Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: O Gin I Were a Baron's Heir in G  (Read 4681 times)

HallelujahAl

O Gin I Were a Baron's Heir in G
« on: July 08, 2009, 06:45:11 PM »

Hi - having now discovered MuseScore, I'm now starting to write out all my favourite tunes. Thought I'd start putting one or two up here as and when. My absolute favourite tune is 'O Gin I Were a Baron's Heir' which I first came across on the 'Dancing with the Shands' DVD. Sir Jimmy played it as a solo on a Pokerwork melodeon - so hauntingly beautiful. Anyway - thought I'd write it out and put it up. I'm sure there are other versions of this tune out there (although I've not found any on the net) - but I've done this one out with simplified bass line and chord symbols. It's pitched in G - though I tend to play it in F usually.
AL

george garside

Re: O Gin I Were a Baron's Heir in G
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:23:40 PM »

Its a C#D erica that Sir Jimmy is using on the dvd & I have always assumed that he was playing it in A ( which is same fiingring as G on a BC.)  I quite like it in Bflat.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

HallelujahAl

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 08:56:25 PM »

Its a C#D erica that Sir Jimmy is using on the dvd & I have always assumed that he was playing it in A ( which is same fiingring as G on a BC.)  I quite like it in Bflat.
Sorry George - but unless my memory is totally shot it was a Pokerwork in my DVD unless ericas used to look like pokerworks back then. My copy is packed away in the loft - but I'm definitely going to have to go and unpack it now ;D
As to the key - well Bb is great, but I learnt to play it on my erica C/F box.
AL

With the flick of a switch and here it is in Bb

DRUMKILBO

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 09:53:06 AM »

Without digging out the video and looking at it, I would be fairly certain the the melodeon the Sir Jimmy played on it was a B/C Erica and he would be playing the tune in the key of G. I seem to remember that he told me that he'd fitted Morino reeds into this particular box, but I'll check with his son next time I'm speaking to him.

Ian.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 10:29:31 AM »

Ah - Ian that's it - I'm definitely going up into my loft this evening as I must be going MAD! I don't doubt you - just my own memory!
AL

HallelujahAl

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »

Without digging out the video and looking at it, I would be fairly certain the the melodeon the Sir Jimmy played on it was a B/C Erica and he would be playing the tune in the key of G. I seem to remember that he told me that he'd fitted Morino reeds into this particular box, but I'll check with his son next time I'm speaking to him.

Ian
Well done George!...Ah Ian, having heaved many boxes around my loft this evening I can now give the definitive answer. I was wrong and you are right and wrong. Yes, its a Hohner Erica. But George is absolutely right, the great man plays it in the key of A major. Thanks for info!
AL

DRUMKILBO

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 08:15:06 PM »

Hope the back is ok after all that activity, Al. I assumed wrongly about the key then, every other recording he did of it was in G, I wonder why he changed to A for that one ? It would be wonderful in any key from the great man himself anyway !

Ian.

george garside

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 10:38:46 PM »

possibly because  it  sounds brighter in A on the c#d erica which I understand is now in the possesion or his  grandaughter Dianne

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »

Having never heard of this tune before, I thought I'd try out Al's 'dots' and see what happened.  Here's the result, obviously put together on the spur of the moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9RlXzbtxVM

I've no idea whether the end result sounds anything like it's supposed to, but it seems a nice enough tune anyway.  Anyhow, thanks Al for writing that out - at least you know one person's now given it a go.

Guy
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

HallelujahAl

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 07:21:49 AM »

Thanks for that rendition Guy - its a beaut isn't it?
AL

DRUMKILBO

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 11:57:24 AM »

You're probably right about it sounding brighter in A George, and on reflection, the tuning being C#/D, you're probably right about that as well. Not having one of these boxes, would I be right in saying that if you play a tune in A on a C#/D then the fingering is the same as G on a B/C ? Which would also explain why he would play it in A. Jimmy was more inclined to transpose A tunes into G as he reckoned that they sounded better on the button box in G, largely thro' the bellows work involved, I think. Jimmy Junior certainly has all his Dad's other boxes but you're probably right about the Erica being in Diane's possession as I don't recall seeing it at 'Muchty.For those of you interested, there was a DVD brought out last year all about Sir Jimmy [Miner to Maestro] and there was a lovely bit filmed in his son's house about 25 years ago and Jimmy was demonstrating a lot of his boxes starting with a single row melodeon and going right up to the unique Hohner Gola 3 row.

Ian.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 12:28:53 PM »

Jimmy was more inclined to transpose A tunes into G as he reckoned that they sounded better
Funny that...I do the same - but for a different reason. Easier to play!
Ah well, back to work ;D
AL

DRUMKILBO

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 01:04:08 PM »

Easier to play from the point of view that it's easier to keep the bellows in on the key of G especially on the 2 row, as well, Al.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal