Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for October 2016: Tunes from the British Isles  (Read 14859 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Theme of the Month for October 2016: Tunes from the British Isles
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2019, 11:48:57 PM »

Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Amina

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2019, 08:30:22 PM »

Re:If you can manage to follow the video you can't go wrong really, regardless of whether the chords have thirds in or not. The only proviso is that the chin end buttons on the treble side of your box are laid out the same as the one Bill is playing, the first buttons of each row on a Pokerwork can vary from box to box, but the chances are they will be the same.

Keep us updated with your progress and if you decide to explore the written music use Lester's ABC file not mine! Just ask if you want the ABC made into a printable sheet of music. Have fun and welcome to the forum!
[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: So I've been using Lester's ABC, AND watching the video on Youtube at slow speed but am still struggling (I hope I don't embarrass myself with the following queries):

1. I was struggling at times to see if Bill was playing the notes on the D row or the G row.  I thought it'd help me if I looked to see if the bellows were being squeezed in or out, but for the C-chord notes I still can't tell (what with the 2 lower-inner chord buttons all being C's whether being pushed or pull).  Would it be possible for you, or anyone else, to add an (in) or (out) after the notes in the "C" chords in Lester's ABC notation, to guide me? (hope i'm making sense)

2. Also, to confirm, the top (chin end) button on my D-row is G#(push) B-flat (pull); and on my G-row it's F (push) E-flat (pull) ... is this the same as on Bill's do you think?

3. So to play the D7 chord, do I play the F# button on my treble side (pulling button 2 on the G-row) in addition to the D-chord on my left side; OR do I play D-bass on the left, in addition to F# on the treble?

4. Could you indeed make Lester's ABC version into a printable sheet of music pleeease?

[at the moment, I'm adding a dot . beside the notes that are played on the D-row, to let me know not to play them on the G-row...and I'm getting there with the tune (albeit without knowing if some notes are being played on the 'correct' row); wondering if anyone else does that, or if there's another 'accepted' way to indicate which row to play the note on esp when it's accompanied by a "C" chord that I cant tell is being pushed or pulled out.  Once I can sort out what I'm doing with the "C" chord buttons, and "D7", then I'll be able to get going with refining the accompaniment!]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 08:38:55 PM by Amina »

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2019, 10:50:38 PM »

1. I was struggling at times to see if Bill was playing the notes on the D row or the G row.  I thought it'd help me if I looked to see if the bellows were being squeezed in or out, but for the C-chord notes I still can't tell (what with the 2 lower-inner chord buttons all being C's whether being pushed or pull).  Would it be possible for you, or anyone else, to add an (in) or (out) after the notes in the "C" chords in Lester's ABC notation, to guide me? (hope i'm making sense)

2. Also, to confirm, the top (chin end) button on my D-row is G#(push) B-flat (pull); and on my G-row it's F (push) E-flat (pull) ... is this the same as on Bill's do you think?

I'll have to look at this later as I haven't got time at the moment, perhaps someone else can jump in and give you some answers.

3. So to play the D7 chord, do I play the F# button on my treble side (pulling button 2 on the G-row) in addition to the D-chord on my left side; OR do I play D-bass on the left, in addition to F# on the treble?

I doubt your box has been modified so the F# will be in your D chord, even if it wasn't the D7 effect would still work, don't worry about it.

4. Could you indeed make Lester's ABC version into a printable sheet of music pleeease?

Attached.

[at the moment, I'm adding a dot . beside the notes that are played on the D-row, to let me know not to play them on the G-row...and I'm getting there with the tune (albeit without knowing if some notes are being played on the 'correct' row); wondering if anyone else does that, or if there's another 'accepted' way to indicate which row to play the note on esp when it's accompanied by a "C" chord that I cant tell is being pushed or pulled out.  Once I can sort out what I'm doing with the "C" chord buttons, and "D7", then I'll be able to get going with refining the accompaniment!]

I don't use tabs or direction symbols so it's better if someone else tackles this. (in one instance The C chord is played with the E on the bottom line of the music, that note is only available on the D row as a pull note, watch out for clues like that.)

Pete.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2019, 11:09:17 PM »

Here you are, Amina.

This site has a load of useful links to get you into using abc as it is intended to be used. You need to get yourself an editor. ABCexplorer is recommended. There are plenty more good ones, though.

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/page,abc.html

Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Amina

« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2019, 01:39:01 PM »

Thank you Pete & Thank you Greg! Music sheet downloaded!
Will look into an editor.
Thanks for all the tips - any & every is really appreciated (esp the one about the E on the D-row, in the last "C" chord....hopefully I'll get pointers from others for the other "C" chords...as I just can't make head nor tail of it from the video!)

You guys are all so helpful. THANK you so much, from this novice!

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2019, 02:24:36 PM »

No, that is not the same. But, this tune has no accidentals, and neither does Bill's box - he has a pull D note that he uses for the DE pickup notes & runs throughout the piece.

You may have to play these notes on the press, instead, but, that should be fine.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal