Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help re Removing old Bellows Tape  (Read 1692 times)

Jules0654

• Regular debater
Help re Removing old Bellows Tape
« on: December 05, 2016, 07:22:59 PM »

Hi. I am replacing bellows tape for the first time. I've had success so far until I've got to that tricky bit - where the bellows meets the frame. I've read various threads already covering this, and looked at videos, and they seem to say to prise the frame away and pick it out.....  But it's not that easy!  I'm scared of damaging it all if I try to pull the frame away from the bellows, and trying to dig at the little bits of paper with a scalpel is achieving nothing. I'm also conscious though that I have to have a gap to put the new tape into.

Any tips, tricks (in fact anything!) would be very much appreciated !
Pokerwork x 2, Erica, Liliput, Saltarelle Berry, Corona, Serenellini Dona, Hohner C/F and "something german".....becoming MAD?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Help re Removing old Bellows Tape
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 07:53:21 PM »

I've just been doing that job today.  It must be my least favourite job to do on a box.  Moistening the old tape with water helps to make it easier to remove.  I use a small paintbrush to apply water onto the tape, then leave for half an hour, if it doesn't peel off easily brush on more water and leave for another half hour.  A blunt blade is better for digging out the gap between the last fold and the frame.   Less risk of cutting what should not be cut.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 08:06:36 PM »

There's a thing called a "Spudger" which is used to pry open cell phone cases. Which sounds as though it might fit the bill. Judging by Theo's description.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

diatonix

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 10:19:12 PM »

I always remove the frames. Makes the job easier and saves a lot of time.

Jules0654

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 11:51:33 PM »

I've just been doing that job today.  It must be my least favourite job to do on a box.  Moistening the old tape with water helps to make it easier to remove.  I use a small paintbrush to apply water onto the tape, then leave for half an hour, if it doesn't peel off easily brush on more water and leave for another half hour.  A blunt blade is better for digging out the gap between the last fold and the frame.   Less risk of cutting what should not be cut.

Thank you Theo - much appreciated. I shall try this tomorrow. I was dampening it but obviously not enough!
Pokerwork x 2, Erica, Liliput, Saltarelle Berry, Corona, Serenellini Dona, Hohner C/F and "something german".....becoming MAD?

911377brian

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 10:41:15 AM »

I've just done this job. The decision to remove the frames was out of my hands as the old glue gave out as soon as I began to open the join and the frame literally fell off. Made the job much easier and quicker in the long run, no problem glueing them back on....

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »

I am stripping an old Hohner bellows. I haven't tried separating the frames, as I'm concerned about damaging the bellows. They seem pretty well stuck. My last attempt involved using a blunt knife between bellows and frame, it sort of worked but still caused damage.
Is there a safer method?
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 11:47:22 AM »

I always remove the frames. Makes the job easier and saves a lot of time.

So do I, for the same reasons. I didn't on the first one I ever did - wish I had.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

penn

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 12:45:48 PM »

I used a suggestion made here on some other thread to put the damp cloth in the microwave for a few seconds. The heat & steam helps loosen the glue a bit quicker than cooler dampness and it possibly isn't quite as wet. It can get hot tho' so you need to be careful.
Steve

Jules0654

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 07:13:32 PM »

This is working!  It's cost me my best vegetable knife though !!! Thanks Theo :-)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 05:42:49 AM »

A useful tool I have is one of those old bone handled dinner knives, with a rounded tip and as long a blade as you can get, but not sharpened. It doesn't rip holes in the card and is perfect for teasing off long strips of moistened tape. Also can be used to partially remove the bellows from the frame when taping, or in fact to remove the bellows altogether.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 06:22:21 AM »

An IKEA palette knife works well - its blade is not too thick, blunt-edged and flexible.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal