Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner 3-rows  (Read 2075 times)

deltasalmon

Hohner 3-rows
« on: November 23, 2016, 06:39:02 PM »

I was wondering about the differences between the different Hohner 3-row models. From what their website tells me:

The El Rey del Vallenato is 3 voice along with the Corona IIIs, but as far as the 2 voice boxes they all seem very similar.

The Corona II, Corona II classic, Compadre and Panther. The Panther seems to be only GCF and the Compadre only ADG and the Coronas can both be in a few keys.

What are the major differences between Corona II and Corona II Classic? Also, what is different between them and the Compadre and Panther?
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Hohner 3-rows
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »

I think Hohner have made things far too complicated with their three row models. I've only had my hands on one of the expensive versions and I though it a poor player.  It looked very nice though. The best Hohner 3 rows are the Coronas from pre 1980s, recognisable by the keyboard with red pearloid top.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

triskel

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 07:39:17 PM »

Hohner U.S.A. say the Corona II Classic is Made in Germany, but they're saying nothing about where the Corona II is made...  8)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 07:47:27 PM »

Or more particularly where the reeds are made.  All the Chinese made Hohner reeds I've tried have been dull things compared to the German made ones.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 07:48:50 PM »

Yes, I love my IIIR, in G/C/F, and have my eyes peeled for the same, in other keys.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Friendly advice
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 01:37:46 PM »

Sean: I want you to know that I started the accordion very shortly before our second child arrived. In the weeks leading up to the birth I was suddenly gripped by the idea that I had to take up the box - now! I ordered a Saltarelle from Jim Coogan in NY and the "Irish Bouëbe" came exactly a week before the real baby.

I think the term for this sort of phenomenon is "anxiety displacement".   :|glug

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 12:34:23 PM »

Hello,
I ordered Corona II classic red ADG last year from local dealer because it was only one made in Germany (not China) accordion.
Accordion arrived after five month, it was Corona II Classic ADG and made in Germany, but not red but "Mexico" (red-white-green). Dealers said that it was last one ADG made in Germany, because others "Corona II classic" now are made in China only (Hohner's page still says "Made in Germany).
Quality of accordion was terrible, so i was really happy - Mexico colors was reason to get money back (it was possible to order with 100% imprest only).
Now i am happy with hundred years old F/B/Es Hohner and pre-war G/C/F Meinel & Herold and still looking for old ADG accordion.
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 08:36:58 AM »

correction:
quality of Corona II classic, made in Germany was bad.
Terrible quality was of Corona III some others that were made in China.
The vendor said that lot of Hohner piano accordions are coming back because low quality.
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

deltasalmon

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 12:17:17 AM »

Thanks all. I was just curious about the differences between a few of their models. Aside from the key, it doesn't seem there is much

Andrius, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience and am glad you had a good reason to send it back (although I would have considered the "Mexico" style an added bonus!)

Stiamh, I doubt I'll have time to order anything before the second one arrives. It'll give me some time to think things over, again.

I'm interested in the ADG 3-row style but as with most other tunings I've tried, I should stop looking for excuses to play the perfectly good box that I already have  :||:

Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal