Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: CLIP-ON MIKE recommendations requested  (Read 6111 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: CLIP-ON MIKE recommendations requested
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 08:57:46 PM »

I used the clip-on AKG 416 mikes for a good few years and I found that the AKG mounting blocks were surprisingly secure with a patch of velcro on the base of the block, matching with a self-adhesive velcro patch on the top of the melodeon.

This has worked for me too (on my 516) but what works better is a blob of the white sticky tack ("elastic putty" at the bottom of p.2 in the attached parts list, sold by the metre).

dave t

• Good talker
  • DB Oakwood Super III/Pastourelle II
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 11:11:28 PM »

Thanks Jack (and the other contributors). It looks like AKG is the way to go but I think I'll probably get the t.bone pack that Mitch suggested.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t_bone_l_pack.htm

as it has an XLR output rather than mini jack.

Dave

dave t

• Good talker
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 06:29:01 PM »

So i bought the AKG C516 MLs with the t-bone l-pack which sounds great and I'm very happy with the setup.

I used the supplied putty to stick the fixing onto the box and played with it for the the first time at a ceilidh last night. However, the putty just gave up and the mics slowly drooped out of position. I had previously tried the double-sided sticky rubber pads and it was no better. I'm loath to screw in the fitting even though that would be the ultimate solution. There are suggestions futher down this thread that velcro is the way to go but I'm not convinced that it would hold everything in position firmly enough.

Has anyone used the AKG putty successfully?
Any other suggestions for fixing the mics into position?

Thanks, Dave

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »

I saw someone use the press stud, used for securing the bellows strap at the front top of the box, as an anchor for a mic.
And someone else (Saul Rose?) clipped his mic to the secured bellows strap.
Worst case, you could 're-purpose' that hole which is already drilled in your box. Always assuming one is fitted.
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 07:07:15 PM »

... There are suggestions futher down this thread that velcro is the way to go but I'm not convinced that it would hold everything in position firmly enough.

All I can say is to reiterate that self-adhesive velcro patches worked fine for me for several years, until I started using stand mics, in fact.
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,19518.msg250620.html#msg250620
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 08:14:48 PM »

Yes - see above.

This [i.e. Velcro] has worked for me too (on my 516) but what works better is a blob of the white sticky tack ("elastic putty" at the bottom of p.2 in the attached parts list, sold by the metre).

BTW in both cases (Velcro and putty) I put the mounting block on the top of the treble cabinet, i.e. lying flat. And with the putty I use a pretty big dollop that I can firmly squish the block into.

dave t

• Good talker
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 11:48:23 PM »

Yes - see above.

This [i.e. Velcro] has worked for me too (on my 516) but what works better is a blob of the white sticky tack ("elastic putty" at the bottom of p.2 in the attached parts list, sold by the metre).

BTW in both cases (Velcro and putty) I put the mounting block on the top of the treble cabinet, i.e. lying flat. And with the putty I use a pretty big dollop that I can firmly squish the block into.

I'm mounting on the side of the cabinet at the knee end to keep everything out of the way. Maybe that's the issue.

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 07:41:19 PM »

I glued a hard disk drive magnet to the inside of my box. With another magnet (got to get you N and S right!) I glued a piece of leather to the box side of the magnet and the microphone arm to the other side of the magnet and plopped it onto the outside of the box. It holds very well. To reiterate I have a magnet on the inside and outside with the box case in between them. I suppose neodymium or rare earth magnets would do as well but I had some old broken drives hanging around begging me to use them!

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 08:21:33 PM »

Do you ever repair computers with left over bits of melodeon?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 02:03:19 PM »

Do you ever repair computers with left over bits of melodeon?
I am thinking about replacing the ESC key on my keyboard with a melodeon button. It reminds me I need to escape to doing something more productive!  :||:
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 06:23:05 PM »

Jack, your super-glue fix to give a greater base area for velcro sounds like the fix I need to stop a bit of boomy 'waggle' from my treble-end AKG - thanks for this idea.  I used to use an AKG on the bass end, too, but the movement inherent on playing the instrument exaggerated the waggle problem, so I got a simple tie-clip mike, re-soldered the mini plug onto it and plonked it on my bass end with blu-tack.  Crude, I know, but it works with the independent vol controls on the AKG box (which I also velcro to the back of the treble end for ease of volume access).
Cheers all. Tony

dave t

• Good talker
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2017, 02:33:48 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out Rileycat, I missed the extra detail. I'll try it out at the weekend and see how I get on. I'm still sceptical that the Velcro will hold well enough as I want to have the mics mounted on the front of the box (as you hold it) towards the knee end and curling round to the grill, rather than on top.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2017, 03:06:39 PM »

I have used a 'heavy duty' velcro patch for an AKG microphone on top of my Pastourelle 2 - but did put a strip of gaffer tape on as well to secure it further. No problems on first use even though I was moving round quite a lot on stage !
I did consider using a mounting on the front edge of the box, but felt that velcro wouldn't be sufficient, and I didn't want to drill holes in the box.

Currently I'm using a cheap clip on on the bass end, again secured with velcro after I found that attaching to bass strap resulted in too much random noise.

I hadn't thought of attaching the belt pack to the back of the box. Interesting - but knowing me I'd probably bash it. At least on the belt it's out of the way - though not so easy to change settings.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

dave t

• Good talker
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2017, 11:00:07 AM »

I glued a hard disk drive magnet to the inside of my box. With another magnet (got to get you N and S right!) I glued a piece of leather to the box side of the magnet and the microphone arm to the other side of the magnet and plopped it onto the outside of the box. It holds very well. To reiterate I have a magnet on the inside and outside with the box case in between them. I suppose neodymium or rare earth magnets would do as well but I had some old broken drives hanging around begging me to use them!

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I had a play around with neodymium magnets over the weekend with little success. The magnets were not strong enough but the stated pull was 2.1 kg which I thought would do the job even taking into consideration the fact that the magnets are separated by the box casing.

Where on your box have you have placed the magnet? I also wasn't able to find a suitable mounting point inside the casing to get the mic on the front of the box.

Thanks, Dave

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 12:59:50 AM »

Here in the US, there is a relatively new company called Myers Acoustic which is making clip on mics.  I just ordered one for my mandolin, but I see a number of accordion players are endorsing them on their website.  I do not yet own one so I cannot comment on how they sound.  I will comment on the device after I have used it.  My two cents.   Charlie

https://www.myerspickups.com/
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal