Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MuseScore  (Read 11258 times)

HallelujahAl

Re: MuseScore
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 02:20:12 PM »

Just a small point - but I get the option when saving files to save them as compressed MusicScore files - I've experienced one or two difficulties with this when re-opening the files so am simply saving the files as standard sized and formatted files which gives no bother whatsoever.
AL

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »

Bill, the version I have is Finale Notepad 2008 r1.  . . .
Thanks, Chris. That's the version I have. It was still free when I upgraded to that level. I only use it now to open files from a couple of pals who are still using Finale Notepad. I moved to Noteworthy (a paid-for programme) 2-3 years ago to get away from the limitations of Finale Notepad, and found it a major improvement. I get the impression, from its forum, that MuseScore has still a fair amount of development required, so don't feel moved to try it. I might feel differently if I hadn't already invested in Noteworthy (time and money).

Bill

Chris Brimley

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 09:06:55 AM »

I've now downloaded v 0.9.5 of MuseScore, which seems to have cured my previous probs, so thanks, but I did have a nasty crash when I tried to do too many things at once, and I had just finished transcribing a whole set of tunes.  Apparently no recovery opportunities, so I had to redo it all.

My chums are now trying to convert all their scores from Finale to MuseScore, using your excellent suggestion of MIDI, Bill.  It really is somewhat annoying that Finale appear to have quietly changed their rules, and blocked the previous free software from working with old files, but then I suppose that's what you have to expect with all free software.  I hope the same won't be true with MuseScore, but I accept that the other side of the argument is that you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth!

I don't think there is any way of converting the lyrics, text or format via midi, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has any fixes for that one?

Chris Brimley

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 09:18:53 AM »

I only use it now to open files from a couple of pals who are still using Finale Notepad.

Just a query, Bill, have you tried this recently, and does it still work?  My paid-for version seems to still open some old files at least, but my friend's free version has gone wrong - presumably some internal date limit?

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 03:51:41 PM »

I only use it now to open files from a couple of pals who are still using Finale Notepad.

Just a query, Bill, have you tried this recently, and does it still work?  My paid-for version seems to still open some old files at least, but my friend's free version has gone wrong - presumably some internal date limit?
Chris,
I haven't used it much of late. I have noticed that sometimes it says "This file was created with an earlier version. It will be opened as an Untitled file and converted to the new Finale Notepad format." I have to rename the file, but otherwise no problem. I'm not at a paid-for version, however (and won't be).

Mostly now, whoever writes something converts it to PDF for circulating round our group, so we're largely score programme independent. It's only if I wanted to make changes that I've requested the original Finale Notepad file.

Bill

JohnA

• Regular debater
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 11:15:41 PM »

TonyRussellDavis

• Tony Russell Davis (Black Sheep Tone/BLT)
  • Regular debater
  • Mandos'n'guitars'n'boxes'n'pipes'n'stuff.
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 08:51:16 AM »

I am finding MuseScore totally frustrating  >:(. It is clearly a powerful peice of software but the editing is so unintuitive that I wonder if the writer knew any musicians :-\. I still have the same difficulties that Chris originally posted and I'm beginning to think my copy has corrupted. Finale is fine, even notepad - but too simple. Sibelius works for me but is way too expensive, so I'm stuck with the frustration! Maybe, as a workaround, I'll hand-write and scan >:E. Tony.
Call if you're ever in North Yorkshire.

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 09:39:44 AM »

If you can find it, try Personal Composer - I still use a very old Windows 3 version for some stuff.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 09:48:21 AM »

I am finding MuseScore totally frustrating  . It is clearly a powerful peice of software but the editing is so unintuitive that I wonder if the writer knew any musicians . I still have the same difficulties that Chris originally posted and I'm beginning to think my copy has corrupted. Finale is fine, even notepad - but too simple. Sibelius works for me but is way too expensive, so I'm stuck with the frustration! Maybe, as a workaround, I'll hand-write and scan . Tony.

Hi Tony - I've not had too many problems with MuseScore - though at times it is a little unintuitive. There are certain keys things I've learned to do i.e. when note input is toggled off to be very careful what I fiddle around with etc. It is a work in progress and I think we're still in its fairly early stages. I'm no computer geek but it seems to serve me fine. What probs are you experiencing in particular?
AL

TonyRussellDavis

• Tony Russell Davis (Black Sheep Tone/BLT)
  • Regular debater
  • Mandos'n'guitars'n'boxes'n'pipes'n'stuff.
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2009, 01:42:05 PM »

I've given up on it. T. :(
Call if you're ever in North Yorkshire.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal