Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Oakwood  (Read 39275 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Oakwood
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2017, 02:37:40 PM »

Yes please Helena, then we've got Cherry, Maple and hopefully Walnut to drool over!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2017, 03:02:25 PM »

Is anyone in a position to compare the Oakwood with the Cardin "English" model, as they seem to be aimed at the same market and priced in the same £3k+ bracket for a three voice box? As you can get a new Tommy for around £2,200 that does not seem the right comparison.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2017, 04:39:45 PM »

Lilly's have even fewer bass chord reeds than that Steve!  4 in total per bass/chord pair.  Two tonic, onecthird, one fifth. Tommys may have an additional high tonic.
Yes I know. I thought that's what I was describing! See attached diagram.
I've never seen a Tommy with an additional high tonic though. Perhaps on the very earliest models?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2017, 05:17:46 PM »

Oh I see what you meant.  It was the word additionally that threw me. Thought you meant an additional reed. I must read more carefully!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2017, 05:23:07 PM »

Yes please Helena, then we've got Cherry, Maple and hopefully Walnut to drool over!
Q

Mine is / will be also in Walnut, not sure about the buttons. Not got it yet, am waiting for the call!
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

robotmay

« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2017, 05:42:48 PM »

Is anyone in a position to compare the Oakwood with the Cardin "English" model, as they seem to be aimed at the same market and priced in the same £3k+ bracket for a three voice box? As you can get a new Tommy for around £2,200 that does not seem the right comparison.

I've had a go on the Cairdin, if the one you're referencing is the box the Black Diamond guys have on offer. But I've only played the two voice Oakwood, unfortunately.

The Cairdin is very solid, and quite heavy. It feels really good, however. The sound of the reeds is a bit harsher than what I like, and I found I preferred it in its 2 voice setting, but it is indeed a very nice instrument. I'll see if I can snag a go on a three voice Oakwood sometime this year to see if I can compare them better :D

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2017, 07:22:17 PM »

I tried the Cairdin a couple of years back when first brought to Sidmouth.
Tastes are very personal things but I really didn't like it, to me it felt a bit clunky, the buttons a bit plasticky and no where near as light a touch as the Oakwood.

The 3 voice Oakwood is just a little bit air hungry, as is my Tommy when I pull the stop to bring in the low reed. Anything with smaller bellows will be similar if trying to work a low reed. The 2 voice felt just great.
But other opinions may differ.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2017, 09:13:47 PM »

The responsiveness and dynamic range were excellent, playable with the lightest of touches but pump it and it shouts.
All in all, a thing of beauty!

Especially in walnut with black buttons wouldn't you say?  ;D

picture?

Funnily enough apart from some arty grille shots the only photos I have of it are photos from Sidmouth Sunday:  https://www.facebook.com/harrytaylorsmen/photos/a.1470939726558806.1073741826.1470785613240884/1866774380308670/?type=1&theatre

Not the best melodeon photo in the world but it gives you an idea.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2017, 09:58:24 AM »

Any chance of a Soundcloud tune sometime?
Being really cheeky but want to remind myself what I sounds like, in comparison to my Tommy.
yours in hope!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2017, 10:58:46 AM »

Just had an exchange of email with Alyson, Martyn is off to Italy today, then to Towersey, so it looks like my Oakwood (and I guess the others) will not appear until mid Sept.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:03:15 PM by brianread »
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2017, 01:53:48 PM »

The original small Oakwoods did have feeble bass ends, particularly prone to choking and pulling flat when played hard.

After the design improvements I suggested to Martyn when he made mine (including 3 reed chords) this problem went away -- this became the Model 4 (23 treble 8 bass 2 voice).

I await with interest the chance to try the new Oakwood, to see if there's finally a box I prefer to mine ;-)

I initially had a long chat with Squeezy and we discussed the new boxes and those in the pipeline.
Martyn has some very innovative ideas for the 2.5 row and it sounds like he is now taking time out to develope those in order to build them into the new 2.5 row.
The 2 rows being a more traditional build, with modifications to improve the original model especially with respect to the originals weak basses. The new one has a good bass end!
As I understand it, orders are being taken for the 2 rows, but a new batch won't be started work on until the New Year.

Yes the Maple one was really a good looker, so if anyone's passing grab a picture for this thread!
Cheers
Q
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:50:13 PM by IanD »
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2017, 02:02:09 PM »

What I'd like to know is how the new Oakwood's differ in responsiveness and sound to the Oakwood-Baffetti Supers.
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2017, 02:20:11 PM »

What I'd like to know is how the new Oakwood's differ in responsiveness and sound to the Oakwood-Baffetti Supers.
I preferred the tone of the Super's treble (not just a tuning difference), and its  classic Baffetti bass sound was pleasingly "more obvious". The Oakwood's treble action was superbly feather light, the Super's slightly firmer.
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2017, 02:24:09 PM »

I preferred the tone of the Super's treble (not just a tuning difference), and its  classic Baffetti bass sound was pleasingly "more obvious". The Oakwood's treble action was superbly feather light, the Super's slightly firmer.

I played the new Oakwood prototype last November at Witney and my feelings about it are pretty much contrary to Sandy's!
I liked the new Oakwood's full but round sound; I've always found the DB Oakwood super boxes to be too shrill and shouty.
Agree that the new Oakwood action was very good indeed.

Yer pays yer money (oh yes! :Ph ) and takes yer choice.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2017, 11:11:14 PM »

Has there been any news on the 2.5 row model from those who've been lucky enough to get to try the 2 rows, or talked to Martyn?

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2017, 12:00:56 AM »

Hi Guy,

The 2.5 is honouring Oakwood tradition in taking longer than anticipated to appear!  My prototype signature model is going to be quite different from the regular Oakwood models in that it will have a flat keyboard of wooden construction, open with no grille, and the first set of reeds to trial in it will be Dix reeds.  I don't anticipate a playing prototype before the end of the summer.

Cheers

John
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2017, 12:06:48 AM »

I played the new Oakwood prototype last November at Witney and my feelings about it are pretty much contrary to Sandy's!
I liked the new Oakwood's full but round sound; I've always found the DB Oakwood super boxes to be too shrill and shouty.
Agree that the new Oakwood action was very good indeed.

Yer pays yer money (oh yes! :Ph ) and takes yer choice.

Are you sure that's the Dino Oakwood Super you're talking about Steve, and not the Bincis (supers are walnut finish - bincis are cherry)?  Bincis are really what I'd call shouty ... but the supers are far more polite and refined.  If anything the new Oakwoods sit somewhere in between the two to my ear albeit with a far more responsive action.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2017, 12:12:18 AM »

Are you sure that's the Dino Oakwood Super you're talking about Steve, and not the Bincis (supers are walnut finish - bincis are cherry)?  Bincis are really what I'd call shouty ...
Aha! Yes, you are right. I was thinking of the Bincis for shoutiness. I agree that the walnut Supers are mellower. Apologies for the confusion!  :|bl
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2017, 12:33:52 PM »

Hi Guy,

The 2.5 is honouring Oakwood tradition in taking longer than anticipated to appear!  My prototype signature model is going to be quite different from the regular Oakwood models in that it will have a flat keyboard of wooden construction, open with no grille, and the first set of reeds to trial in it will be Dix reeds.  I don't anticipate a playing prototype before the end of the summer.

Cheers

John

Thanks John, that's really helpful. I can't wait! I was never good at delayed gratification....

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

dave t

• Good talker
  • DB Oakwood Super III/Pastourelle II
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2017, 03:27:48 PM »

Hi Guy,

Cheers

John

John, are you able to give us any more info at this stage? Specifically, I'm curious as to the number of buttons on the main rows (presumably 21 or 23) and half row.

Thanks, Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal