Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quebec vs Cajun  (Read 1914 times)

mselic

Quebec vs Cajun
« on: October 10, 2016, 08:30:52 PM »

I am interested in hearing people's opinions and experiences on the difference between Quebec-made one-row boxes and the typical, standard "Cajun" box. When I say Cajun, I'm not referring to the tuning, which can be adjusted on any box, but rather the build, design, feel, tone, keyboard action, etc. And to further clarify, when I say "Cajun" box, I'm referring to the typical one-row, 4-stop box that is made in the U.S. primarily for Cajun music, whether or not the actual builder is Cajun. In this category I would include Acadian, Bon Cajun, Jr. Martin, for example.

I myself have played several Quebec-made boxes from different makers, and only two "Cajun" boxes, a Savoy and a Bon Cajun. All the boxes were very good in their own way, but the Quebec and Cajun boxes were quite different from one another. For starters, I found the Cajun boxes to be louder and more present than the Quebec boxes, even if only marginally so. There is a deep resonance that speaks from the Cajun boxes that I haven't quite found to be as present in the Quebec boxes. This may be due in part to the fact that the holes in the cajun soundboards were always bigger than what I found in the Quebec boxes.  This isn't to say that the Quebec ones didn't have volume or a good tone, just that there seemed to be something a little extra coming from the Cajun ones. I could FEEL the sound resonating in the box in my hands, a very gratifying experience! The Quebec sound seems to be a little more "polite", even with the same make of reeds in both types of boxes.

When it comes to keyboard action, both seem to be really nice, light and responsive, but the Quebec boxes tend to have an easier feel to them, with shorter button travel than the Cajuns, which have rather tall buttons. I didn't find the button travel to be a hindrance on the Cajuns, just different, although I wondered if I would start to notice that difference more if I continued to play fast, precise music such as Irish.

The Castagnari "Max", which I have also played, seems to be nearer to the Quebec models than Cajun, although I'd say it is neither...it has a beautiful tone, but as someone on here once said, it doesn't quite have that same "bark" that a typical melodeon might have. It is certainly loud with a wonderful sound, but the tone is just different from what attracts me to the Quebec/Cajun boxes (I've actually come full circle on this!).

Any opinions, thoughts, experiences (especially from builders!) are welcomed!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:33:56 PM by mselic »
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Harmonicatunes

• Respected Sage
    • Harmonicatunes
Re: Quebec vs Cajun
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 12:44:31 AM »

I don't have any Cajun boxes, however I played a couple recently and was astounded at their response and volume.

However I do have a Hohner HA114 in D, nicely tuned up by Theo, with new bellows by Ignor Solinc, and other ergonomic features added (keyboard limiting, bass strap padding etc). In short, a very nice unit. My son has a Castagnari MAX in D. It feels like a Rolls Royce, the precision of the keyboard is superb, sound leaps from it (albeit somewhat drier than the Hohner). Much as I love my HA114, and will stick with it, the Castganari is several cuts above.

Here are the two of them in action: https://youtu.be/_tEFUBKuQPc
Harmonica Player
Just starting with the Box

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 07:26:26 AM »

I own a quebec made box which you formerly owned, Matt. And an Acadian made by Mark Savoy et. al. I also own a few Globe Gold medal boxes and many other pre WWII one row melodeons. I have played several other brands of Qboxes and cajun boxes, several Acadian brand which were set up for playing Quebec and Irish music. Also a french made Martin. My abolute favorite for sound is the D Gold medal, it rivals the best modern boxes for keyboard responsiveness as well. My cajun box has an intensity of sound that is viserally felt, but my favorite modern box is the quebec made one which I purchased from you Matt. It is more sensitive and expressive with superior keyboard responsiveness.  I have let several other very experienced players try this box. All have raved about it. Both the Acadian and the Maheux have Binci reeds but the Maheux has a "sweeter" prescence. It is less formidable than the Acadian, but plenty loud/powerful.  If I only bring one melodeon with me, it is always the Maheux, unless I am solely playing Cajun. The Quebec box "breathes" better than the cajun box. I can change directions faster and play melodies faster on the Qbox. The breather hole is larger in diameter on the Maheux and the Acadian feels "stuffy" in comparison. I have been considering enlarging the beather on the cajun box to emulate the quebec made one.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:32:22 AM by Psuggmog Volbenz »
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 07:37:03 AM »

I should add that I am quite pleased with both the Acadian and the Maheux and play both regularly.
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

tirpous

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 03:44:53 PM »

I measured soundboard holes on many boxes for my 1-row building project.
Older boxes (Globe, Eagle Brand) typically had rectangular holes of about 7.5 x 13.5 mm (100 mm² area)
Melodie and Messervier have 9.7 mm dia. holes (75 mm² area)
The Cajun plan on Yahoo calls for 3/8" (9.52mm) dia. holes.  I think this is pretty much standard for Louisiana boxes (but I could be wrong).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:46:29 PM by tirpous »

911377brian

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 03:57:56 PM »

It would be interesting if a YouTube video could be found comparing Cajun and Quebec boxes being played. I've searched but can't find anything. Perhaps a melnetter could put something up....big ask I know....

mselic

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 04:43:11 PM »

I own a quebec made box which you formerly owned, Matt.

Nice to hear from you, Blaine! The Maheux does have a *gorgeous* sound, quite possibly the best that I've heard on a Quebec-tuned box.  It's been the yardstick by which I measure other 4-stop, Binci boxes, and in some ways I've been chasing that same sound ever since!  I almost regret selling it, but the lack of functional stops was an issue for me as I like to vary the voicings quite a bit.  If I remember correctly, it played very easily but the sound would come in slowly, gradually with increased pressure, unlike the two Cajun boxes I tried that spoke immediately with the slightest pressure.  I do miss that box, and only have one 15 second video clip of me playing it to remind me of the gorgeous sound it produces.  If you ever produce any video or sound clips of your playing it, please do share!  Also, when you say "breather hole", are you referring to the air valve opening, or the treble side holes in the soundboard?

I currently have in my possession a new, Sag'ne one-row in D, which is lovely, and which I will comment on here soon, possibly in a new thread.  It's one of the nicest Quebec-made boxes that I've played, although it's not quite as raucous as the Maheux box.  I'm really glad that you've so enjoyed that box, Blaine :)

mselic

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 04:45:50 PM »

I measured soundboard holes on many boxes for my 1-row building project.
Older boxes (Globe, Eagle Brand) typically had rectangular holes of about 7.5 x 13.5 mm (100 mm² area)
Melodie and Messervier have 9.7 mm dia. holes (75 mm² area)
The Cajun plan on Yahoo calls for 3/8" (9.52mm) dia. holes.  I think this is pretty much standard for Louisiana boxes (but I could be wrong).

Thanks for that info.  The holes on the Quebec-made Sag'ne are rectangular, and although I haven't measured their size yet, they do appear to be noticeable smaller than what I saw on the Acadian.

Tirpous, are you located in the same area as me? I'm in Wakefield, Quebec, in the Gatineau Hills near Ottawa.

tirpous

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 02:03:44 AM »

Tirpous, are you located in the same area as me? I'm in Wakefield, Quebec, in the Gatineau Hills near Ottawa.

Guess so, I'm in Aylmer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal