Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shipping from uk to US  (Read 1170 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
shipping from uk to US
« on: December 13, 2016, 09:00:49 AM »

Anyone got any tips when shipping a box to the US from the UK?  Are there any extra hidden costs...what happens on the US end...is there a best way to get funds from a US buyer?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: shipping from uk to US
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 09:14:50 AM »

I've just sent one so I can tell you what I did.
Arranged payment by PayPal,  quick and simple though the fees are high on an expensive box.  The American retail banking system is complicated and people I have sold to in the past find it difficult to send money converted to another currency.  I have tried TransferWise but never succeeded.
For this delivery I used UPS booked through Interparcel.com.  Sometimes the post office/parcel force is better.  If the address is a PO box then you must use Parcel force because it uses USPS as delivery agent.  Couriers seem unwilling to deliver to a PO box.
There is import duty of about 3% which the recipient may have to pay.
On customs paperwork always describe any squeezebox as an accordion.  Other terms may be misunderstood and cause delay.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 09:35:19 AM »

Hi Theo...brilliant. Thanks.
wrt PayPal.. you mean the % they charge on the transaction? or the ex rate, or both?  I have just converted my £ price to $ (using a buy rate in the US) to give a $ price to the interested party.
Transferwise ... is this because US users can't easily use it?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 09:41:52 AM »

I send my US buyer a PayPal invoice.  That shows them the exact $ price.  PayPal fees add up to about  4.5% including currency conversion. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 01:16:05 PM »

Hi
I use Transferwise,they have updated things so fairly simple,I use Transglobal Express as booking agent and UPS as carrier,they deal with customs paperwork very easy.

Pete
Acorn Instruments
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal