Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for October 2016: Tunes from the British Isles  (Read 14864 times)

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
Re: Theme of the Month for October 2016: Tunes from the British Isles
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 12:53:36 AM »

A homespun version of Road to Lisdoonvarna, and Foxhunters Slip Jig, on a Hohner D/G in silver celluloid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POJi2AFM28w

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2016, 12:07:49 PM »

Thanks everyone - on to the next theme; late submissions welcome as ever - just stick 'em on the end.

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2016, 12:37:19 PM »

I just got a copy of the CD "Travailleurs de la Mer" by Andrew Lawrence-King and the Harp Consort, of music from Guernsey.  The words are more local (and more interesting) than the tunes, which are mostly Breton and French, but there are a few tunes that Lawrence-King claims are from Guernsey itself (and he should know, he's from there).  Not very melodeon-friendly, though.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 02:02:08 PM »

Here's the Trade Wind Hornpipe and Corn Riggs.
Listeners of a certain generation (myself included, natch) will, of course, know the first one as (part of) the theme of BBC radio's The Navy Lark.

https://youtu.be/VqIf7-LB9pM

The first one almost qualifies for the summer theme of "something you've just learnt" as I found the music back in June and had a go at learning it then.
I've been trying to get the hang of the trade wind hornpipe for ages. It a always turn out like a less Dawson version as soon as I speed up. Lol

Roger Howard

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 03:30:36 PM »

I just got a copy of the CD "Travailleurs de la Mer" by Andrew Lawrence-King and the Harp Consort, of music from Guernsey.  The words are more local (and more interesting) than the tunes, which are mostly Breton and French, but there are a few tunes that Lawrence-King claims are from Guernsey itself (and he should know, he's from there).  Not very melodeon-friendly, though.
Excellent cd, though!

R
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Amina

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2019, 05:18:46 PM »

ANYONE WORKED OUT THE 'ABC NOTATION' TO THIS BEAUTIFUL VERSION BY CUNNINGHAM? IF SO CAN YOU KINDLY SHARE. I'M A NEWBIE, AND IT WAS THIS TUNE THAT BROUGHT ME TO JOIN MELODEON.NET (I LOVE IT THAT MUCH! THIS PARTICULAR VERSION)

Graham Scofield brought Flatwater Fran to last evening's session. I thought it might fit. Tune by Phil Cunningham, played here as 32 bar arrangement, sourced from abc on The Session.

https://youtu.be/u4jUqaMnU9A

All the best

Bill

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2019, 05:31:16 PM »

ANYONE WORKED OUT THE 'ABC NOTATION' TO THIS BEAUTIFUL VERSION BY CUNNINGHAM? IF SO CAN YOU KINDLY SHARE. I'M A NEWBIE, AND IT WAS THIS TUNE THAT BROUGHT ME TO JOIN MELODEON.NET (I LOVE IT THAT MUCH! THIS PARTICULAR VERSION)

Graham Scofield brought Flatwater Fran to last evening's session. I thought it might fit. Tune by Phil Cunningham, played here as 32 bar arrangement, sourced from abc on The Session.

https://youtu.be/u4jUqaMnU9A

All the best

Bill

Hi Amina

X: 1
T: Flatwater Fran
R: waltz
M: 3/4
L: 1/8
K: Gmaj
DE|:"G"G2G2DE|G2G2Bd|"C"e2d2G2|"G"B4DE|G2G2DE|"Am"A2A2GA|
"Em"B2AG ED|"C"E4DE|"G"G2G2DE|G2G2Bd|"C"e2d2g2|"G"B4dB|
"Am"A2AG AB|"Em"AGE2GE|"C"DEG2"D7"G2|1"G"G4DE:|2"G"G4Bd||
|:"C"e2d2G2|"G"B4Bd|"C"e2d2G2|"G"B4Bd|"C"e2d2g2|"Em"B2dB AG|
"Am"A2AG AB|"D"A4Bd|"C"e2d2g2|"G"B2dB AG|"D7"A2d3c|"Em"B3B AG|
"Am"EA AG AB|"Em"AG E2GE|1"C"DEG2"D7"G2|"G"G4Bd:|2"C"DEG2"D7"A2|"G"G4||

Please don't post in ALL CAPS

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2019, 05:48:35 PM »

Here's a version with slightly different chords, D7sus sounds sweet if you have thirdless chords.

X:27
T:Flatwater Fran
C:Phil Cunningham
M:3/4
L:1/8
%%titlefont Helvetica, 22
%%subtitlefont Helvetica,16
%%composerfont Helvetica
%%partsfont Arial, 20
%%partsbox
%%gchordfont Arial, 16
%%barnumbers 1
%%MIDI program 73 % flute
%%MIDI chordprog 1 % piano
V:1 gchord=down
V:2
Q:1/4=128
K:G
V:1
P:A
DE|:"G"G2G2DE|"Em"G2G2Bd|"C"e2d2G2|"G"B4DE|G2G2DE|"Am"A2A2GA|
"Em"B2AG ED|"C"E4DE|"G"G2G2DE|"Em"G2G2Bd|"C"e2d2g2|"G"B4dB|
"Am"A2AG AB|"C"AGE2GE|"D7sus"DEG2"D7"G2|1"G"G4DE:|2"G"G4Bd||
P:B
|:"C"e2d2G2|"G"B4Bd|"C"e2d2G2|"Bm"B4Bd|"C"e2d2g2|"G"B2dB AG|
"Am"A2AG AB|"D7"A4Bd|"C"e2d2g2|"G"B2dB AG|"D"A2d3"B7"c|"Em"B3B AG|
"Am"EA AG AB|"C"AG E2GE|1"D7sus"DEG2"D7"G2|"G"G4Bd:|2"D7sus"DEG2"D7"A2|"G"G4||
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Amina

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2019, 06:15:16 PM »

Thank you so much Pete.  I'm a complete newbie here and to notation (and to 'formal' learning of the squeeze box).  I'm using a D-G Hohner Polkerworks (same as in the video)...so I'm assuming I "don't" have thirdless chords?! This will take me a while to work through as I'm a slow starter (but determined)...so how would the chords be if I just followed this youtube version to the T (if indeed I'm right about not having thirdless chords).
Thanks again.

Amina

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2019, 06:35:33 PM »

And thank YOU too Lester (only just seen your reply too....sorry, not used to navigating this site yet).  Yes, I'll keep it to lower case (must've accidentally hit Caps Lock, and just went with it).  I'll get there. 
Can I ask, am I supposed to get an email alert when there's "replies" to my posts?  I'm only seeing these replies because I decided to visit the site tonight (no prompts by email).
Thanks again!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2019, 06:47:43 PM »

You can receive email notifications if you click on the NOTIFY button on the top right of the thread window when you start the tread

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2019, 07:56:02 PM »

I'm using a D-G Hohner Polkerworks (same as in the video)...so I'm assuming I "don't" have thirdless chords?! This will take me a while to work through as I'm a slow starter (but determined)...so how would the chords be if I just followed this youtube version to the T (if indeed I'm right about not having thirdless chords).
Thanks again.

If you can manage to follow the video you can't go wrong really, regardless of whether the chords have thirds in or not. The only proviso is that the chin end buttons on the treble side of your box are laid out the same as the one Bill is playing, the first buttons of each row on a Pokerwork can vary from box to box, but the chances are they will be the same.

Keep us updated with your progress and if you decide to explore the written music use Lester's ABC file not mine! Just ask if you want the ABC made into a printable sheet of music. Have fun and welcome to the forum!
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2019, 08:20:14 PM »

Here's a version with slightly different chords, D7sus sounds sweet if you have thirdless chords.
...|"D7sus"DEG2"D7"G2|...

I'm intrigued as to how you can follow D7sus with D7. It seems to involve a serious degree of premeditation.
I assume D7sus is C bass with a D5 (thirdless)chord and D7 is a C bass with a full D major.
At first I thought you meant play a box with a thirds stop, but that doesn't work here. Do you tape over one F# and leave the other one working, or do you have a neater solution (or have I got it completely wrong)?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2019, 09:05:06 PM »

D bass with the C chord works as D7 sus4. D bass with its own chord would be the easiest resolution. If you did need the 7th then it would have to be over the C bass, or use a C from the right hand. It's possible I've got this wrong as I play GC and might have twisted the answer.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2019, 09:58:23 PM »

D bass with the C chord works as D7 sus4. D bass with its own chord would be the easiest resolution. If you did need the 7th then it would have to be over the C bass, or use a C from the right hand. It's possible I've got this wrong as I play GC and might have twisted the answer.

D7sus must involves CDA in some inversion, or other.

D bass with C5 chord gives CDG. Can't be that.
C bass with D5 chord gives CDA. Works fine. But D7 is CDF#A. That means taping off only one D. Never met anyone who did that.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2019, 10:25:45 PM »

CDG is D7 sus4. So D with C5 chord is right. You are correct in that it doesn't have the A in there, so if you have no thirds, you can play D5 and C5 at the same time over a D bass. I guess it depends on the individual box to see how overpowering that is, but I know that Toon was talking about chord combinations at the Wensleydale workshops - saying how often he uses them.
I don't get why you'd need to tape over a D at all?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2019, 10:50:03 PM »

CDG is D7 sus4. So D with C5 chord is right. You are correct in that it doesn't have the A in there, so if you have no thirds, you can play D5 and C5 at the same time over a D bass. I guess it depends on the individual box to see how overpowering that is, but I know that Toon was talking about chord combinations at the Wensleydale workshops - saying how often he uses them.

I was thinking in pokerwork terms. Your solution works with  thirdless chords (thirds stop?) to give D7sus4, but that's not what Pete said. No mention of 4, or 6 come to that,. he just said D7sus (maybe that should be Dsus7) and I don't see where you get the actual D7 (CDF#A) without any thirds.

The only way, I can see, to get the chords as (possibly) stated is to tape off one of the D chord F#s.

I wonder if you're right. I look forward to finding out.
Greg Smith

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2019, 11:03:03 PM »

Neither do I. A suspended chord is a chord with the third missing so D7sus is D7 without the F#. You can add a G to make it D7sus4 or an E to make it D7sus2 or arguably D9sus. Guitarists use little riffs of D, Dsus4, D, Dsus2, D all the time, a bit like playing a turn, same with the A chord, they are standard decorations. On any box with the thirds taped off, all of the chords are sus chords by default. A guitarist calls thirdless chords 'power chords', much loved in heavy rock circles.

Edited to add: I think we are going well off topic here and should move this to a new thread if needed.  (:)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 11:09:38 PM by Pete Dunk »
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2019, 11:38:19 PM »

... On any box with the thirds taped off, all of the chords are sus chords by default...

So how do you play the straight D7 (i.e., D7 with the third)?
Greg Smith

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2019, 11:40:34 PM »

Add an F# on the treble end!
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal