Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C.Belini info?  (Read 1742 times)

Barry Tolson

• Good talker
C.Belini info?
« on: December 04, 2016, 12:00:40 AM »

Does anyone know anything about this box?  It is labeled "C.Belini", "accordeon" and also says "Made in Germany".
I find no model number nor any markings to indicate the key.  I am restoring it for a friend. His friend who recently died, left it to him.  So far, I've not been able to learn anything about this one.  Any thoughts?
Hohner Club IIB Victoria

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: C.Belini info?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 12:09:40 AM »

It looks just like thousands of other Klingenthalers. They have as many names as they had workers, or so it seems. This one looks very like my three voice, but probably with brass reeds on long plates.
They're all pretty much of a muchness, but can still be a lot of fun to play or mess about with.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Barry Tolson

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 12:19:58 AM »

While researching this, I have encountered many "lookalikes", so I suspected these may have been mass produced and marketed under many names.   
Hohner Club IIB Victoria

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 06:05:59 AM »

After having a better look at your picture, maybe the back of the fingerboard is detachable, a feature which I haven't noticed on the cheap boxes before. (But I haven't had the wide experience of others on here.)
Also the metal embellishments on the corners of the soundboard/fondo/whatever are very pretty and a bit different to the more usual squiggles of one pattern or another.

Barry Tolson

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 02:42:03 PM »

Mr. Jennings, The fingerboard, as well as the back of the fingerboard are detachable. So far, though, I've only removed the ends from the bellows...revealing the reeds of both sides. The bass reeds, as well as the small wood frames to which they are attached, need to be reattached.  Having had only piano accordeon experience, so far, I found the bass reeds and "spoons" to be quite unique and interesting. Here is an exterior picture of the bass side. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 02:44:35 PM by Barry Tolson »
Hohner Club IIB Victoria

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »

I believe the flat mounted reeds on the bass are the norm for these old melodeons, the spoons are also very common to this style of instrument. The treble end reeds in my old 3 voice are mounted with two rows on a standing block and the other flat, there not being the space for the three rows to mount flat. It seems that the consensus is that flat mounted reeds sound better/louder/something(?), but I don't pretend to know (or properly understand) anything other than what I've discovered by messing on with my own boxes, with help from several of the members on here, when I've become stuck or out of my depth! There are some highly skilled folk on Melnet who freely give of their advice, God bless 'em and long may they continue!

Barry Tolson

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 09:17:50 PM »

Mr. Jennings, It sounds like your box in configured like this one.  At least one of the bass reeds consists of 3 reeds very close together...with a very wide leather covered valve immediately adjacent to it...seemingly to operate them all as a chord.(???)   I've never seen anything quite like that on a piano accordion. Most pecular(in my experience!) 
Hohner Club IIB Victoria
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal