track/evans-jig-jig-y-pendref
If you buy that album (and who wouldn't, love me some Welsh bagpipes), it comes with a tunebook of all the tunes on the album. I also have a few other tunebooks from John Tose; he's a fantastic resource for good Welsh tunes.

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2016, 10:29:41 AM »

Here is a version of Clive's score which hopefully preserves most of the information while being a bit more human-readable:

X:2
R:hornpipe
M:12/8
Q:3/8=96
K:G
G3  B2d g3- g2a|b3 b2b a2g efg|d3  d2d e2d c2e|d2c B2d A3 B2A |
G3  B2d g3- g2a|b3 b2b a2g efg|d3  d2d e2d c2e|d2c B2d A3 B2A:|
G2A B2c d3  B3 |c3 B3  A2D E2F|G2A B2c d3  B3 |c3  B3  A6     |
G2A B2c d3  B3 |c3 B3  A2d e2f|g2g g2d e2f g2e|d2c B2G A6    :|
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2016, 10:34:04 AM »

Thanks Jack! 12/8 - that'll be why I couldn't get it to fit then :-)

John Welford

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2016, 01:26:30 PM »

I am very grateful for the patience, and speed, with which you made this transcription Clive.

It plays perfectly in Musescore as you remarked; however when I look at the score (as a beginning melodeonist) it becomes more daunting than I had imagined!
I'm afraid that simplification will be the watchword for some time....but then I worry that that will remove the essence of the version that you played....only time, practice and patience is the answer.

later.....

Jack's version is more within my capabilities to try - and for that I  am again grateful - as Jack say's it holds the information .... but when I try it it is 'dead' by comparison with Clive's recording.
It only goes to show that it is the player, not the score alone, that makes the difference.

Many thanks to both  for your help, I hope persistence will pay eventually!

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2016, 03:02:39 PM »

Even more human readable, notated in 4/4. Just don't forget to play it dotted:
X:1
R:Hornpipe
M:C
K:G
G2Bd g2ga | b2bb ag (3efg | d2dd edce | dcBd A2BA |
G2Bd g2ga | b2bb ag (3efg | d2dd edce | dcBd A2BA ::
GABc d2B2 | c2B2 ADEF | GABc d2B2 | c2B2 A4 |
GABc d2B2 | c2B2 Adef | gggd efge | dcBG A4 :|

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2016, 08:02:59 PM »

pdf of same (no # or b)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 08:05:01 PM by xgx »
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2016, 05:14:47 PM »

This is a tune written last month by guitarist Dave Malkin.  I don't think it has a name, but it's quite fun to play.

https://soundcloud.com/peter-savage/no-name-tune-dave-malkin
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:18:08 PM by Bavarian Pete »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal