Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Oakwood  (Read 39292 times)

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
Re: Oakwood
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2017, 11:40:39 PM »

Yes Dave ... it's going to be a 23+6 layout.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2017, 05:13:41 PM »

Please will you name it the 'Oakwood Delilah' ?  (:)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2017, 05:21:54 PM »

Why? (etc) :|bl
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2017, 07:03:35 PM »

Sounds very interesting (apart from the suggested name...!) Voices ...number of basses ?
Now what I need is a rich benefactor...or a pay as you play scheme...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2017, 10:46:17 AM »

My new avatar says it all, I'll try to do a recording in the next week or so, once I feel a bit more in charge of it!
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »

May I ask how much they are, please? Accordions are not even mentioned on the web site, though Carole never really liked them 😉

Happy with my VanderAa. Sold the Oakwood to a good home 5 years ago.
  _       _    _      _ 

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2017, 02:25:27 PM »

May I ask how much they are, please? Accordions are not even mentioned on the web site, though Carole never really liked them 😉

Happy with my VanderAa. Sold the Oakwood to a good home 5 years ago.

https://squeezeboxes.co.uk/collections/melodeon
Brian Read
A STREB!!,
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2017, 02:48:26 PM »

Regarding cost, earlier in the thread, this was posted:

The price of £2,800 was mentioned as a standard price (the first pre-orders got a discount).
Hopefully someone else can say how to contact Martyn.

So, given its been like a year, with euro fluctuations and reed costs, maybe that figure has changed but I think it's the right ballpark. A mere ~£500 more than the DB 'super'. The three voice was another ~500 more, much like the price jump with the bincis from 2 to 3.

For now, due to wording on the https://squeezeboxes.co.uk/pages/oakwood-boxes page, I'd say if you're curious, emailing the squeezeboxes people is the thing to do really, instead of going via the oakwood instruments page. Should get you the most up to date information on what might be possible and when. I think both methods would reach them though, but clearly they're not presenting these boxes as easily buyable. I think it's all still a bit experimental and in high demand, so as with anyone else making these top draw instruments, expect a wait!

My new avatar says it all, I'll try to do a recording in the next week or so, once I feel a bit more in charge of it!

Congrats on getting your box brainread, looking forward to your video! Just make sure to flip it horizontally so none of us get confused about the lefty mod!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:50:38 PM by Gena Crisman »

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2017, 05:58:14 PM »

First blog post on my Oakwood

Some Say the Devil's Dead

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2017, 06:05:45 PM »

At last, a recording of the new Oakwood! Thank you Lester.

I assume (hope) you had the low bass reed stopped - I look forward to a recording with the full bass sound.

I know the tune as "Love will you marry me" as I heard an Irish singer sing that many decades ago.
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2017, 06:48:55 PM »

At last, a recording of the new Oakwood! Thank you Lester.

I assume (hope) you had the low bass reed stopped - I look forward to a recording with the full bass sound.

I know the tune as "Love will you marry me" as I heard an Irish singer sing that many decades ago.

Yep no low bass or thirds

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2017, 11:01:18 AM »

I've been playing Oakwood #1 for morris quite extensively recently.  Given a few months to play it in followed by a tootle up here and there and I think it will be a beautiful beast.  Time to let the Binci go I think  ;)
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

brianread

« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »

I've been using mine for sessions and also at Mel's advanced workshop on Sunday. It has received a lot of interest and compliments.

As Helena says it'll take a while for the reeds to settle down and mellow.

It has fantastic edge and potential loudness, the latter is a bit out of control but is getting better (both me and the instrument) .  I love the basses.

I played the Jilly again on Sunday it also has a lot of responsiveness on the right hand (my left that is!) but in a slightly less dynamic way!

PS I am hoping to get a recording out in the next few days...
Brian Read
A STREB!!,

george garside

« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »

Lesters bass minus 3rds and low reeds sounds spot on to me!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

brianread

« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2017, 12:14:12 PM »

Here's a couple of recordings of the new box:

https://soundcloud.com/brianread/sets/new-oakwood
Brian Read
A STREB!!,

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »

Thanks Brian, those reeds like Lester's sound crisp with a bite to them.
Very nice chaps!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2017, 05:56:20 AM »

Here's a couple of recordings of the new box:

https://soundcloud.com/brianread/sets/new-oakwood

Yes, thank you for sharing these recordings!

I recently went on holiday to York and nipped over to Leeds for an afternoon to visit the Oakwood Workshop. Amongst many stringed instruments, I saw the 2 voice boxes that were still being worked on all lined up, waiting for their turn, and had a really lovely time. The 2 voice demonstration box has apparently given up its reeds for a greater purpose, however the 3 voice demonstration box is still going, and that was what I was really going there for anyway.

I actually had a little bit of trouble playing it, I think as one strap was a bit too large for me and wasn't easily adjustable. I thought it wouldn't make a big difference, but it left me kind of holding onto the box a bit too tightly and, eventually I realised, rather unexpectedly running the air button slightly open the whole time, rendering the same box that I thought played like a dream a couple of months ago quite the little bear. Once I realised what was going on, things were a lot smoother.

I think ultimately we were there like 3 hours! Had a really nice time and chatted with Martyn quite a bit about boxes, as well as mandolins and the many other stringed instruments which inhabit the place & the finer points of their design and his work in the industry - of particular note, there was a beautiful GDAE strung Tenor Guitar there. I also had a go on a new DB Carnival 3, and much preferred it over the Black Pearl 3 I tried in Sidmouth - it felt much more familiar under my fingers. I'm pretty sure that that would be the direction I would be going if I hadn't gone a bit loopy, in that I'm fairly certain I'm going to stake my box playing future on one of these new Oakwood 3 voices.

For those who have been following the 3vOakwood Saga, I've been left with the impression that the run of 3 voice boxes will most likely see some minor alterations Martyn was considering (just making them that slight bit bigger, and adjusting the reed set to be a bit less air hungry) when it comes their turn, and the optional back-of-keyboard mechanism for switching the L reeds in/out is now, in principal, designed and prototyped.

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2018, 03:46:51 PM »

Is there an Oakwood melodeon presence at Sidmouth this year? If so, any word of when they might do a second batch of the 2-voice model?
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2018, 03:55:42 PM »

They are here and have a couple of new 2 voice boxes to demonstrate a slightly revised design with carved sections instead of inlay. I guess I can ask what their plans are, and will let you know.

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2018, 05:39:34 PM »

Any of the 3 voice there and what do you think of them now? Supposed to pick up one at Towersey, so wondering what I'm in for.
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal