Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streb as a Rock Band game controller  (Read 2876 times)

stevejay

Re: Streb as a Rock Band game controller
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 06:51:42 PM »

I just had to resurrect this. It might be my last chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgr59RiYaq8

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 09:00:52 PM »

I am really, really sorry to be so dense, but, I just went to the Accordion Hero site and also looked a couple you tubes.
Is is correct that one does not actually play, but just randomly pushes buttons and pretends to play, and the "game", which is a sort of video, plays itself, as long as one is doing something?
(I would consult the grandch's but am afraid....)
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

streb

• Good talker
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 09:50:35 PM »

Not quite. I have played Guitar Hero once. Only once mind. You have a guitar-shaped controller with four or five coloured buttons on the neck and a sort of strummable tab-like switch where the pickups would be. On the screen a conveyor belt moves coloured dots towards you in time with the backing track. You have to press the matching coloured fret and strum the switch at the same time the dot crosses the line. If you play the wrong button you do get a bum note I think and you also lose or at least fail to gain points. Like guitar tab on acid really. It is much, much more fun playing the real instrument, although I could see it generating interest in trying the real thing maybe.

Ed. I believe "Accordion Hero" is an ironic joke, for better or worse!

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Hero

Steve

ps. Steve C: I have just started to build your eMelodeon.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:01:18 PM by streb »

robotmay

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 10:27:15 AM »

Like most games, it was never really intended to replicate the real thing, but just be fun nonsense ;D
Here's an example of someone playing on a standard controller: https://youtu.be/cHRfbiwdheg?t=28s

I do believe drummers actually tend to be better at Guitar Hero than guitarists, as it's really more of a percussion game. I could see someone getting into drumming from the drum parts on Rock Band, however. Maybe not so much for "DJ Hero" though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Fep2UDBbo

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 04:58:35 PM »

Yes - I admit being a folkie gamer is somewhat of a niche thing. Folkie Gamer Esperantist Knitter even more so...

As said above, it's pretend. Wish fulfillment. So that you can be a rock star for a bit. I played a lot of Guitar Hero and Gran Turismo 5 at the same time. So I was basically doing a gig as a rock star and then playing with my stable of expensive sports cars. Living the dream...

That said, the latest versions have the "Pro" setting and the MIDI input. There's a specific guitar controller made by Fender that has 6 strings and a button on every fret, so you are in effect having to play the guitar correctly. I think tab comes up on the game screen instead of just the coloured buttons. Similarly for the keyboard; on the most difficult settings you actually have to play the tune. It's a party game; as said, the drums are pretty much just electric drums, and the idea is that a pretty good guitarist can play along with a toddler who is just learning how to press the coloured buttons in time to the music with it set so they don't get penalised if they fail. It's a music immersion game that is designed to be played with friends of all musical abilities; and if they enjoy it and want to play a real instrument after, all the better.

Mi neniam aŭdis tiun diron. Mi ŝatas ĝin!
"Tio estas volapukaĵo al mi" is basically the Esperanto equivalent of "It's all Greek to me". :D

And on unisonoric - you can set the Streb with note layouts where you basically tell it what note to play on pull and push, so a unisonoric layout can be made by simply setting the same note on both draws on the button. You could technically turn it into a little button PA really; C scale on the outside row and corresponding sharps and flats in the obvious places on the inner row. You'd have problems with the basses of course, unless you had a 12 bass one and had each button set as C C# D Eb E F F# G G# A Bb B. But mine only has 8 bass buttons.

On Streb's comment - that's how I expected it to be, but I think the game was just far too sensitive to the bellows movement and because it's a game where the correct note and ONLY the correct note must be hit at the right time, it kept failing me for hitting the "wrong" note when what I was doing is how I normally play - finger on button, activate bellows in chosen direction. If I even breathed the bellows a micrometre in the wrong direction it was failing me because it had detected the "wrong" note before the right one.

Streb Instruments - maker and purveyor of the finest hand-crafted video game controllers.

Take a look at this, for a drum kit from a music game being used to play a roleplaying game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HehglAbr7xs

And all of the iterations of Accordion Hero are parodies. They came out as in Guitar Hero 2 they had a spoof teaser trailer for "Accordion Hero, coming in 2008" and it "went viral" as the phrase goes. :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 05:02:36 PM by Strigulino »
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal