Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Garvey TAM3  (Read 1611 times)

ButtonBox21

• Regular debater
Garvey TAM3
« on: November 28, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »

Hey all, I plan on getting back into playing Irish Accordion after the first of the year. I am curious about the new Garvey TAM3 button accordion as it is available at an attractive price. I know it is available in C#D which is what I played 3 years ago. Are these made in Italy and how is the quality and sound of the new ones. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks and have a blessed Holiday season. :||:
Keep on Squeezin'

triskel

Re: Garvey TAM3
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 03:25:24 PM »

I know they're made in China (though they've previously been described as Italian on this forum), but I've never seen, nor heard, one to comment on how they sound or play.

Edited to add: The new 3-voice Sherwood (available in G/C or B/C) appears to be in the same body as the Garvey TAM3, only with a much more attractive grille, and no ambiguity about where it is made.

However, the Sherwood has Cagnoni "durall reeds" instead of their "tipo a mano" ones like the TAM3 - but I think there's far too much emphasis being put on the grade of reed these days, that isn't necessarily reflected in the sound and response of the box. Whilst I'm no great fan of "TAM" reeds myself, preferring (less-expensive) "durall" or (more-expensive) full-blooded "a mano"... 

melodeon

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 08:04:01 PM »

"Whilst I'm no great fan of "TAM" reeds myself, preferring (less-expensive) "durall" or (more-expensive) full-blooded "a mano"..."

The world wants to know why?

I have played some excellent boxes with Durall reeds, 2 of my 233 deluxe Serenellinis come to mind.

FWIW

Gabbanelli America uses Cagnoni durall on many of their boxes and claim them to be TAM. They actually tell you they are hand made until you press them.. then they are tipo a mano.. even though they are durall.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:21:30 AM by melodeon »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 10:21:18 PM »

To add to the mix it should be understood that the various grades of reed vary from maker to maker and have also varied over time, so just because one box with type "x" reeds had a particular quality there is no guarantee that another box will be similar if it has type "x"  from a different maker.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal