Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Just found an Android abc app.  (Read 6137 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Just found an Android abc app.
« on: November 16, 2016, 06:55:59 PM »

Dear all,
Nosing around my new android mobile phone, I opened up Google's Playstore and typed in 'abc notation'
A new app has been added, currently with only about 500 downloads, called 'Tradmusician'
I've just downloaded it, logged onto Dropbox and have some tunes transferred into the app.
It plays a midi file and shows the music dots too.
It possibly has other features that I haven't explored ( after using it for only a few minutes!)
Essentially, I only need something as a memory jogger that can remind me of the tune being learnt at the time if at work or somewhere away from the home PC.
This looks like it'll do the job for me.

Thought I'd share with the forum
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Just found an Android abc app.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 06:59:06 PM »

I've been using it for a couple of years, really good app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nodeslight.tradmusician2&hl=en_GB

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 07:24:40 PM »

Ah, there was me thinking it was new!
Anyway, good to know someone else has found it and has been using beyond my initial setup.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

deltasalmon

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 07:33:07 PM »

I use this too. I like it over Tunepal because you can write and edit the tunes right through the app.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 10:54:56 PM »

I use this too. I like it over Tunepal because you can write and edit the tunes right through the app.
Me too. It's probably the best ABC app for Android. It's been discussed a few times recently on the ABC child board here. The author responded quickly to my recent bug report (and fixed it within 48 hours).  Vince
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 06:18:15 AM »

I've been using this application for about 6 months now. It's very good, but I've been
unable to get the editing function to work. I'd be grateful if you could give a hint as to
how to use this feature.

Thank you.

Roger
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 07:23:21 AM »

I did wonder if I should put this topic in the abc section of the forum, but then thought it might be more useful if a wider audience learned about it.

Roger - I'm sorry I've not tried to edit with it. As said, for me it's a memory jogger , I'd edit or make changes at home with the pc using abc explorer. Others here might be able to help.
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

deltasalmon

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 11:01:21 AM »

I'd be grateful if you could give a hint as to
how to use this feature.

If you click on a tune so where the ABC is displayed on the screen, there is a pencil icon in the top right. Push that and it will go into edit mode. After you make a change there is a floppy disk* icon. Push that and it will save and go back to the ABC view screen.

*I don't know why they still use that icon to save when people 20 years old or younger have never seen one...
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 11:28:05 AM »

If you click on a tune so where the ABC is displayed on the screen, there is a pencil icon in the top right. Push that and it will go into edit mode. After you make a change there is a floppy disk* icon. Push that and it will save and go back to the ABC view screen.

*I don't know why they still use that icon to save when people 20 years old or younger have never seen one...

Thank you.That's what I thought, but clicking on the pencil icon has no effect
whatsoever on my Asus 7 tablet. Yah-Boo-Sucks!

Perhaps I will re-install (or better, install on another tablet).

It's not a major problem - like other posters, for me it's an aide-memoire, and I do
most of my ABC code processing on the PC using EasyABC or ABCexplorer.

Thanks for the input.

Roger

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 06:44:34 PM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Nick Ray

• Good talker
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 02:07:21 PM »

I love this app!
Been using it since I started playing for Morris and it's great to have the tunes on hand (so to speak). Particularly as I can never remember tune names and need the first bar to remind me how it goes (:).
It generally works well and for me the edit is fine. You can search for tunes on the interweb and download. Fab.
Tempo slider is a bit wayward.....

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 10:47:44 PM »

I have loaded this app onto my phone, but I'm confused as to how to use it. It seems to lack sort of help file or tutorial  (other than for The Session).  Am I missing something?

Nick Ray

• Good talker
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 11:48:21 PM »

I have loaded this app onto my phone, but I'm confused as to how to use it. It seems to lack sort of help file or tutorial  (other than for The Session).  Am I missing something?

Decide where you are going to store your .abc files. I've created a folder on my sd card /music/abc. In the app press the menu button top left (three bars slightly obscured) and scroll down to 'settings'. Scroll down to 'root folder' and press and search for your abc folder. OK, now go back to menu and scroll to 'websearch'. Type in, say, 'bear dance' and press the magnify glass. Select from the offered list and you'll be presented with a screen to play that tune and showing the abc text below. If you're happy you've got the right tune then press the download icon (cloud with arrow). The text file will be downloaded to your root folder. Go to the menu again and select 'library'. Your tunes should be listed. You can add your own .abc files into the root folder and the app should index them into your 'library' list.
Hopefully that should get you started (phew 😊).
Good luck!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 08:15:02 AM »

I hold my abc files in Dropbox, and keep an up to date copy there.
I loaded this app and went to Dropbox and opened the file from there. Now when opening the app, the file sits there ready for me to use.

I've been trying a new tune that a friend has put into abc's from a book, and checked a note in a triplet run against the original manuscript. I found it wasn't right, so went into this app and found it quite easy to amend the note to what it should be - so editing something simple is easy!
cheers
Q

Thrupenny Bit

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 10:35:24 PM »

Thanks for hits and  tips. Very useful but app would benefit from a proper help file and user manual. Seems to me that many apps are lacking in instructions. Programmers seem to assume everybody has their expertise and that hidden features are obvious!

Nick Ray

• Good talker
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 01:56:37 PM »

I've found the developer Nicolas Jouve is very responsive and helpful to queries and suggestions and speaks good English. Drop him an email and help improve it....

Elledeepee

• Good talker
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 12:11:23 AM »

Thanks for hits and  tips. Very useful but app would benefit from a proper help file and user manual. Seems to me that many apps are lacking in instructions. Programmers seem to assume everybody has their expertise and that hidden features are obvious!

The developer is amazingly responsive. I had a query regarding the storage location and he opened a live chat within minutes and resolved the problem.
Morris dancer, flute and whistle player and improving player. Castagnari Rik, Excelsior Bilbo

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 02:51:03 PM »

I've been wondering what app to get for my new phone, looks like this is the one. Do all the tunes have to go into one huge file, and if so how big can that file be? I'll install it, but only after I've worked out how to answer the phone and read messages  ::)

deltasalmon

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 03:17:18 PM »

When you open the app the first question is what file to open and it will list the most recently opened abc files, so not everything has to be from the same file. I would be surprised if there were major limits on the size of abc file because even those with hundreds of tunes usually are only a few kb in size but I really haven't tested that so I don't know for certain.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »

I keep copies of the latest files in Dropbox, so I can use the tunes on my iPad.
I've therefore used the same process on my phone - Got Dropbox loaded up, and can see al my abc files.
An option on the abc phone app page is to obtain file from another app.
I use this to navigate to Dropbox and choose the file with the tunes I'm looking at to open in the app.
Now every time I open the phone app, the file is there waiting for me.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 12:11:51 AM »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal