Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Oakwood  (Read 39268 times)

PatC

Re: Oakwood
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 12:12:31 AM »

A very nice looking box, although I would prefer a plain bellows, and first impressions seem very positive.
I look forward to the first YouTube videos to hear how it compares to the older models.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 07:17:12 AM »

I heard that the Music Room were selling up
Blimey that will be a shock to us all.
I think we need to be careful and not start any unfounded rumours, but something seems to be going on
Yes - confirmed at Melodeons at Witney.
The Music Room in its present form is closing down. The existing business partnership has been dissolved. However, Martyn Banks ('Mr Oakwood') is hoping to continue with some sort of presence on the existing site.

Back on topic: I tried out the new prototype Oakwood too - very nice lightweight two voice 2-row D/G box in a standard 11/10 + 8 button configuration. Nice responsive reeds (Binci, I think) and well balanced basses/chords. The tuning was a light-ish tremolo, nowhere near as wet as a factory Hohner but more wobble than a Castagnari. I would say a similar sound to the old classic Oakwoods.

The were two stops on the LH side to remove the lowest reed from the bass notes and to remove the thirds from the chords. A design fault on the prototype was that the stops were too close together which meant that it was awkward to close the top bellows strap - you had to wiggle it in between the shafts of the stops. However, that can probably be corrected on future instruments with a bit of nifty internal design modification.

A very nice looking box, although I would prefer a plain bellows....
It's just bellows tape. I expect you could order bellows with whatever pattern you wanted, or simply plain. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

NineOclock

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 08:29:25 AM »

That's good news, I have a model 2 and its the only one of my boxes I couldn't part with.

I had contemplated a DB special for Morris, but feel I can wait now.

Nigel
Nigel Sparkes
Salterelle Pasteurelle 3, Tara. Oakwood model 2, Hohner Morgane, Hohner One row 's in G,D & C. Pokerwork DG & GC, Corso CF, Eb/Bb, Castagnari Dony

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »

Was there an Oakwood stall as such at Witney, Steve, or were the new Oakwoods on show on the Music Room stand?
Steve from Wakefield

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 09:38:14 AM »

A design fault on the prototype was that the stops were too close together which meant that it was awkward to close the top bellows strap - you had to wiggle it in between the shafts of the stops. However, that can probably be corrected on future instruments with a bit of nifty internal design modification.

Martyn said this will be corrected on the production versions

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 09:39:32 AM »

Was there an Oakwood stall as such at Witney, Steve, or were the new Oakwoods on show on the Music Room stand?

The stand with the sandpipers on was Martyn's stand and he had the prototype there for testing/tempting  (:)

jonm

• Regular debater
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 10:29:33 AM »

For those not at Witney, any idea of cost, opportunities to try and how to order one, please?
Castagnari Mory and Giordy D/G, Hohner Erica, four-stop in G, two-stop in G

Matthew Rickard

• Good talker
  • Living & learning. Otherwise you'd just be living.
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »

The stand with the sandpipers on was Martyn's stand and he had the prototype there for testing/tempting  (:)

So how did the "tempting" part go for him?

I don't know Martyn personally but from chatting to him I got the impression that he was to continue as a trader selling his own Oakwoods made to order, Sandpipers (as these were his design) and some other boxes buying/selling/trading basis. Whether this will be as part of the Musicroom in some new form going forward or not was still up in the air - he is far more interested in the designing/making instruments side of things than the running a business part.

So right now, it is all direct with Martyn, so contact him if you want a box.

For those not at Witney, any idea of cost, opportunities to try and how to order one, please?

I believe the standard price was going to be £2,800, don't know if anyone else can remember but that is the number in my memory. I would say expensive considering the spec (it does the same as a Baffetti Binci with 2 stops) but great value considering the quality and the sound.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:53:04 AM by Matthew Rickard »
Dino Baffetti Binci DG - Hohner Erica CF - Serenellini Lady DG
Red Cuthbert Morris
Bedfordshire Beginners' Melodeon Playgroup

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 11:17:18 AM »

Just letting things whirl around in my mind..... there are so many questions coming out of this thread!

I'm wondering how the Oakwood prototype compares to the Walnut 'Specials from the Music Room.
I've tried a couple of those Specials and quite liked them, Matthew says it seems more responsive than his Baffetti Binci.

It also poses the questions, will the Baffetti Binci's and Specials still be made or will the real Oakwoods replace them?
The Binci in particular seems to be the morris weapon of choice but perhaps because the alternatives are limited.
Exciting news though!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Matthew Rickard

• Good talker
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 11:20:57 AM »

Matthew says it seems more responsive than his Baffetti Binci.
Oh that prototype Oakwood was a class above my Baffetti Binci, and the testimonials from people who can actually play and the endorsements from those who have preordered speak volumes.

It also poses the questions, will the Baffetti Binci's and Specials still be made or will the real Oakwoods replace them?
The Binci in particular seems to be the morris weapon of choice but perhaps because the alternatives are limited.

I would speculate that they Baffetti Binci's are at an end. They have vanished as new instruments on the Music Room website and if Martyn is concentrating on making Oakwoods and if the Music Room partnership is ending, that probably means they are no more. But who knows what the future holds?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:24:17 AM by Matthew Rickard »
Red Cuthbert Morris

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 11:28:56 AM »

+1
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Matthew Rickard

• Good talker
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 11:34:01 AM »

+1

The price of £2,800 was mentioned as a standard price (the first pre-orders got a discount). Custom made so maybe could even put your air button in at the bottom for you, Brian! Only downside is that the next time I see you up in Liverpool for work I wont be able to have a go on your shiney new Oakwood.

Hopefully someone else can say how to contact Martyn.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:38:15 AM by Matthew Rickard »
Red Cuthbert Morris

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2016, 11:42:07 AM »

The price of £2,800 was mentioned as a standard price (the first pre-orders got a discount). Custom made so maybe could even put your air button in at the bottom for you, Brian! Only downside is that the next time I see you up in Liverpool for work I wont be able to have a go on your shiney new Oakwood.

Actually if its any good, it should be playable without using the air button! I sometime do that as an experiment.
Brian Read
A STREB!!,
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 11:52:40 AM »

You can contact Martyn through the Oakwood website
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 11:58:45 AM »

Actually if its any good, it should be playable without using the air button! I sometime do that as an experiment.

I don't see how that's possible, unless it uses no air at all or you have to choose your tune carefully.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

brianread

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2016, 12:09:41 PM »

I don't see how that's possible, unless it uses no air at all or you have to choose your tune carefully.

Clearly you have to start with the bellows in the middle and play something that works, many simple tunes do (Standard Morris tunes especially), Am/Em often don't. Good exercise in bellows control I think. G rather than D as the larger and lower D notes seem to need more air.

While we are talking bellows exercises  - playing as quietly as possible is also a good trick.
Brian Read
A STREB!!,

brianread

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 12:11:50 PM »

You can contact Martyn through the Oakwood website

Is that the same as the MR website-  or is there a specific Oakwood site? (I've tried googling it).

Ok, found it now:

http://www.oakwoodinstruments.co.uk/four/index.htm
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 12:24:07 PM by brianread »
Brian Read
A STREB!!,

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »

You want this one:

http://www.oakwoodinstruments.co.uk/

Oakwood are a separate concern, doing lots of string instruments as the 'day job'.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2016, 12:49:34 PM »

Yes - what Lester said; there was no Music Room stand at Witney.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2016, 12:52:30 PM »

So how did the "tempting" part go for him?
Somebody at Witney bought the prototype, I believe. Was it someone on here? Own up!!!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal