Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Comet rehab and cleaning  (Read 1916 times)

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
Hohner Comet rehab and cleaning
« on: December 20, 2017, 07:27:27 PM »

Last week I found an old Hohner Comet for sale, and obtained it for $12. I couldnt resist. Turns out that it has seen some very heavy play from its former owner in the UK, but it is still is remarkable tune. While not typically in the habit of playing used harps, it seems a waste to resign it to my collection shelf and so I would like to rehab it.

I have some old threads about harp rehab, and I've done a but of tuning correction and gap setting on other harps in the past, but the Comet presents some special challenges I thought could benefit from fresh advice. Also, only fitting that we have a thread about the octave tuned Comet!

Chiefly, it needs deep cleaning but secondly, it seems that the draw reeds of the low octave are slapping the cover and buzzing. All is well when the cover is off but when it goes back on, ilthe low reeds buzz metallically on the draw above Hole 4. Also, I think this coukd be a gapping/tolerance issue. I pinged each reed and slid a sheet of Mylar under each one up to the end to try and remove some of the sediment and corrosion there. Photos attached.

My questions: How would you handle this? Can I soak the comb and plates to loosen the gunk? And how about that tricky buzzing? I am interested in any and all feedback and happy to post more photos.

Cheers,
Chris

Edit: trying to post some detailed photos but my phone is being a jerk. Also trying to get a video of the buzz going.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:29:32 PM by Christopher K. »

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
Re: Hohner Comet rehab and cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 07:56:11 PM »

Voila! Photos.

You can see how heavy the dirt is, hence the question about soaking prior to detail cleaning. Never cleaned a harp this gacked up.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:58:15 PM by Christopher K. »

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 09:58:17 AM »

It's OK to soak a plastic comb (which is what the pic appears to show). You can dismantle the reed plates from the comb by carefully removing the nails (nailed plastic is an odd idea, but they were made like that for a while). Isopropyl  alcohol is good for helping to remove crud and isn't greasy. The buzzing of the lowest draw reeds should in principle be avoidable by re-gapping (after all, it should have once played OK from the factory). Hope this helps.
Cheers
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 10:04:21 PM »

Thanks, Steve.

Got the comb fairly cleaned out without removing the reedplate nails using swabs, compressed air and high proof. I adjusted the gaps on those draw reeds to stop then slapping the cover but after 15 minutes or so of some heavier play, they seem to have resettled back in their old positions. Ever had that happen before?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal