Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Oakwood  (Read 39273 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Oakwood
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2017, 05:47:36 PM »

Sandy, I think the 2 row prototype will be there, and if I've understood correctly, a 'John Spiers' prototype 2.5 row as well.
I certainly hope so, I'd like to see what all the fuss is about  :||:
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2017, 05:53:06 PM »

I spoke to Martin earlier today. The Squeezeboxes stall will be there all week.  Not sure if the John Spiers signature 2.5 model will be there in prototype form but numbers 1-4 of the original 2 row production run are just over the horizon.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »

Thanks. And even better if there could be an Oakwood Baffetti Special to compare it with  :P
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2017, 06:15:00 PM »

Does anyone know if there will be one of these to try at Sidmouth?

Oakwood will be there (Martyn Banks) and I'm fairly sure the prototype will also be there

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2017, 06:20:02 PM »

Thanks. And even better if there could be an Oakwood Baffetti Special to compare it with  :P

Having played both... no comparison.  However you will (probably) be able to repeat the experiment with both boxes side by side  :|||:

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2017, 06:11:20 AM »

Having played both... no comparison.  However you will (probably) be able to repeat the experiment with both boxes side by side  :|||:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2017, 03:02:34 PM »

I had the opportunity to play the Oakwood 2 voice prototype yesterday and it really was something else. I was quite surprised though to see that they also had another prototype that wasn't the 2.5 row or 1 voice they'd announced; Did anyone else play the 3 voice demo box they had? It was beautiful in basically every way a box could be. I also met some people in and around the music stalls, such as Malcolm and Helena.

I believe they've sold all of the Dino Baffetti Super II/III instruments they brought with them though so side by side comparisons may be harder. Still worth the trip to the stall though if you haven't yet, even if just for the conversation, but definitely play the demo boxes if you want to feel sad about not owning one.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2017, 03:06:49 PM »

but definitely play the demo boxes if you want to feel sad about not owning one.

Or happy if you are one of the few... 8)  :||:
Brian Read
A STREB!!,
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2017, 09:29:51 PM »

They have a 3 voice in Maple there.
Apparently they had a spare case so built it up as a 3 voice.
I tried and preferred the 2 voice. It was nice, very nice in fact. So nice I went back for another go today and back again to ask what my daughter thought of the sound.
I think that says all!

It has an amazing dynamic range, play it gently and squeeze and the volume just goes up.
The left hand has a low bass reed stop and a thirds stop. It was just so light to play, really quite something.
Q
Pondering....
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2017, 09:55:55 PM »

I talked with Martyn a bit about the apparently two new 2 row Oakwood boxes, and my understanding was that, in the case of the demonstration boxes, the 2 voice and 3 voice do have different reeds in them, so that might be a factor in preferring one or the other. I think the Demonstration 2 voice had Binci made ones, and the 3 has reeds from another, equally tip top manufacturer. (maybe the same one as the DB Supers? He did mention them by name, but I'm afraid I have a very poor head for such things or anything really that's not written down for me). Both were extraordinary though.

I genuinely couldn't believe how easily the bass end moved. It seemed like a step past what you'd think was actually possible, although granted my playing experience is only having short goes on Ladys/Tommys/DB Bincis.

edit - I should add, I think they were intending to move from the 2 voice 2 row to the John Spiers 2.5 row, but, it isn't quite ready yet (poor squeezy), hence its absence at Sidmouth. So, they're planning to make use of the time until that design is ready to make some 3 voice 2 row instruments in the same body as the 2 voice; I would guess since it would fit and they have that design pretty much ready to go. My understanding is, they've made 10 2 voice boxes initially, some quantity of which have been or are just being delivered to people now (many prospective owners have posted in this thread) but, for the time being at least, they probably aren't making more 2 voice 2 rows? Instead, they're making 5 of these 3 voice boxes, and I'm fairly certain they are open to orders for those. There was a price being batted around at the stall, which I'm not sure if is final, but, it did start with a 3. The original range of Oakwood's melodeons were well before my time, but one imagines that, in the future, ordering would open up to match whatever scheme they used back then.

If you're interested in any of their boxes I'd definitely shoot either Martyn, John or Alyson (via squeezeboxes.co.uk) an email, or find them at a festival because they're a delight to talk to, and information from the horses mouth is always more likely to be right!

Oh, and I think the demonstration box is in a slightly blue tinted bird's eye maple, which gives it a rather striking appearance. I wish I'd taken a picture!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:02:55 AM by Gena Crisman »

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2017, 08:28:24 AM »

I initially had a long chat with Squeezy and we discussed the new boxes and those in the pipeline.
Martyn has some very innovative ideas for the 2.5 row and it sounds like he is now taking time out to develope those in order to build them into the new 2.5 row.
The 2 rows being a more traditional build, with modifications to improve the original model especially with respect to the originals weak basses. The new one has a good bass end!
As I understand it, orders are being taken for the 2 rows, but a new batch won't be started work on until the New Year.

Yes the Maple one was really a good looker, so if anyone's passing grab a picture for this thread!
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2017, 11:32:15 PM »

Oh, and I think the demonstration box is in a slightly blue tinted bird's eye maple, which gives it a rather striking appearance. I wish I'd taken a picture!

Yes the Maple one was really a good looker, so if anyone's passing grab a picture for this thread!

Here you go. Oh, and I thought the three voice would look better with a slightly darker Oakwood name/logo and I think Martyn agreed.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:35:46 PM by vof »
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2017, 12:02:28 AM »

What a star! I guess it must have just been the lighting in the tent when I was there, as there's not a hint of blue there now.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »

Yes, thanks matey, I can look on, drool and reminisce!

I've since got back and played my Castagnari Tommy which is a similar size.
The Oakwood has a left hand stop to take out the low bass reed. I was thinking the Tommy ( a little cracker really! ) sounds like it already has the low reed out, if that makes sense. The bass end of the Oakwood is certainly much fuller in sound.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2017, 12:40:50 PM »

Yes, thanks matey, I can look on, drool and reminisce!

I've since got back and played my Castagnari Tommy which is a similar size.
The Oakwood has a left hand stop to take out the low bass reed. I was thinking the Tommy ( a little cracker really! ) sounds like it already has the low reed out, if that makes sense. The bass end of the Oakwood is certainly much fuller in sound.
Q
Both the Castagnari Tommy and Lilly only have two reeds for each bass note. These are tuned two octaves apart, so typically on the D/G box for instance, the G bass is comprised of two reeds sounding G2 and G4. Similarly for the other bass notes. Additionally, the octave 4 top bass reed is also utilised (shared) as the tonic reed of the adjacent chord button, so when playing  the chord and a bass note together, you effectively only hear a single bass reed in octave 2, as the ear perceives the octave 4 bass reed as the tonic of the chord.

Like the larger Castagnaris (and most other Italian boxes), I guess the bass end of the Oakwood has three independent reeds for each bass note (in octaves 2, 3 and 4) and three independent reeds for each chord, so no reed sharing at all, and hence a richer, fuller sound.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2017, 01:24:36 PM »

Lilly's have even fewer bass chord reeds than that Steve!  4 in total per bass/chord pair.  Two tonic, onecthird, one fifth. Tommys may have an additional high tonic.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2017, 01:35:04 PM »

I had a long chat with Squeezy before playing the 2 voice. He explained the improvements made over the original model 2 Oakwood.
The bass end is larger and has fretwork sound holes in the front to allow the sound out. I forgot to ask about the bass/ chord setup.
The front grill is simplified, flat no longer curved and removable from the front as opposed to unscrewing it from the inside. It too has fretwork on the sides to allow sound out.
The responsiveness and dynamic range were excellent, playable with the lightest of touches but pump it and it shouts.
All in all, a thing of beauty!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2017, 01:55:22 PM »

The responsiveness and dynamic range were excellent, playable with the lightest of touches but pump it and it shouts.

Especially in walnut with black buttons wouldn't you say?  ;D

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »

Zackly!
Even took off my waistcoat and tails when offered a quick squeeze!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

brianread

« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2017, 02:06:25 PM »

Especially in walnut with black buttons wouldn't you say?  ;D

picture?
Brian Read
A STREB!!,
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal