Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stephane Milleret's online course  (Read 5248 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Stephane Milleret's online course
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 02:17:15 PM »

Just subtitling 9: West Nile Break' a 'gavotte de l'Aven caresse'. Its technique is very transferable to similar tunes eg Naragonia's  deux frères.  He does then advocate improvising on the chord sequence, though simply - arppegiating the chords.  He offers a demo on how that might go (rather than any 'rules'). 

Have changed above - this is all work in progress  :Ph
  _       _    _      _ 

Angienever

• Good talker
    • Sacred Shimmy Tribal Bellydance
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2016, 03:57:51 PM »

Hello - For my part I can say that these videos are definitely worth the money.  I am trying to follow them on a 2 row 8 bass G/C melodeon, which I have discovered means I will not be able to play the tunes by simply copying what is being demonstrated.  I think 3 of the 4 so far need a 3 row 12 or 18 bass instrument to play as demonstrated.  On a 2-row I have to figure out how to adapt them, but I guess that is not a bad thing and I would imagine is deliberate. The rhythmic aspect is particularly useful I think, both for the bass parts and the chordal accompaniment.

Champy, have you started working on La Promenade de Nervi yet?  I love the long sustained bass accompaniment, but I can't figure out how to replicate it since I have to switch bellows directions to hit that A that happens at the end of so many measures.  Have you stumbled across anything that works?

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 02:58:22 PM »

Hi chaps. I'm considering getting this course as a project for the new year and to try and escape the plateau that my learning has been stuck on for a while.
Are the videos on the course available all the time once released? So they'd be watchable whenever you needed, and that you could go back and forth between lessons at will? I think I have already gleaned that this is the case but as my French is poor I'd like to check before spending the money.
Thanks, Bob
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 09:09:44 AM »

It is certainly a 'step' - I can still remember my wonder listening to a young Pignol rolling out impro break for his 'Magic Lantern' tune at the back of St Chartier chateau in the early 90's. The realisation that 'there are other ways to play melodeon'!

As for Bob's query - I have to confess 'not sure'. I get these videos as a sub editor and am about to start on next year. They ARE put on the mustradem server in the first week of each Sept-June month, but although I've a free pass on there somewhere, confess I simply use the ones on my own PC! I can recommend the people there as utterly honest and straight, and teaching being teaching there'd be no sense in not being able to to revisit the streaming video as often as you need?

If it is a download - please someone else advise. Ditto any subscription for the whole year is surely … exactly that. It has to be all ten lessons.

Quick teaser for this month, due this week. Lesson 4 is Stéf's ever popular bourrée LINK: Les pieds de la dame aux clebs which I've previously posted here as a field recording with one of the best improvised breaks I've heard in France.  The link here is to the duo accordian version on album Sales Gosses - which is the version  taught (think it's only the A music).  The lesson is about breaking rhythm, cuts and mordants - so much wider application than 'learning a tune'.

If you cannot get my ripped  .vma version to work, there are also some on Youtube eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qARyFyDiPtQ - but Youtube seems to be broken this morning :-\
  _       _    _      _ 

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 10:46:58 AM »

Thanks for that. My youtube then scrolled on to Milleret and Pignol duo playing it. Absolutely love the tune, and the sound of their boxes in this.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 01:56:52 PM »

That's the original, ripped from Salles Goses CD  Same guys going slightly mad in a street festival in Drôme:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGPTV2xaFRk 

Stéf explains those right-end vamping techniqes the lesson, but if you want to emulate Pignol's solo you should be at Stage (course) d'Improvisation, Grenoble, 19-25 February ('full' it says here).
  _       _    _      _ 

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 09:12:17 AM »

Well now, Christmas came early and I've been gifted the Milleret online course, which I've spent just half an hour looking at the first tune.
This is looking very promising for me. If I'd been a snooker player it would have been Steve Davis, EDIT -I   don't mean in skill, just in approach -  I really don't mind the care needed to learn from the course.

The first tune is something I could have learnt from the sheet music, but that's missing the point. The clarity of articulation is something to emulate, and things like using the air button during the end note of a phrase, even when the bellows are being reversed on the next phrase is really eye opening (I guess this is covered in the bellows specific video).
I'll take my time learning the tune in order to pick up some technique on the way and keep you posted.
One small thing is that the subtitles aren't there on Internet Explorer - I don't need them yet as my French is ok for this sort of thing, but I might check out Chrome later.

The timing of this gift is great for me as I finish my heavy workload in about 10 days time, so I'll be relaxing more and learning through the summer.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:07:00 AM by playandteach »
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 11:43:29 PM »

The betas for next seasons courses arrived this morning for sub titles. Not yet fully downloaded when I left the house, but I know the first one (September) was planned to be the B music "bridge" of British Swing

will have a look into the subtitles issue. Not used my ticket, as I have the beta's
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:45:20 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal