Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: bellows sizes  (Read 7284 times)

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
Re: bellows sizes
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2016, 12:36:26 PM »

Just realised I'm miles off topic . Mea Culpa. :o
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2016, 01:24:43 PM »

A broken vase, the bits that are missing are replaced with a bright white substance so the restoration can be shown. This would not be acceptable for a playing instrument.

Why?

In my world fixing up an instrument so it can be played is the end game.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2016, 01:45:21 PM »

Well, there are aesthetics and " aesthetics " I suppose. If you mean Lester why they use white, it is to show what was missing. Doesn't apply to instruments unless it was an ancient Egyptian banjo.  >:E
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

fishfeathersmacteeth

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2016, 01:53:04 PM »

having to push my bonneville (lucas electrics)

Joe Lucas - "Prince of Darkness"
...been here and gone...All the way from Luthermuir..Fiddle player, Harmonica wheezer and Melodeon wrestler

B/C Double-Ray Black Dot; Guidi 1-Row C; B/C Double-Ray Deluxe; Frontini B/C; Casali B/C/C# 48 Bass; Hohner Club II C/F and a bit

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2016, 02:33:11 PM »

Well, there are aesthetics and " aesthetics " I suppose. If you mean Lester why they use white, it is to show what was missing. Doesn't apply to instruments unless it was an ancient Egyptian banjo.  >:E

My 'Why' was reference 'This would not be acceptable for a playing instrument.'

diatonix

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2016, 03:04:27 PM »

A broken vase, the bits that are missing are replaced with a bright white substance so the restoration can be shown. This would not be acceptable for a playing instrument.

Maybe we melodeon repairers should consider adopting an ancient Japanese technique known as Kintsugi  (:)

Garry Probert

• Respected Sage
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2016, 04:10:47 PM »

It has been noted that Lucas components are possibly more prone to
electrical leakage than Bosch or generic Japanese electrics. Experts
point out that this is because Lucas is British and all things British
leak. British engines leak oil, shock absorbers, hydraulic forks and
disk brakes leak fluid, British tyres leak air and the British defense
establishment leaks secrets...so, naturally, British electrics leak
smoke.

My back arthritis is probably a combination of pushing the bike and the weight of pockets full of fuses lol the perfect example of form over function ,my kettle in spite of indifferent servicing 3rd stripped was bullet proof

I have built several ukuleles over the years ,bit of a passion but ceased building when the first Kiwaya handbuilt came in for a pickup, gotta love japanese workmanship attention to detail but most of all focusing on sound 

Japanese technique known as Kintsugi
I really like the concept of repairing but displaying .I tried to buy a gibson ub2 12 not 14 hook early 1926 ish it had great paper provenance,was carried on omaha beach by an american serviceman that was tragically killed on the landings and it was returned to his widow and was sold on to someone laughingly called a restorer

When i received the pictures looked as new ,the philistine had stripped revarnished re plated removing all the history patina age related wear everything that makes a vintage instrument vintage ........I did not buy it but found another with numerous scars marks aged related wear wonderful example,and one of my humble little collection of iconic vintage instruments

I have mahogany boards over well 100 years old "vintage" put them through the planer just well seasoned wood     

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2017, 10:54:27 AM »

Miguel Gramontain, a gifted young maker in Toulouse, posted this giraffe like piece of kit on his FB today. It reminded me of this thread (and others).   Yes, he is very long limbed.  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2017, 05:46:23 PM »

Getting back to bellows interchangeability , a lot of the Weltmeister bellows are interchangeable with Hohner boxes. Worth checking as the tape used is often better than the paper stuff Hohner uses sometimes.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

JimmyM

• Regular debater
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2017, 06:10:12 PM »

In my world fixing up an instrument so it can be played is the end game.

Absolutely! I quite like that some of my boxes are a bit tatty looking but a box that cant be played? Neither use nor ornament  (:)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal