Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dipping my toes into cajun  (Read 3750 times)

ACE

dipping my toes into cajun
« on: October 02, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »

I have been offered a few lessons in playing Cajun  on the box.  I shall be  practicing at home  on the  D row of my 2 row, but there are likely to be a few Cajun sessions starting up around here soon so I expect I shall soon be in the market for a proper Cajun box in C. I have seen some really cheapo Chinese boxes but I am wondering what they like, I know it's a case of you pays your money and takes your choice. But has anybody tried these for a starter box and how long was it before you had to up to a better one.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

mory

Re: dipping my toes into cajun
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 07:50:27 PM »

About 5 minutes, seriously. All the Best mory

911377brian

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 07:56:36 PM »

Listen to Mory Ace and save yourself a load of dink....

ACE

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 10:57:10 PM »

Yep, thought so. I will have to sell a G/D and get something of a  better quality, I'll have a couple of lessons on one the tutor has spare, then see what is on the market, so if any of our fixers/fettlers have anything come into their hands for sale give us a shout.

deltasalmon

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 02:57:22 AM »

I have a crappy Chinese made "Cajun" style one-row in C. I enjoy playing one-row and kept telling myself that I should upgrade but to be honest aside from preferring it was in the key of D, I really don't have any other reason to get rid of it. It is responsive enough for the Irish music I play, not as responsive as my van der Aa but doesn't seem to be something that holds me back at all.

I don't play Cajun music on it though so I have no idea what that requires.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 08:02:46 AM »

A Hohner 114C would be a great box to start on, but you would need to allow for the cost of some tuning to get it closer to Cajun sounding.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

ACE

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 12:00:19 PM »

A Hohner 114C would be a great box to start on, but you would need to allow for the cost of some tuning to get it closer to Cajun sounding.

Nice idea but if I was going to have something tuned up I might as well get a clunker and bring it back up to standard. After all there is nothing beats the sound of a proper Cajun tuned box on full chat, I will always be in search of the 'ultimate' box, so best start half way there.

triskel

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 05:48:04 PM »

Maybe these days you might need to do some tuning to get it closer to "Cajun sounding". But plenty of Cajun and Zydeco old timers have played Hohners over the years, and sounded totally "authentic", whilst tremolo tuning seems to be making a bit of a comeback on Cajun boxes these days.

Indeed Marc Savoy often plays a brand-new, stock Hohner (and couldn't sound more Cajun), taken off the shelf in his shop, at the Saturday morning jam sessions that go on there (I've witnessed him do it myself!), and without the aid of a safety shoulder strap  ;): Marc Savoy & German made Hohner

(Only I'd reckon that's actually a new Chinese made Hohner, not even a German one...  :o)

... there is nothing beats the sound of a proper Cajun tuned box on full chat ...

Oh but there is, and it's a good Cajun box tuned "strong Québécois" (instead of "Cajun") like my Acadian D one!  >:E

triskel

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 06:06:45 PM »

Here's another clip of Marc Savoy playing a Hohner, on the same occasion: Marc Savoy & Friends

And, I correct myself, that Hohner wasn't even "off the shelf", it was actually "fresh out of the box" and you can see him unwrapping it here: Marc Savoy & Friends  :o

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 06:17:47 PM »

There you have it, get a Hohner, you can't go wrong.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Matthew B

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »

it was actually "fresh out of the box" and you can see him unwrapping it

The guy unwraps it and then he takes a moment to read the instructions.  By the next video he's playing along.  Either Cajun music is really easy, or he's a quick study. 
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 07:59:54 PM »

it was actually "fresh out of the box" and you can see him unwrapping it

The guy unwraps it and then he takes a moment to read the instructions.  By the next video he's playing along.  Either Cajun music is really easy, or he's a quick study.

Or he's Marc Savoy...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 08:13:00 AM »

I think he was just making sure that the box wouldn't self destruct in two minutes if he didn't play Cajun.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

ACE

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 11:14:54 AM »

Perhaps the wall of sound on those Mark Savoy clips was a bit heavy, but the sound from the box did not hit the right spot for me. Then it is down to each persons ear. I have had a couple of Chinese hohners for morris and dance and have no beef about them. Perfectly acceptable after a few minor tweeks. But I always revert to my other boxes when I need the sound I really like. I could save a few hundred pounds but as I said earlier if it takes off I shall only keep trading them in until I find that sweet sound I want.

triskel

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 12:27:17 PM »

... the sound from the box did not hit the right spot for me. ... I could save a few hundred pounds but as I said earlier if it takes off I shall only keep trading them in until I find that sweet sound I want.

Then, I'm afraid, your only real option is to bite the bullet and decide what make of hand-made Cajun box to get...  ???

In Louisiana you'll see them playing nothing but those, or the odd Hohner, or maybe (extremely rarely) an old Sterling or Monarch that's been rebuilt (but those are about as rare as hens' teeth :()

There are lots of good makers in Louisiana, and second hand (sometimes unplayed) ones often come up on eBay - otherwise Rees, of this parish, could make you a good one, or Eric Martin in France, if you don't want to cross the pond.

ACE

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 02:10:29 PM »

Had a session on a borrowed box, seems doable, swamp face has taken over from melodeon face, just a waltz for starters and totally alien  to the rumpty tumpty stuff I usually play. But I can see that the borrowed Scarlatti is not doing me any favours. But I hope the Junior Martin I spotted squirrelled away in some  local ads is still for sale when I have made my mind up.

blafleur

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 01:12:48 PM »

You are right, that Hohner, which can be made to sound good, sticks out like a sore thumb right out of the wrapping, even with Mr. Savoy playing it, and was well camouflaged with a room full of other instruments.  Proper tuning on a 114 can make them sound really good, but a bit hard to play otherwise. 

ACE

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 02:24:55 PM »

New toy arrived today. learning on the Max even after half an hour really makes a difference, alright not the full monty  compared to a real Cajun accordion, but for the price I am happy. With the pound taking a beating and import duties I doubt I could afford one from over the pond. Second hand boxes are as rare as hens teeth on the british market. I was not the only one with the used Junior Martin on my radar the guy selling it warned me to get in quick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal