Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken air valve spring  (Read 1414 times)

Angienever

• Good talker
    • Sacred Shimmy Tribal Bellydance
Broken air valve spring
« on: December 20, 2016, 04:27:23 PM »

Hey, players.  The spring underneath my air valve lever just broke.  Any idea where I can buy a replacement for this part?
My gramma asked me to play for her on Christmas and now I don't think I'll be able to.   :'(

tirpous

Re: Broken air valve spring
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 04:33:03 PM »

The Button Box or Scott Bellinger should be able to help you.  See their contact info here: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/page,shops_repairers.html

Angienever

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 04:58:04 PM »

Thanks.  I just sent some pictures to the Button Box to see if they can match up the part. 

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 05:56:50 PM »

In the interim, you could use an elastic band (oops almost said "rubber"), assuming it can be anchored somewhere.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 08:15:47 PM »

In the interim, you could use an elastic band (oops almost said "rubber"), assuming it can be anchored somewhere.
Alternatively, you could try making a temporary spring using some stiff wire of similar diameter, or use a safety pin or similar, cut to size and suitably shaped/bent with a pair of pliers. Players have used all sorts of ingenious replacements for broken springs. Use your imagination!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Angienever

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »

Just as an update, Liberty Bellows ended up being a huge help to me for this repair.  I never heard back from the Button Box after talking to them on the phone and sending them an e-mail with the pictures they requested, but I called Liberty Bellows and they sent me four different replacement springs so I could choose the one that worked best for my instrument.  My boyfriend and I installed it yesterday and I am back to having a working accordion with a lovely springy air valve button.  Thanks for all your suggestions!

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 11:28:39 AM »

Bring the elastic band out of a hole and use the end wood grill to anchor it by trapping in the side.Or get a piano sping or a spring from the top of a ball point pen and trap it under the wood lever sorted. You can also make quite a passable spring out of wire (paper clip) instructions on line rather than explain but shape it round the ball point pen you just broke.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 06:28:30 PM »

The loop of spring on a safety pin works fine in a pinch, they come in a lot of sizes, you can mod them with needle nose pliers to fit.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal