Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for November 2016: Minor Jigs  (Read 10807 times)

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
Re: Theme of the Month for November 2016: Minor Jigs
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 09:48:01 AM »

I'm acutely aware that I haven't posted in T(h)otM for a good while - mainly because there simply aren't enough hours in the day to get anything recorded. However. I'm having knee replacement surgery on Thursday,
Graham

Remember not to tap your foot too vigorously whilst recording... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 11:05:53 AM »

I'm acutely aware that I haven't posted in T(h)otM for a good while - mainly because there simply aren't enough hours in the day to get anything recorded. However. I'm having knee replacement surgery on Thursday, so recuperation time should allow me to get something done. IN the meantime, here's a minor jig I recorded some years ago. I may have posted this before in a differnet context; if I have, my apologies......https://soundcloud.com/mrkoilani/the-phantom-lobster

Really like the tune and playing.  Is it your composition?; So clever and creative with the arrangement.  Reminded me of Morris On.  (big compliment!)

Graham

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 01:02:59 PM »

I'm acutely aware that I haven't posted in T(h)otM for a good while - mainly because there simply aren't enough hours in the day to get anything recorded. However. I'm having knee replacement surgery on Thursday, so recuperation time should allow me to get something done. IN the meantime, here's a minor jig I recorded some years ago. I may have posted this before in a differnet context; if I have, my apologies......https://soundcloud.com/mrkoilani/the-phantom-lobster

Really like the tune and playing.  Is it your composition?; So clever and creative with the arrangement.  Reminded me of Morris On.  (big compliment!)

Graham

Thanks Jack - much appreciated. Yes, it's one of my tunes; the Telecaster was being played by my dear and late friend Tony (whom Baz will also remember fondly); most of the rest is me. The arrangement sort of happened while Tony and I were chucking the tune around to see what it would do!

Graham
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 11:43:20 AM by GPS »
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 05:07:38 PM »

I'll Touzle Your Kurchie

I've had the music lying around for a while, but never bothered learning to play it until now.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Ellisteph

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 08:43:32 PM »

I'll Touzle Your Kurchie

I've had the music lying around for a while, but never bothered learning to play it until now.
Great one & wonderfully played as usual. I've only ever heard Dave Ball play this before; should have paid more attention!
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 07:50:13 PM »

My contribution
in B minor all works in progress- hopefully 8)
https://soundcloud.com/boxcall/Geese-in-the-bog-and
Connaughtman's Rambles.

another one in Ador if it qualifies as minor ?
https://soundcloud.com/boxcall/lilting-banshee
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 11:26:06 PM »

I'm working on these two as a set

The Rigged Ship / Dribbles of Brandy ( both Em)

They also go nicely with The Seven Stars, but that is in D so outside remit of this ToTM, unless somebody wishes to transpose into Bm perhaps?

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2016, 01:05:55 PM »

I wrote this some 30 years ago just after acquiring a Saltarelle with a stop for removing thirds (not that I knew that this was what it did...I just liked the noise it made... :|bl)
The title comes from the younger son of Chris Taylor, ex Oyster Ceilidh Band and Gas Mark 5. We were staying with a mutual friend in Chester, and Chris was playing me a demo of GM5's new album.Small boy looks up from Lego
"What's that?"
"It's Daddy's new band..."
Considered pause. "Sounds like a fish...". Returns to Lego
Comme Un Poisson in Em
https://youtu.be/yWUF9-7IUkA
Goes on a bit...it's one of those tunes that never knows when to stop...and there's a stop to take out the thirds...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 05:57:58 PM »

https://youtu.be/_XNVf_M00Qo

Three tunes from the Blowzabella tunebooks, plus Zelda.
This was really to try out a new way of recording, using the Camera app on my new Windows 10 laptop, plus Zoom H1 as a USB mike. (Clive's suggestion) Seems to give better sound than previously when I used a small Canon camera.  What do you think?

Regret seriously wrong notes in last tune.
(Now restored link, after accidental deletion)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:34:33 AM by Jackhumphreys »

Ellisteph

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 10:47:58 AM »

https://youtu.be/_XNVf_M00Qo

Three tunes from the Blowzabella tunebooks, plus Zelda.
This was really to try out a new way of recording, using the Camera app on my new Windows 10 laptop, plus Zoom H1 as a USB mike. (Clive's suggestion) Seems to give better sound than previously when I used a small Canon camera.  What do you think?

Regret seriously wrong notes in last tune.
(Now restored link, after accidental deletion)
Lots of good stuff there; I can understand your frustration re the last tune,but it happens to us all Jack - thanks for posting anyway. I was interested to see you play RSB in upper octave as well as lower - I must try that. I put RSB on YT back in May 2013 but lower octave only. Just off to the dusty end right now.......

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2016, 10:54:32 AM »

Lots of good stuff there; I can understand your frustration re the last tune,but it happens to us all Jack - thanks for posting anyway. I was interested to see you play RSB in upper octave as well as lower - I must try that. I put RSB on YT back in May 2013 but lower octave only. Just off to the dusty end right now.......

Yep, I *vaguely* remember one of the first AndyC workshops I went to taught that tune, in the upper octave (a very mysterious place to me at the time)... of course, you can play it in the lower octave, but assuming Andy didn't teach it that way for the hell of it, but because that's how he wrote it/plays it, it will be one of those tunes easier to play up the dusty end.

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2016, 12:42:04 PM »

This is a tune that I transcribed for the Village Music Project from the Matthew Betham tune book who lived near Shap in Cumbria. As with many of these tune books, deciphering the key is sometimes a problem. The tune had no key signature, and C didn't sound right, so Tumbling Tom band play it in G/Em, though some interpret it as F/Dm.
I hope you enjoy it.
Hugh

X:1
T:Hopkinson's Favourite Dance
S:From the Matthew Betham tune book
M:6/8
L:1/8
N:Time signature was written as 2/4 but I've changed it to 6/8.
N:NB1-This bar is as written
N:NB2-This note could be written as a 'a' but I think its an 'g' to fit in with the end of the A part.
N:Plays in Em
K:G
|"Em"ege g2 e|"Em"B2 G G2 B|"Em"ege g2 e|"D"a2 f f2 g|
"Em"ege g2 e|"Em"B2 G GBe|"C"g2 b bag|"D"aga f2 g:|
"Em"e2 b bag|"G"abc' b2 g|"A"e2 b bag|"Bm"a2 f f2 g|
"Em"e2 b bag|"G"abc' b2 g|"C"c'ba bag|"Bm"aga f2g:||
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 04:11:17 PM »

I'll Touzle Your Kurchie

Once again, a wonderful inspiration to hear your playing,  Anahata. I dream of being able to play with this clarity and precision, with all those little quavers tumbling by equally spaced -  whether push-pull or not.  It's a real encouragement to keep practising WITH THE METRONOME .... for those of us who don't have that wonderful internal rhythm.  (Also, Milleret/Pignol say we must!)  :|glug       

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 04:17:26 PM »

Obviously, with MM  on a DG you'd want to keep away from that screechy top octave.  But with ML or MML,  I prefer the top octave for bouncy or assertive tunes.  Maybe in another ten years my fingers will automatically adjust for the different fingering.

Yep, I *vaguely* remember one of the first AndyC workshops I went to taught that tune, in the upper octave (a very mysterious place to me at the time)... of course, you can play it in the lower octave, but assuming Andy didn't teach it that way for the hell of it, but because that's how he wrote it/plays it, it will be one of those tunes easier to play up the dusty end.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2016, 05:39:33 PM »

with all those little quavers tumbling by equally spaced

Actually many of them are written as dotted quaver-semiquaver pairs, and though I was trying very hard to get them to sound that way, I don't think they really come through as such. Even so there's something about making the effort to get those dotted rhythms in that seems to make it sound more "right" than if you play mechanically straight quavers.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2016, 12:45:02 AM »

Here's my effort - I've learned Paul James' 48 bar jig, Horizonto!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M90nxkIwTEo

Played on the G/C Lilliput from Kay, and up in the squeaky octave! Turned out to be nowhere near as hard as I remembered (I've been trying to play this for years), but the 2nd part requires some counterintuitive fingering if you're not going to run out of air!

Cheers,

Clive

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2016, 07:34:52 AM »

Played on the G/C Lilliput from Kay, and up in the squeaky octave! Turned out to be nowhere near as hard as I remembered (I've been trying to play this for years), but the 2nd part requires some counterintuitive fingering if you're not going to run out of air!

Cheers,

Clive

Thanks Clive. Once again, you bring the special melodeon character and your trademark relaxed rhythm to a tune.   It makes my version sound really rushed, as I try to keep up to Blowzabella tempo.  https://youtu.be/hzx7r1vwgfU

The comparison is also relevant to the thread about when to push-pull. In my opinion, your  (and Andy's I think) push-pull rendition of the quick notes in this  really works better than cross rowing them.   If I could manage the push-pull I would!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2016, 09:46:58 AM »

Cheers Jack - yes, I guess I do play quite a lot in push/pull phrases on one row, although the actual row I'm on changes a bit. My crossrow technique isn't quite punchy enough for this sort of thing... there's a noticeable (to me, at any rate) difference when I do.

Ellisteph

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2016, 10:07:29 AM »

Cheers,

Clive
Lovely Clive. This might make an interesting TOTM to see all the variations in push/pull and cross-rowing; though once you've decided on one way of doing it I think it would be difficult to change. I would also like to add that I am in awe of a mind that can compose such a tune. I find it's one of those tunes you need to play fairly regularly or you forget how to do it.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2016, 01:21:53 PM »

Here's a reworking of a tune I wrote over the summer. I decided to take out the extra bar in the A section, so it is now standard phrase lengths. E minor on the DG Sander I bought earlier this month.
Recycle
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal