Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it me or the melodeon?  (Read 1243 times)

Richard Shaul

• Good talker
Is it me or the melodeon?
« on: December 21, 2016, 08:57:45 PM »

Hi, I wanted to have a go at Andy Cutting's In a Continental Mood. It's way above my current skill level, but a great tune, so I thought I would give it a try. The right hand side isn't too bad, and I might even get it, eventually. However, left hand side is tricky. Looking at youtubes of other people playing, this uses continuous chords rather than the tapped basses and chords that I have been used to so far. The problem is that if I try to play a continuous chord with a moderate level of pressure on the bellows, the right hand melody doesn't sound. If I increase the pressure so that that I can hear the melody I run out of air long before I have an opportunity to use the air button to rectify the situation. Is there a technique I can try to improve this or is this more to do with the design or construction of the box I am using, which is a Sherwood Shire II? Although this is a Chinese made model, it has proved fine for the oom-pa style tunes that I have managed. Am I asking too much of it?

In defence of the Sherwood, I have also tried the tune on my Hohner Club Viktoria, which is a bit easier, but I still can't get past the first 2 bars. Any thoughts please?

Richard

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Is it me or the melodeon?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 09:19:31 PM »

An easy suggestion:

Play chords only (no basses) and without thirds if you have a stop.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal