Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BCC# Old Rugged Cross & Air issue?  (Read 2739 times)

HallelujahAl

BCC# Old Rugged Cross & Air issue?
« on: July 04, 2009, 09:54:31 AM »

Hi - could anyone advise on the best way to approach playing this tune as whichever fingering I use I'm running out of air - so that instead of finishing the tune on strong note (as it should be), I'm gasping to the end.
Thanks for help in advance!
AL
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 11:23:58 AM by HallelujahAl »

george garside

Re: BCC# Old Rugged Cross & Air issue?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 12:41:05 PM »

any particular key?

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 01:00:02 PM »

B-flat can be a challenge for B/C/C# since you've only got B-flat on the pull (twice, as it happens).  And this tune's got it's share of As and Ds which are also pull only.  So make a point of pushing the Cs and Fs whenever you can.  At the end of the first line you've got no choice but to play the last two notes pull pull with out a change of direction to emphasise the cadence.  But piano accordionists can do it and so can you.  Just concentrate on using your playing to add expression instead of relying on bellows changes to do it for you.  Good luck.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »

Yes Bb George - have a look at the pdf attached to the message which just gives the chorus but I'm talking about the whole tune.
Thanks, AL

george garside

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 02:47:54 PM »

can only comment on the chorus as I hav.t played the tune before & don't have the dots. The primary thing to keep in mind when playing in either A or B flat is to try to keep the bellwos as close as possible as much of the time as possibleso that you have alaways got a bit of leaway when pulls are the only option.

Some handy 'pushes' in the chorus

bar 1 you could try the push Cs, bar 6 push Fs,  bar 10 push Eflats, bar 11 push Eflat, F & C.

try it using all these push notes and then try to reach a compromise between push/pull distribution that will keep the bellows in a reasonable position throughout the proceedings  without complicating the fingering & reversals unduly.

george

HallelujahAl

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 02:57:24 PM »

Thanks for this George - first time round it's ok - second and third time I'm losing control somewhere. Will keep practising.
AL

george garside

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 03:23:31 PM »

it could be that you are finishing end of tune with bellows furthur out each time so the progressive rot sets in !  Practice playing just once through untill you can finish with  the bellwos as near closed as possible  each & evry time  so you are in a good position to start all over again.

george

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »

Tried this this afternoon and didn't find a problem, whether using pull or push C. Eb, F were both pulls. What I did realise was, I was giving the air valve a good dunt (push) at the end of the second line and again at end of the fourth.

(This particular tune has significant melodeon memories for me. When I was no older than 6, a friend of my parents was at our house with his Hohner Double Ray, and "The Old Rugged Cross" was the tune he played. Sadly, he was killed in a tractor accident not long afterwards. Since that age, I wanted a Double Ray. Approx 60 years later I got one. Hadn't tried this tune before today, though. Do you have the dots for the verse?)

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 06:21:22 PM »

The air button is definetly a help when it comes to these things.  I'd also use the doubles more, so that each C you play is in a different direction.  Helps with air and sounds a bit more crisp too.  You should film it and let us see what you are doing.
Black Shand Morino

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 07:14:30 PM »

Good tune for subtle usage of a diminished chord in thefirst line of the verse, too.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 08:32:01 PM »

Hi and thanks for all advice. The dots for the verse as well as the chorus can be found here - I've posted it on my blog spot as it's too big a file for here.
Great to hear your story Bill - maybe I'll have cracked it by September and we'll have a blast at it at Graeme's workshop?
I'm still forgetting to use the air button. My PA influence I guess.
AL

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 10:34:33 PM »

Thanks, Al. I don't play much in flat keys, so that's a good addition to the repertoire. I look forward to playing it with you.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal