Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which One? So many choices!  (Read 8502 times)

fc diato

• Regular debater
Re: Which One? So many choices!
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2016, 01:15:58 PM »

Mary ... I second third and fourth and fifth the growing consensus advice you're getting.
- don't overthink... just get a box!  I bought my first on a total lark, and didn't even know they came in different keys. The point is to have one at home to play.  After a while, you'll figure out what you really like to play and what you want. All while having fun!  Then resell and rebuy. 

- so either head down I-91 to the Button Box where you can feel and hear a bunch of boxes. Don't know where you are in Vt, but unless it's the northeast kingdom, it really is next door - just across the border 15 minutes from Brattleboro.
- or the AD box if you're ready to take the jump and trust the advice on the forum (I would!)
fc diato

MaryColleen

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2016, 04:27:52 AM »

OMG! I bought one!

I took the "jump in and buy one" advice and bought a one row cajun!

I just hit the "submit order" button and it's done. It should arrive within the week.

Why did I buy a one row two base?? I've been looking at and listening to 2 row 8 bases!

Did I make a mistake?

Ack! Buyer's panic!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »

Don't worry, you'll have great time with it. Congratulations!!!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2016, 07:40:48 AM »

From what you've said earlier,, there is no wrong choice except not getting something. Have fun! :|||:
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2016, 08:19:49 AM »

OMG! I bought one!

I took the "jump in and buy one" advice and bought a one row cajun!

I just hit the "submit order" button and it's done. It should arrive within the week.

Why did I buy a one row two base?? I've been looking at and listening to 2 row 8 bases!

Did I make a mistake?

Ack! Buyer's panic!

Congratulations, Mary! You should have a lot of fun with that instrument and be assured: no - you haven't made a mistake!

Although it is generally 'accepted wisdom' that one-row four-stop instruments are not beginners' instruments, that's usually because it's recommended for beginners to explore the relationships between the rows on a two-row instrument at a fairly early stage. But, <whispers> I actually started off on a one-row instrument too!

The one-row box will teach you the push-pull technique of playing 'up and down the row' which is the underlying basis of all diatonic instruments which comprise the melodeon family. You will also have the different stops which will bring in the various banks of reeds and allow you to explore the variety of sounds which it can make.

If, at a later stage, you feel moved to get a two-row instrument, your experience and skills learned on the one-row will stand you in good stead and will never be wasted.

I don't have many recordings of me playing one-rows, but there are a few which Darren (Dazbo of this forum) made a good few years ago now. :|bl
Hopefully they will give you an introductory insight into one of the styles of playing which these boxes are capable of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE_YMn7dINc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y0wM1w7Zdw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnNRC_Z2GJ4
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2016, 09:04:35 AM »

Well done Mary - glad to hear you've taken the plunge!
As you can see, if you ask a question here, you'll get a lot of replies and help so please ask away if you get stuck on anything.
....and of course, most importantly, enjoy your new journey into melodeonism (:)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

MaryColleen

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2016, 01:17:41 PM »

I don't have many recordings of me playing one-rows, but there are a few which Darren (Dazbo of this forum) made a good few years ago now. :|bl
Hopefully they will give you an introductory insight into one of the styles of playing which these boxes are capable of:

I love these tunes! Thank you for the videos and the encouragement! I feel much less panicked today!  (:)
And I love your Castagnari! I was actually looking at that one and almost got it, but I went with a used BonTee instead as it was a bit less expensive. I'm very excited for it to arrive!  :|||:

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2016, 01:18:34 PM »

Several members, Daddy Long Les, Anahata and others have great one row videos on Youtube for learning and inspiration!
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2016, 01:37:10 PM »

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2016, 08:39:02 AM »

As I found out last night in Witney,  one row is a good place to learn some keyboard geography. I didn't but maybe should have started there.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal