Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Giving in to MADness  (Read 4633 times)

Grape Ape

Giving in to MADness
« on: November 27, 2016, 07:17:18 PM »

Been trying to obtain one of these in good condition for some time now.  Got this at a good price from good old German ebay.  Now just please don't let it be CF!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Giving in to MADness
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:36:31 PM »

What key are you hoping for, as C/F would be my bet?

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 07:38:20 PM »

I think we were bidding against each other.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Grape Ape

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 08:02:11 PM »

No this one took no bids and had a very low buy it now option.  As for key, anything but CF is ideal.  I am happiest with GC, AD, and BbEb.  As good of shape as it appears to be in, even CF would be alright, but a bit squeeky on the high end for me, the trade off being the wonderful and esteemed Dminor bass/chord. 

Interestingly enough, the seller did not offer international shipping until I asked him.  Several comedic google translations later, I feel like we are old friends.

invadm

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 08:41:58 PM »

mine too   nice 3 voice pokerwork size box  (:)

Grape Ape

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 10:22:16 PM »

I have to say I have seen these in other keys as often as not.

Grape Ape

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 12:47:01 AM »

Can you confirm the three voice? I was under the impression only some of them are...

invadm

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 10:38:55 AM »

Can you confirm the three voice? I was under the impression only some of them are...
I had a few of this boxes and have seen a few around, with this shape/type of bass button they were all 3 voice but you never know you might get a 2 voice (:)   older 2 voice all had mushroom type bass button. 

Grape Ape

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 03:00:41 AM »

Invadm, Is a three voice MMM or LMM?  And if LMM does there tend to be a switch behind the grill?

triskel

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 07:28:18 AM »

Is a three voice MMM or LMM?  And if LMM does there tend to be a switch behind the grill?

Lovely box!

Always MMM with those small bass buttons, and never a switch - though there's a man that could maybe change that for you, if you'd rather...  ;)

(I've a large and permanent 4-voice LMMM C#/D Hohner, made about 1929-30, that I'm thinking of sending him to get a register added.)

Grape Ape

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 10:58:52 PM »

Arrived today and looks great!  Stamped AD which is just good luck!  Bellows have been replaced or recently retaped, as they look perfect. Haven't opened them for fear if I pick it up I will try to play it, but with the weather we've been having I think it best to let it sit a few hours as it arrived no doubt frozen solid.  Not too hard to date as it bas a sticker on it that says "Musikhaus Stricker Gorlitz, Adolf Hitler Str. 2."  Couldn't have been too long a spread where a street would have been named that.  Curiously, in addition to regular strap brackets, and a thumbstrap, it also has a RIGHT hand strap.  It is attached to the bottom of the keyboard and is easily detachable by pressing on a metal lever.  Doesn't look original, but still looks old- judging by the leather.   Can't wait to give it a go!!!

Grape Ape

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 11:26:20 PM »

The hand strap:

Grape Ape

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 11:50:06 PM »

Couldn't wait any longer.  At first listen, it sounds pretty good.  Could use a fettling, and some tuning, but all notes sound, and sound pretty good and close to in tune.  No rasping or buzzing notes, bellows are reasonably air tight and look to be the original though recently and nicely retaped.  Little air leakage from the gaskets, but overall good.  Basses are thick!  Sounds like MMM but haven't opened to confirm.  A bit heavier than a pokerwork, so I fully expect to see 3 reed blocks when I do.  Action seems already limited- don't know if they came the button travel limited or this was done by whover retaped the bellows.  Will have a look inside later this week.  This is shaping up to be one of my better buys! 

triskel

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 01:10:24 AM »

A bit heavier than a pokerwork, so I fully expect to see 3 reed blocks when I do.

The zinc reedplates make them noticeably heavier than ones that have aluminium ones too, but they really give a "zing" to the sound of these. Welcome to the 3515/3517 (two voice/three voice) owner's club!  ;)

Grape Ape

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 01:28:55 AM »

Definitely a three voice.  Still haven't opened it all the way up yet- too busy playing it- but did take the grill off.  Really happy with this one- in the right key- really is quite playable as is, and actually pretty much in tune.  Overall, any and all issues seem rather minor, especially for what I paid.

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 02:35:46 AM »

What a piece of history! Can you share a sound file?

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 08:58:16 PM »

I appear to have bought yet another Liliput. Scary or what?

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Grape Ape

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 10:31:53 PM »

So that was you! I was watching that one, but really want one in BbEB, as I already have a Preciosa in CF.  It does look to be in nice shape.  John, I have to say we only get to live once, and if a couple of hundred euro on German ebay makes us happy than more power to us!  I do tend to have a "collect them all" attitude when it comes to accordions, much to my wife's dismay and the bemusement of others.  I will be watching with impatience for another Rhinestone studded 3 coupler.  Hopefully
We can remain friends when one presents itself  >:E

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 09:02:02 AM »

Already owning one, does not seem to be a good reason for not buying another, as I already have, both a Liliput, and a Preciosa, in C/F. It's just that I like this later model Liliput with that grille style.
Buy now, think later, that's my motto ;)

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 12:09:06 PM »

Could you two let us all know when you are going on holiday? It would give other Melnet MAD sufferers a chance on Ebay.de  >:E

In other news, you have saved me quite a bit of money  ;D
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal