Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backing chord player  (Read 3899 times)

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
Backing chord player
« on: December 04, 2016, 06:13:08 PM »

I play a one row a lot so I obviously only have single base/chord combination accompaniment. When I play with other folks for Christmas parties at work I have guitar and sometimes keyboard players who play the chords. I would like to practice at home with chord accompaniment. Are there any Android apps/PC apps/online tools to help me with this? Paid or free recomendations.

Stephen
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:15:21 PM by syale »
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
Re: Backing chord player
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 06:56:58 PM »

I play a one row a lot so I obviously only have single base/chord combination accompaniment. When I play with other folks for Christmas parties at work I have guitar and sometimes keyboard players who play the chords. I would like to practice at home with chord accompaniment. Are there any Android apps/PC apps/online tools to help me with this? Paid or free recomendations.

Stephen

Do you have ABC scores for your tunes, and do the scores have chords? You can use EasyABC, and adjust the
'ABC Settings'/'Abc2midi' menu to turn the volume of the playback instrument to zero and the two chord playback
volume options to the maximum (127), and finally, tick the 'Play Chords'  box. Then if you play the tune back,
you will hear only the chords.

Is this anything like what you are looking for?

Roger

PS: I should have said that this is on a Windoze PC...

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:10:48 PM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Baron Collins-Hill

• Regular debater
  • Maine, USA
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 07:10:22 PM »

Not box specific, but I have made a bunch of play along tracks for tunes of various genres (mostly Irish and Old Time with some Quebecois and New England) at the following link:

https://mandolessons.bandcamp.com/

Not sure how many will be in your repertoire or interest, but if there are ones you want to learn you can learn them by ear or from the dots at my (also free) website www.mandolessons.com

Thanks,
Baron
D/G/Acc Castagnari Big 18 (full Dutch reversals)
Mandolin & Tenor Guitarist: Velocipede
Free Online Mandolin Lessons: MandoLessons

syale

• The Terrier
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 07:29:12 PM »

Do you have ABC scores for your tunes, and do the scores have chords? You can use EasyABC, and adjust the
'ABC Settings'/'Abc2midi' menu to turn the volume of the playback instrument to zero and the two chord playback
volume options to the maximum (127), and finally, tick the 'Play Chords'  box. Then if you play the tune back,
you will hear only the chords.

Is this anything like what you are looking for?

Roger

PS: I should have said that this is on a Windoze PC...

Thanks Roger

I have Easy ABC and the ABC files with chords. When I went to 'ABC Settings'/'Abc2midi' I only see a place to put the path to the binary file and not a menu item to adjust volume?

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 10:23:06 PM »

Stephen, you must have a really old version of easy abc! There doesn't seem to be any tabs on the dialogue box you've shown a picture of. See my screen shots.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

syale

• The Terrier
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 11:39:53 PM »

I am using 1.3.5 from http://www.nilsliberg.se/ksp/easyabc/ and still do not see the tabs you see. Using Windows 10.

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 12:04:45 AM »

I am using 1.3.5 from http://www.nilsliberg.se/ksp/easyabc/ and still do not see the tabs you see. Using Windows 10.

I have 1.3.5 on XP and don't see any tabs either.   Vince
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 12:13:18 AM »

Stephen, you must have a really old version of easy abc! There doesn't seem to be any tabs on the dialogue box you've shown a picture of. See my screen shots.

Pete - your file settings screen looks like my Linux installation which includes a midiplayer field which is missing from my Windows version. However, I can see you have specified Windows-style hierarchic names so I believe you are using a Windows version!  (:)

It also shows the version you are using is 1.3.6.4. When and from where did you get it?

Vince
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:15:16 AM by vof »
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 12:16:01 AM »

Thanks Roger

I have Easy ABC and the ABC files with chords. When I went to 'ABC Settings'/'Abc2midi' I only see a place to put the path to the binary file and not a menu item to adjust volume?

Stephen

I think you are looking at the 'File Settings' sub-menu? Looks as if you need a newer version as
other posters have just suggested? I am using version 1.3.7.1 (which is itself now a little out
of date, I think).

Here's the detail:

1: In EasyABC, select the 'Settings' menu from the list at the top left - it's the third one going L->R.
2: Now select 'ABC Settings' from the drop-down menu.
3: Select the Abc2midi tab in the window which appears - it's the second from left.
4: Set the volume for playback, chord and bass chord instrument using the sliders (set to 0, 127 and 127) [you
    can also set the instruments, tempo and tuning and other things here if required].
5: Check the 'Play chords' box.
6: Exit the settings dialogues by clicking the white-on-red 'X' at top right.

Bob's yer uncle...

I've attached a screenshot of the relevant dialogue box.

Good luck!

Roger

PS: It just occurs to me that EasyABC does not have chord profiles for some 'odd' time
signatures (5/4, 3/2, 9/8 from memory). You would need to insert these in the relevant
tunes using '%%MIDI gchord .....' instructions. I'm not enough of a musician yet to
be able to do this - I can't quite get the hang of how the chord profiles are constructed,
despite careful reading of the manual...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:32:59 AM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 12:25:40 AM »

Stephen - it looks like Nils is no longer supporting Easyabc and his website is now significantly behind the curve. The latest version on Sourceforge is 1.3.7.5 so the version we've downloaded from Nils' site is indeed quite old.

We have discussed this before here: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,17740.0.html but I had completely forgotten about it until just now. I used this update when installing on my Linux box but had not updated my XP installation (IIAB,DFI etc).

Vince
Vince O'Farrell

syale

• The Terrier
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 12:26:21 AM »

Found it at SourceForge https://sourceforge.net/projects/easyabc/ (ver 1.3.7.5) and it has the file settings tab! Off I go...

Thanks all
Stephen

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 08:51:28 AM »

I use chordbot on Android; I expect there's an iOS version too. It's pretty fantastic actually.

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 09:28:27 AM »

I have used Band-In-A-Box before, which has a very good selection of styles and backing chords/rhythms.  All a bit artificial and computery but pretty good for practice.

http://www.pgmusic.com/
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 11:18:06 PM »

Pete - your file settings screen looks like my Linux installation which includes a midiplayer field which is missing from my Windows version. However, I can see you have specified Windows-style hierarchic names so I believe you are using a Windows version!  (:)

It also shows the version you are using is 1.3.6.4. When and from where did you get it?

Vince

Hi Vince, my apologies for not replying at the time but I've had severe PC/broadband issues recently, now happily resolved. All of the questions in this thread have now been answered so all is well, to be honest I'd forgotton about the move from Nils' site to Sourceforge myself as it seems like ages since that happened!

For Facebook users there is an ABC Notation Users Group and all sorts of folk from all musical interests drop in there, well worth joining for fairly up to date news without the geek central issues of the Yahoo! group. Perhaps I should mention this in the ABC sub-forum too.  ::)

Pete.
Save
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 12:58:48 AM »

For Facebook users there is an ABC Notation Users Group and all sorts of folk from all musical interests drop in there, well worth joining for fairly up to date news without the geek central issues of the Yahoo! group. Perhaps I should mention this in the ABC sub-forum too.  ::)

Pete.
Save

Pete - I'm already a member of the FB group ;) but good idea to mention the group (and this thread?) in the ABC child forum. Vince
Vince O'Farrell

george garside

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 08:51:16 AM »

Stephen

As the one row with the economical 2 bass will naturally do ''its own thing'', ??slightly tuned light percussion, I would have thought that its the guitarist and keyboardist that need to practice suitable chords with you rather than you with them!

george >:E ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

stevejay

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2016, 02:47:02 PM »

I've been using Chordpulse at a fraction of the cost of Band in a Box, the trial is 14 days. For PC

Don't miss the editing functions such as drum break, chord inversions if you want to get fancy.
You have editing functions that I missed the first couple of times, adds value to product.

Style wise, No 5/4 time, a few 3/4,  2/4 mostly 4/4

http://www.chordpulse.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal