Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: When to Push / Pull  (Read 24616 times)

vof

• Regular debater
Re: When to Push / Pull
« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2016, 07:29:43 PM »

Seriously, though - what format is the original document in - as it would save me starting from scratch (can't edit the pdf)?

The PDF was created by OpenOffice Writer which is a free word processor program very similar to Microsoft Word. It looks like Jack has just created a table in Writer then output it it as a PDF file rather than a .doc file (or a .odt file which is the native file format of OpenOffice). If Jack posts the .doc version of his file, you could edit it with Word or Writer. If he posts a .odt version, you probably need to use Writer or the same program from the later (and usually considered better) version of this software package called LibreOffice.

Vince
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

911377brian

« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2016, 07:47:24 PM »

Edward, I feel your pain. There are five 114's on the shelf above my head and if I hadn't labelled them in their home keys I'd have no idea what key I was playing in. :-[

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2016, 10:13:36 PM »

Seriously, though - what format is the original document in - as it would save me starting from scratch (can't edit the pdf)?

The PDF was created by OpenOffice Writer which is a free word processor program very similar to Microsoft Word. It looks like Jack has just created a table in Writer then output it it as a PDF file rather than a .doc file (or a .odt file which is the native file format of OpenOffice). If Jack posts the .doc version of his file, you could edit it with Word or Writer. If he posts a .odt version, you probably need to use Writer or the same program from the later (and usually considered better) version of this software package called LibreOffice.

Vince

The forum doesn't permit attachment of word processor documents such as in MS Word, or open office.  Has to be pdf or txt or jpg or similar. I presume it's the same for PMs, though havent tried.
So if you really want to use my humble tune table format, send me a PM with your email address and I'll do an ordinary  open office attachement, which is compatible with Word.  Thanks for interest.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2016, 11:07:05 PM »

Thanks, Jack. PM sent
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2016, 11:11:48 AM »

Vince

Actually, not correct. It's perfectly possible to edit a PDF file; as long as it's not one made up of image files of course. After all, PDF (Portable Document Format) is simply another document format. The ones created by OpenOffice stick with the ISO standards and not use proprietary extensions.

This particular PDF opens up fine with LibreOffice (the effective successor to OpenOffice) and is editable as I would have expected.

PS. OpenOffice is history, it was essentially killed as a project by the actions of the Oracle company when it took over Sun. Fortunately, since it is free (as in free speech) software, the code and the developers continued under a new name and created "The Document Foundation" to run the project. The best advice is to drop it and move to LibreOffice.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:17:03 AM by Andrew Wigglesworth »

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #165 on: December 01, 2016, 03:49:26 PM »

PS. OpenOffice is history, it was essentially killed as a project by the actions of the Oracle company when it took over Sun.

Not quite. Oracle later handed it to the Apache foundation who are still developing it. It's way behind LibreOffice in new features, but I've read recently that it's rather more stable and bug-free than LibreOffice and some people prefer it.
I'm still a LibreOffice user, though.

Apologies, we digress. Better continue by PM if anyone wants the full half-hour argument...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 08:31:43 AM by Anahata »
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2016, 04:16:30 PM »

I make it nearly 22 hours without mention of the word melodeon.

Theo - are you feeling OK?  ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

stevejay

« Reply #167 on: December 01, 2016, 11:44:40 PM »

XODO from Microsoft is a free app that will edit PDFS.

It is free as much as I can tell. I just tried it, and it works.

Acrobat is  $$$$, I prefer free.

playandteach

« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2016, 02:50:34 PM »

One row practice going well. Trying to work up the outside rows on both G/C and D/G boxes (as those are the untampered with rows). and deciding to try to read on both boxes - no basses yet.
What is surprising is that I have to work just as hard to get bounce into the playing - it doesn't come with the bellows reversals automatically. In fact the places where I feel it is needed are often in the same direction, therefore no bellows reversal to help.
Trying to keep some cross row playing at the same time, and hang on to my job and family. Steve Freereeder would be proud of his temporary student.

george garside

« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2016, 04:11:40 PM »

What is surprising is that I have to work just as hard to get bounce into the playing - it doesn't come with the bellows reversals automatically. In fact the places where I feel it is needed are often in the same direction, therefore no bellows reversal to help.

a degree of 'bounce'    can be provided by rapid bellows reversals  but that is only a part of it and is of course also the 'part' that is unique to diatonic push/pull playing coming more or less free of charge!

Many other factors can add to or detract from the mythical 'bounce'.  The way the buttons are pressed and more importantly released  ,  playing 'long and short notes'' i.e. clipping a midge off a note and/ or adding a midge to another note ( a midge being an amount smaller than can be shown by a 'rest' on a sheet of dots) eg a bar with say 4 identical notes can be sometimes improved by not playing them precisely the same whilst maintain the overall timing of the bar.

using the bellows to 'pulse' an extra layout of rhythm when going in the same direction for several notes, instead of a steady push or pull can make a big difference to the bounce but should not be confused with 'bellows shake loved by some piano box players.

The most important factor in achieving good 'bounce' is to listen carefully and analytically to the sound you are creating so that you can make creative adjustments on the hoof - probably easier if playing by ear rather than trying to play what some other bugger has inscribed on a piece  of paper!

george ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

playandteach

« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2016, 04:34:14 PM »

All true. Style is almost the last tool to arrive.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal