Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boxes suffering during lockdown?  (Read 1685 times)

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
Boxes suffering during lockdown?
« on: July 22, 2020, 05:40:24 PM »

Now this may be one thing or another.  I know four months of isolation has made changes in me, but has this inactivity also changed my boxes?  I have lost enthusiasm for practicing due to lack of outlet - can't legally play outside the house.  When I do pick up a box, I tend to play rather quietly in consideration for my neighbours who are also stuck indoors most of the time.  What I've noticed is that my best boxes are slow to speak at low pressure (moreso than I remember).  Is it possible that the fine setting of the reed action has been lost as the reeds have had months to relax?  It is quite noticeable on my Italian boxes, a Castagnari 1914 and a Dino Baffeti Binci - not so much with the old Hohner Club IIB Viktoria which lives beside the sofa.

Is there anything else that one should look out for as a consequence of lack of use?

Rob.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Boxes suffering during lockdown?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 01:01:47 AM »

Now this may be one thing or another.  I know four months of isolation has made changes in me, but has ... Is it possible that the fine setting of the reed action has been lost as the reeds have had months to relax?...

Is there anything else that one should look out for as a consequence of lack of use?

Rob.

I noticed something similar with my Saltarelle, that was unplayed throughout lockdown.

Some reeds were definitely slower to sound that I expected. After a bit of playing they seem to have recovered. Maybe I've just relearned the touch they need or,  maybe, their physical properties have recovered.

The other thing I had was a  reed that wouldn't sound at all. Holding the note down and repeated sounding with quite a lot of pressure seems to have sorted it out.

Another (E) reed has gone sharp. I think that will need tuning. In the meantime I am just using the other row's.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Paul Levett

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 08:15:51 AM »

As a player who only plays at home for my own amusement I've had the opposite. My boxes have never had such a tough time and seem to have gotten sweeter through use. I'm beginning to regret the easing of lockdown as I now have more distractions and am noticing the drop in "button time ". :||:

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 08:56:29 AM »

My Erica and ISIS are both fine but my muscle memory is struggling.  It's as if someone has moved the buttons around.

During the lockdown, I have acquired some new instruments which I have been spending more time on...Hofner Bass guitar, Yamaha electronic drums and an Ibanez 12 string guitar.

Picked up a melodeon and it was almost like having to re-learn tunes that I should know well...
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Clawhammer

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 02:29:10 PM »

I am struggling in a similar manner (said the Michigander).  Yesterday evening, I practiced outside with 11 other musos (who were each masked and appropriately distanced) and was amazed how my muscle memory (MM) has deteriorated. 

It seems my MM is more related to consistently playing WITH others and my overall motivation to pick up instruments is related to play FOR others at (now non-existent) public gigs?
trying to capably ride a pair of Baldoni DG and Baffetti BP II D/G boxes.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 05:22:48 PM »

During the lockdown, I have acquired some new instruments which I have been spending more time on...Hofner Bass guitar, Yamaha electronic drums and an Ibanez 12 string guitar.

Picked up a melodeon and it was almost like having to re-learn tunes that I should know well...

That's because the melodeon is sulking.... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Peadar

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 07:51:52 PM »

Rob.

Leaking valves/pallets......but genuinely these do seem to recover at least in part with use.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Jon Stapleton

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 10:43:02 PM »

i had noticed this    but after everyone was out (including the neighbours). i gave them all a proper blast. and i am happy to say they have all gone back to normal.   i agree that i think they were sulking  :||: . They are a lot more resilient than we think
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal