Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: CLIP-ON MIKE recommendations requested  (Read 6101 times)

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
CLIP-ON MIKE recommendations requested
« on: October 24, 2016, 08:56:18 AM »

I'd be grateful for recommendations for a good quality clip-on mike for melodeon. Have you used one successfully.

I'd planned on using the AKG 516, but it needs to have a base-plate permanently fitted to each box, with screws or sticky stuff.  So that 6 base-plates for three boxes; and I'm not keen on defacing the boxes.  I have seen from Andy Cutting's example how easy it is to transfer a clip mike between boxes.

(Putting this as a new thread as more specific than the general "Interface"  discussion.)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: CLIP-ON MIKE recommendations requested
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 10:24:28 AM »

If you look closely at AC's Morys you'll see that he has cut a hole in the treble grill to take the clip.  You might not want to do that!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 11:41:59 AM »

Probably not as good quality mics as you are  looking for but I couldn't find a good clip system so adapted one for the T bone  CC75 from Thomann. I used an old guitar tuner and used the clip part to attach with Sugru to the microphone gooseneck...for the treble side.  It clips on neatly over the top of the fingerboard and is easily positioned. The bass side I just use the clip mic as it is, fitted to the handstrap.  Both mics go onto a magic box before going out to the desk, which gives me the option of using in ear headphone(s) to hear myself.
M
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:44:32 AM by Mike Carney »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 01:50:02 PM »

I'd be grateful for recommendations for a good quality clip-on mike for melodeon. Have you used one successfully.

I'd planned on using the AKG 516, but it needs to have a base-plate permanently fitted to each box, with screws or sticky stuff.  So that 6 base-plates for three boxes; and I'm not keen on defacing the boxes.  I have seen from Andy Cutting's example how easy it is to transfer a clip mike between boxes.

(Putting this as a new thread as more specific than the general "Interface"  discussion.)

I've used the previous version - AKG 416 - very successfully in the past. I was also loath to 'deface' the wood casework of my instrument by drilling holes for screws or bolts, so I used self-adhesive velcro patches on the top surface of the box, paired with the equivalent velcro patch on the underside of the mic mounting base plate. The adhesive on the velcro patches was sufficiently strong to hold the mics in place, but if need be the patches could be carefully peeled off; any sticky residue residue could be removed by rubbing with a damp soft cloth
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 02:23:55 PM »

Thanks Steve and Mike.
Taking account of your advice I've ordered the JTS version of the 516, as recommended by Bernard Loffet. Apparently it comes with two bases,  so that helps.  I'll use your method Steve. Thanks.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 10:54:20 AM »

Thanks Steve and Mike.
Taking account of your advice I've ordered the JTS version of the 516, as recommended by Bernard Loffet. Apparently it comes with two bases,  so that helps.  I'll use your method Steve. Thanks.

I had some of the JTS mics, they developed noise problems and weren't easily repairable. Would suggest going for a reputable manufacturer like AKG, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Shure even though the cost is higher.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:23:02 PM by IanD »
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:42:19 PM »

Thanks for your advice Ian. Looks like there are going to be some Returns being sent!

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 09:42:14 PM »

Do you want a clip on Mike Rowbotham, or a clip on Mike Gott ?

>:E
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 10:29:31 PM »

Thanks for your advice Ian. Looks like there are going to be some Returns being sent!

Try and find one that has a cable that can be replaced, this is often what goes wrong. If you want what is almost certainly the best clip-on solution and are feeling *very* flush you could treat yourself...

http://www.proaudiosystems.co.uk/dpa-d-vote-4099a-stand-mount-clip-microphone.html -- cheaper than Thomann :-)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:46:03 PM by IanD »
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 11:28:13 PM »

Thanks Steve and Mike.

I had some of the JTS mics, they developed noise problems and weren't easily repairable.

I've been using the JTS mics for about the last 7 years for regular gigging. I've had them for both the treble and bass end, with both a wireless system and a belt attached box. They have been very good for producing a clear sound faithfully reproducing the tone of whichever instrument they were attached to; easy to move between sets if you're changing instrument. The fittings stick on well and come off easily without marking the instrument even if you leave them on for years. I've had no sound problems apart from occasional feedback in very "acoustically challenged" village halls.

However, I can say that Ian's comment about the cables is absolutely right-I'm a bit hard on them as I can get a bit careless; fortunately our sound engineer is very patient and fixes them when I stand on them! They should be fine if you look after them a bit better than I do...

Hope this helps....

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 09:11:18 AM »

Thanks Guy and Ian. I've now ordered both makes and have to decide which to return. So that's Guy and Bernard Loffet saying the JTS is good reliable and cheap. And it comes with two bases. So maybe go with that. Loffet also recommends to use a tie-clip mike for the basses, and includes this in his sonorisation kit., so cheaper still. As I only rarely play in public makes sense to be modest in investment.   Maybe time now to let this thread drop.

Grape Ape

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 11:15:24 PM »

Maybe not. I have been watching this thread with interest.  I am interested in something as completely wireless as possible.  I would really like to hear what (and why) you decide.

While on the subject, this looks like a nice way to clip a mic to a box, and it's also a great video of great playing.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nAHWST_Ldu4

Anyone have any idea what it is and where to get one? I have noticed many players using them including Pignol and Milleret.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 11:23:02 PM »

You mean the box shaped fitting for a mic to clip onto?  Both on Gaillard boxes,   perhaps made by Gaillard?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 02:47:45 PM »

More hassles. If any other novice is thinking of miking up and is therefore following this tedious thread.... Here's another snag for you to avoid.

There are at least two different sizes of audio connectors: XLR and mini-XLR.  My JTS 516 gooseneck mike has just arrived......with a big XLR output, whereas the belt/battery boxes for both JTS and AKG  have little mini-XLR sockets.  So presumably I will have to use the AKG 516 after all. >:(    Can't be bothered with adaptors.

Another issue which I don't know about:  The AKG battery box output (B23L)  is for a miniature jack-plug, as for earphones.  Helpful to listen through.  But the JTS equivalent  has a big XLR  audio output socket.

I suppose it would be helpful to have a light cable from the little jack plug, which will then presumably have to feed in to a bigger noiseless cable via an adapter, and then to the mixing desk.    Is that right? (.... I don't blame you if you've stopped reading)

( :Ph More packages to return to the post office.)

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 03:20:18 PM »

The JTS 516W is the wireless version of the 516 and has a 4-pin mini XLR meant for their wireless transmitters and battery packs.
The 516, which you have, has a phantom power adapter built into the XLR plug.

AKG use a 3-pin mini-XLR.
Thomann do an equivalent to the older AKG B29L which has 2 3-pin mini XLR inputs and a single XLR out -

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t_bone_l_pack.htm

Or the Audix APS911 https://www.thomann.de/gb/audix_aps_911.htm or Superlux PS418D https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_ps_418_d.htm have just 1 3-pin mini XLR in but work off either battery or phantom.

Mitch

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:31:01 PM by Howard Mitchell-Borts (Mitch) »
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 12:07:18 PM »

Interesting and helpful thread. I'm ordering an AKG 516 for treble (velcro fixings could be a good option) and reckon a cheap tie clip mike for bass will be fine. Any recommendations and also any issues connecting tie clip into AKG battery box for easy on belt mixing ? I note comments that two separate channels are often better than one, but reckon less leads to tangle could be a good idea...
Old Bones Dance Band

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 03:15:38 PM »

Delighted that this  topic I started turned out to be useful to someone else.  If you look at the Bernard Loffet links I posted, he shows how to use a tie-pin style condenser mike for the basses, plugged into the battery box.  He offers a kit for this. I've also got the AKG stick-on mike for the RHS. I found that spare base plates and sticky patches can be ordered from Thomann's (at ridiculous price including £10 minimum carriage), enabling easy transfer between boxes.

( I'd recommend Bernard's thought-out kit over my saga of ordering and returning incompatible components trying to save a few Euros.)

dave t

• Good talker
  • DB Oakwood Super III/Pastourelle II
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »

Jack (or anyone else who wants to chime in), I'd be interested to know if you are still happy with the choice of AKG mics and if you opted for the mixer pack that Mitch suggested. I'm now in the exact position that you were in 9 months ago and would be keen to learn further from your experiences.

And does anyone have any experience with the t.bone Ovid System mics?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_ovid_system_cc_100.htm?ref=search_rslt_t.bone_270447_1

Cheers, Dave
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:53:48 AM by dave t »

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 01:18:56 PM »

Hi Dave
I did get  AKG accordion mikes for both treble and bass, plus the little mixer box that can clip on your belt.
I've only used it once for playing for dance. It worked, sounding loud and boomy, but I had no help in getting the adjustment right.
The output is 3.5mm stereo jack, and I used an adapter to a mono XLR (or whatever the initals are) which is frowned on, but worked.
For fixing to the box, I didn't fancy spoiling the finish with screws or glue, and the tiny AKG  mounting block would be too unstable with velcro or mastic.
So I superglued the block to a small square of something like ply, then put stick-on velcro on the the square and on my boxes.  This gives enough stability and enable quick transfer between boxes.
(The Loffet kit has bigger mounting blocks.. would make life easier.)
However, I have noticed that most professionals use a clip on mike that clips above the middle of the keyboard, rather than at the top end like mine. 
Hope this helps.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 02:09:22 PM »

...For fixing to the box, I didn't fancy spoiling the finish with screws or glue, and the tiny AKG  mounting block would be too unstable with velcro or mastic.
I used the clip-on AKG 416 mikes for a good few years and I found that the AKG mounting blocks were surprisingly secure with a patch of velcro on the base of the block, matching with a self-adhesive velcro patch on the top of the melodeon. When I sold the box on to someone else, the self-adhesive velcro patches came away without too much difficulty and did not leave a mark on the instrument (Castagnari-style natural wood with a lacquer finish).
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal