Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D/C# Project _ looking for low D/G reeds  (Read 2233 times)

Robin

• Good talker
D/C# Project _ looking for low D/G reeds
« on: October 28, 2016, 09:03:25 AM »

Hi

I'm working on a D/C# melodeon project: I bought an old (but lovely) 2 row black Hohner on Ebay (Germany).

I have the reeds I need (but 1) for the D row. But I'm looking for the ones for the C# row and for 3 of the basses/chords.
I'd really prefer to use original Hohner reeds rather than italian ones (as a tuner suggested).
I've measured the original C/F reeds and reed blocks and either "H" or "T" Hohner reeds would work.

Does anyone have Hohner reeds in C# they'd be ready to part with by any chance?

Here is the layout for the instrument. The missing reeds are in red.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Robin
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:09:48 AM by Robin »

invadm

Re: C# reeds
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 11:55:38 AM »

I have an extra C# treble and and bass Hohner reeds as set, PM me if any good to you.

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 07:19:10 PM »

I also have a set of C# Treble Hohner "H" Reeds, if you need them, P.M me. I may also have the Bass set as well. They will all require Cleaning and Re valving/Waxing.
Your more than welcome to them, in return for an appropriate donation to Melnet funds.

P.S.. do you mean C#/D rather than D/C#  ie.the inner row is "D" or are you deliberately inverting them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:25:05 PM by Henry Piper »
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

deltasalmon

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 10:31:28 PM »

The image he attached has the D row as the longer row so I'm assuming it's the Irish-American D/C# system
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

pgroff

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 01:09:57 AM »

I assumed the same as deltasalmon. That's a very smart version of a D/C# layout by the way, & I'd find it very usable, even if it's not a common traditional D/C# layout.  I like the low D/G button on the D row. I also like the bass layout, particularly if some of the "chords" have the middle note removed - just a fifth interval (especially the E, A, and B chords).

Most of the traditional D/C# boxes had fewer melody keys, and often fewer basses (2 or 4 buttons), and often more than 3 voices. But for a Hohner body, I think Robin's ideas are just about perfect for the music I play.

You'll often find spare Hohner C# row reeds available from C/C# boxes in the UK that have been converted to quint tuning.

Good luck with that project!

Robin

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 07:50:01 AM »

P.S.. do you mean C#/D rather than D/C#  ie.the inner row is "D" or are you deliberately inverting them.

The image he attached has the D row as the longer row so I'm assuming it's the Irish-American D/C# system

I did mean D/C#  (:)

I assumed the same as deltasalmon. That's a very smart version of a D/C# layout by the way, & I'd find it very usable, even if it's not a common traditional D/C# layout.  I like the low D/G button on the D row. I also like the bass layout, particularly if some of the "chords" have the middle note removed - just a fifth interval (especially the E, A, and B chords).

Most of the traditional D/C# boxes had fewer melody keys, and often fewer basses (2 or 4 buttons), and often more than 3 voices. But for a Hohner body, I think Robin's ideas are just about perfect for the music I play.

You'll often find spare Hohner C# row reeds available from C/C# boxes in the UK that have been converted to quint tuning.

Good luck with that project!

Thanks for that!
I thought about the layout I wanted for a little while.
This one should enable me to play in A, D, G, Dm, Am, Em & Bm (as long as I don't need and F#) with chord accompaniment.

I like the low D/G button on the D row too. I hope I'll find suitable Hohner reeds...

Of course the idea of a 3 voice box is very tempting (with a few extra basses maybe)...
But as a first attempt to play the D/C# system, this project seemed like a more reasonable solution.  ;)

Robin

• Good talker
Re: D/C# _ looking for low D/G reeds
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 08:09:26 AM »

Hi there,

Found all the reeds in need for the C# row!  (:)

But I'm still looking for a couple of low (preferably Hohner) D/G reeds (cf. layout).
Has anybody spare ones?

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 09:04:29 AM by Robin »

pgroff

Re: D/C# Project _ looking for low D/G reeds
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 10:08:09 AM »

Hi Robin,

If you want D/G Hohner reeds to match the ones you have so far, your easiest solution might be to start with either

E/G reeds from the #1 button of a C row that has "low notes rather than accidentals"

or

D/F# reeds from the #2 button of a low G row.

In the former case, you can drop the press E notes down to D with solder at the tips.
In the second case, you can tune up the draw F# notes to G.

PG

Mike Averill

• suffering from MAD
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 08:53:31 PM »

I converted a red black dot to that keyboard config. Works well. I still have a B/F# Bass rather than B/C though; may have to think what that would offer.
Hohner - 1 row 4 stop C and G, pokerwork DG, DoubleRay DC#, Corso CC#, Corona III ADG, CLUB X CF, Elysium II CF
Saltarelle 1 row 4 stop D, Castagnari Giordy DG, Sander DG
Sonola CC#, Walters DC#

pgroff

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 09:00:40 PM »

Mike,

F# (press) and B (draw) is a usefull pair of Basses for a D-row box, and F#/B(m) is not uncommon in C#/D or A/D systems.  Nice for tunes in B minor, the relative minor of the tonic key of D, and for some other kinds of harmonies and modulations.

B (press) and C (draw) does have some advantages though. Just to mention a few:

The press B can be useful on E minor tunes, which are very handy on a D/C#, especially since Robin's layout has an E bass and chord (no third) on the draw.

The C draw is great for tunes in G major or D mixolydian or A minor (etc).]

PG

Robin

• Good talker
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 08:33:58 AM »

Hi Robin,

If you want D/G Hohner reeds to match the ones you have so far, your easiest solution might be to start with either

E/G reeds from the #1 button of a C row that has "low notes rather than accidentals"

or

D/F# reeds from the #2 button of a low G row.

In the former case, you can drop the press E notes down to D with solder at the tips.
In the second case, you can tune up the draw F# notes to G.

PG

Thanks for the suggestions Paul!
I reckon the D/F# solution would be easier... How difficult is it to add solder to a reed?

I converted a red black dot to that keyboard config. Works well. I still have a B/F# Bass rather than B/C though; may have to think what that would offer.

Hello Mike,

I did consider having an F#. But having a C seemed more important to me in this case.

As Paul said:

B (press) and C (draw) does have some advantages though. Just to mention a few:

The press B can be useful on E minor tunes, which are very handy on a D/C#, especially since Robin's layout has an E bass and chord (no third) on the draw.

The C draw is great for tunes in G major or D mixolydian or A minor (etc).]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal