Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for a DIY project  (Read 3758 times)

Jamie Robertson

• Good talker
  • C/F Pokerwork, A/D Venezia, B/C Double Ray DeLuxe,
Advice for a DIY project
« on: December 24, 2007, 10:14:26 PM »

Hello all,

First, let me wish you all a Merry Christmas, and a happy and prosperous new year.  Second, let me beg for advice.  I just bought a German made C/F melodeon on the old eBay, and it's in better shape than I might have feared, but worse than I'd like.  It also duplicates the keys of my Pokerwork, so the tuning is redundant to my purposes.  The key action feels pretty good, the bellows are tight, the ends are sound, as is the keyboard.  That's the good stuff.  The bad stuff is the straps--no problem there, the valves are leather and pretty far away from the reeds, and the tuning is pretty bad.

What I'd really like to do is change keys.  The treble reeds are on four plates--two for each row.  What I need to know is:
1.  Where can I get either new or used reeds in the keys I want?
2.  If reeds generally come two on a plate, do I have to make new reed blocks, or can I modify the blocks I have?

I'd like to convert it to a B/C, or some other chromatic range, to see how I like it.  I don't want to re-invent the wheel, since I'm more of a player than anything, so the faster I can get it up and playing, the more I'll like it.

I'll welcome any and all advice you kind squeezers can provide.

PS: I live in the US, so that might be a concern as far as sources go, but not much.

Thanks,

Jamie Robertson
Music is the Best.  Frank Zappa.

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
Re: Advice for a DIY project
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 02:50:37 AM »

Hello all,

First, let me wish you all a Merry Christmas, and a happy and prosperous new year.  Second, let me beg for advice.  I just bought a German made C/F melodeon on the old eBay, (snip)

Hey, Jamie,  I don't know much about C/F melodeons but is it a "Club" model?   A good way to tell is if one button in the middle of the keyboard plays the same note push and pull.

Merry Christmas!  BH, NC USA
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

Jamie Robertson

• Good talker
  • C/F Pokerwork, A/D Venezia, B/C Double Ray DeLuxe,
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 03:18:46 AM »

I don't know much about C/F melodeons but is it a "Club" model?
Definitely not.  It's diatonic, 11 butons on the row closest to my hand, 10 on the one closest to the bellows.  It's sort of a post puberty D/G.
Music is the Best.  Frank Zappa.

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 07:31:50 AM »

If you want cheaper reeds for your first DIY, on the same mainland where you are the Irishdancemaster used to advertise reasonably priced Italian made B/C reeds:

http://www.irishdancemaster.com

Then there is this:

http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/index_files/Page3380.html

If you want Hohner reeds you can ask Hohner service.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 07:35:39 AM by risto »
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 02:10:01 PM »

I don't know much about C/F melodeons but is it a "Club" model?
Definitely not.  It's diatonic, 11 butons on the row closest to my hand, 10 on the one closest to the bellows.  It's sort of a post puberty D/G.

OK, that's good - that will make the kind of mods you want much easier. 
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal