Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Music Room - Closing down  (Read 13733 times)

ocajun

• Regular debater
Re: The Music Room - Closing down
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2017, 10:50:56 PM »

The mandolin was my first Music Room instrument. It is still a fine thing twenty odd years later. They sold me my first box too, although I no longer have that. I can only recall one tea and melodeon afternoon. I was not really sure what I wanted at the time and probably could not have afforded it if I was but that, of course, was not a problem for these guys. Since I've been at a "relatively safe" distance I know I have mail ordered various bits and pieces and often wished I could drop by again sometime but somehow feel that I could have supported them a bit more. Does that make any sense? They sent out a few emails and I must confess to having been tempted by some of the clearance offers, including one of their iconic box bags (wee bit on the big side for the Club III but not outrageously so). I forwarded the bouzouki offers to a friend who was after one. I hope that was helping and not taking advantage.
I am sorry to see them go and will always be grateful for the instruments and things, the tea and the advice and friendliness. I wish everybody concerned all the very best.
Rod
Music from the swamps of Louisiana, the bogs of Ireland and the Moss of Balloch!

AirTime

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2017, 05:49:47 PM »

So what will happen to Sandpiper? Presumably there is a factory/workshop in China that has been set up to produce these. What happens to  the "infrastructure" created to produce Sandpipers? It would be a shame for this to be lost. Anybody else willing to step up & distribute Sandpiper?
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2017, 06:09:05 PM »

So what will happen to Sandpiper? Presumably there is a factory/workshop in China that has been set up to produce these. What happens to  the "infrastructure" created to produce Sandpipers? It would be a shame for this to be lost. Anybody else willing to step up & distribute Sandpiper?

I might be wrong but at Witney I got the impression that Martyn Banks was going to continue to distribute these alongside making the brand new Oakwood melodeons. 
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2017, 10:14:32 PM »

I might be wrong but at Witney I got the impression that Martyn Banks was going to continue to distribute these alongside making the brand new Oakwood melodeons.
That was my understanding too, Helena.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2017, 01:01:09 AM »

I would not be at all surprised if these came off the same conveyer belt as the Sandpiper

https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sales/products/GR42054/sherwood-shire-ii-dg-melodeon-cagnoni-reeds/

AirTime

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2017, 02:52:44 AM »

I would not be at all surprised if these came off the same conveyer belt as the Sandpiper

I wondered that too. Made in the same factory? Made to the same specifications? Same quality control?  I am very impressed with my Sandpiper - great quality for the price IMO. As I understand, it Hohner is discontinuing the Morgane line, which would seem to leave leave a significant space for a inexpensive Chinese-manufactured natural wood styled melodeon.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:00:37 AM by Andrius »
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

byteofthecherry

• Good talker
1 X Corona II(ADG)..1X Early 'Darth Vader' Corona IIIR (Eb/Bb/Ab)..2 X Erica(DG/CF)..1X Club VictoriaX(CF)..1 X Club II(Bb/Eb) 4 X Liliput (DG(red)/BbEb(purple)/GC(purple)..2 X preciosa(D/G(green)/Bb/Eb(Grey)+ lots of guitars/banjos/saxes/brass/synthy 'stuff'

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2018, 04:49:01 PM »

"compare:
https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sales/products/GR42054/sherwood-shire-ii-dg-melodeon-cagnoni-reeds/
and:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-Grade-23K8B-Diatonic-Wood-Button_60601893512.html?spm=a2700.7724857.2017115.218.6b8c60773MwQXN

Scarlatti?
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/31button-12bass-diatonic-button-accordion_857708789.html?spm=a2700.7724857.2017115.211.6b8c60773MwQXN"

I know that I'm thick; but what are we comparing here? The fact that both these instruments have Cagnoni reeds but wildly different prices?
And the Scarlatti? The Chinese will put anyone's name on their produce as long as you buy a certain number, there are loads of the self-same instruments with differing names on them. 
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2018, 08:27:04 AM »

First two are identical except different keyboard and most expensive part - label "Sherwood".
It seems they comes from the same factory.
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2018, 09:46:01 AM »

And......different grille. And......one has a treble end stop.
We could say that many older instruments also look identical, except for this or that; I've seen many which seemed to be replicas of Hohners, apart from very slight differences in appearance.

Mind you, I see your point about the prices being vastly different. "Buyer beware" is the old adage that we should all take to heart. But we should also bear in mind that a retailer has to source the instruments, actually pay for a minimum number, import them, stock them safely, advertise them, check them out before sale and give some degree of warranty. And all that whilst hoping that his investment eventually pays off!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:07:35 AM by Edward Jennings »
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2018, 10:35:55 AM »

It's more like the Sherwood III

It would be interesting to know how the mark up breaks down.

The wholesale price works out at about £212.
Then there is delivery to the supplier.
Badging.
They have been described as good value on this site so there may be some pre-sale fettling.
Business running costs and overheads.
Costs incurred as a result of  the franchising nature of the business.
Delivery to the customer, which is (at the moment) free.
Other costs?

Then there is the retailers profit.

Edit Xpost with Mr Jennings
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »

Import taxes, and VAT

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2018, 02:43:19 PM »

And, to reiterate, this cost is based on buying ten units. So you need to be sure of selling them all.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal